You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football 2016/17.

Trumo

When Ronnie Whelan played for us, at first I thought, "what does he do?" Apart from obvious highlights, like that curler in the cup final from the edge of the box. But I remember a general feeling of "meh" about him, to be honest - certainly in relation to some of his peers, who could tackle better, shoot better, score more, etc.

But over time it dawned on me that Whelan was, in fact, a terrific player. He always showed for the ball and found good positions and kept it moving and so on.

I think Wijnaldum is that sort, obviously with a more modern twist, as he's faster. He suffers a bit in the eyes of fans as he's no Souness, or Kennedy, or whoever you want to mention from over the years at Liverpool, as there's a deep pot of great players who played in midfield and they had a clear role we could all understand and rate.

But we've also had a few who were in the side and they didn't get as many plaudits, but they were good players and the team was better for it.

It's early days, but I think Wijnaldum may be that sort of player.

• Upvote 3

Any one seen the recent Lee Trundle clips? Injury time hattrick and everyone a good one. Recently come out of retirement and playing in Wales.

Cracking goals . He's playing for Llanelli Town FC and they are playing Abergavenny Town . They are top of the league ( Wales Div 2 league ) with a 100 per cent record . Still got magic in his boots .

Don't know that they'll struggle that badly, I think Janssen is meant to be a decent goalscorer, but it could be an extra 3-4 points dropped over that time, and that could be the difference for us pipping them to fourth come May.  Probably won't end up that way, but normally it's us missing crucial players for half the season so it'd be nice if it went the other way for once.

• Upvote 1

He'll miss next couple of weeks - have a nice break and rest whilst that international shite is on and be fit for the following game... of course if he played for us he would be out for a minimum of 8 weeks.

If he played for us he would miss a couple of weeks, be wheeled out for the International and miss an additional 8 weeks.

I doubt a manager would take such a stance with a player he saw as key, but since Guardiola clearly doesn't regard Toure as a key player, telling his gobshite of an agent to fucking behave is a good call. At the very least, Toure should be telling Seluk to shut the fuck up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37420742

Yaya Toure: Man City boss Pep Guardiola wants apology before midfielder returns

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he will not pick Yaya Toure until his agent apologises for criticising the decision to leave the player out.

Toure, 33, has made one appearance for City this season and he was left out of the Champions League squad.

His agent, Dimitri Seluk, claimed the midfielder had been "humiliated", and Guardiola said: "Seluk must apologise. If he doesn't, he [Toure] won't play."

But Seluk told BBC Sport: "What do I need to apologise for?"

He added: "He should speak to Yaya. Yaya is doing his job.

"We will see what happens. His contract expires at the end of the season and in January he will be free to go."

Guardiola, who was Barcelona boss when Toure was sold to City in 2010, said of the player: "It was so difficult for me to put him out of the Champions League, so difficult. I know him, I know he's a good good guy.

"But the day after his manager [seluk] spoke. In that moment Yaya is out.

"I cannot accept as a coach, when his player doesn't play, going to the media to speak and speak and speak."

He said Seluk did not have the "courage" to call him but said Seluk could always apologise via the media. "When that happens Yaya will be part of the group and he will have the same chance to play all the games."

It is understood the first Toure knew of his manager's stance against playing him was when he announced it at Tuesday's news conference.

Guardiola was speaking soon after Toure announced his international retirement.

Having made his debut for the Ivory Coast in 2004, Toure won 113 international caps, winning the Africa Cup of Nations in 2015.

"Writing this note was probably 'the most difficult match of my life'," he said in a statement.

"After 14 years at the highest level, I'm sure this is the right time for me."

Meanwhile, City captain Vincent Kompany could make his first appearance of the season in Wednesday's League Cup third-round tie at Swansea.

"He has trained a lot and he will be ready and be part of the group and compete with other central defenders to win his position," said Guardiola.

Lee Trundle was very talented and a bit of a maverick throwback.

Yaya Youre's agent is a prick.

Yaya is a knobhead as well. Wasn't that long ago that he was crying about not getting a birthday cake. I'm sure the £250k a week he gets makes up for it in a small way if they forgot.

Needs to be in the "Shitness of Modern Football" thread really.

Yaya is a knobhead as well. Wasn't that long ago that he was crying about not getting a birthday cake. I'm sure the £250k a week he gets makes up for it in a small way if they forgot.

Needs to be in the "Shitness of Modern Football" thread really.

Indeed. I offered to knock him up a little Victoria sponge and a couple of candles for a few days wages. Ungrateful cunt.

Guardiola's binning of Hart, and giving no fucks about the inevitable xenophobic, laughable, fallout from our press, and his binning of that lazy, temperamental diva, Toure, are rare examples of good things happening in modern football.

Yeah, he's been impressive. Seems a thoroughly decent man.

Hope his team hit a sticky patch soon and completely turn on each other and him, though.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, he's been impressive. Seems a thoroughly decent man.

Hope his team hit a sticky patch soon and completely turn on each other and him, though.

I hope they win every single game in the league bar those against us. We aren't finishing above them, no-one is, so I hope they take as many points off Arsenal/United/Spurs etc as possible, teams we do have a chance of finishing above.