You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Whats your favourite war film ever?

Bjornebye

Like somebody said earlier,the foreign war films are streets ahead of the Hollywood cringefests even though I used to love The Great Escape and a lot of the other stuff when I was younger.

The World at Documentary series was definitive for me and should be on the curriculum. Those apocalypse World War 1 and 2 are brilliant also and do a great job of telling the whole story in an abridged way without neglecting too much necessary information. Canadian made too.

• 5 months later...

Just bought a load

Anyone seen any of these German/Russian /Asian ones

1939 Battle of Westerplatte

Admiral

Attack On Leningrad

Exodus Frozen Silence

Rhineland

Saints and Soldiers - The Void

Saving Private Ryan

When Trumpets Fade Winter War

Ambush 1941

Stalingrad

Where Eagles Dare

The Dirty Dozen

Battle Of The Bulge

Patton

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Von Ryan's Express

Sand Pebbles

The Longest Day

Twelve O'Clock High

A Bridge Too Far

The Great Escape

The Battle of Britain

About £25 for the lot.

Not sure what that is. Ill have to have a look. He might be as mad as a box of frogs but he can make a decent entertaining,historically wrong film.

Hacksaw Ridge it's called, remember the trailer being decent and could swear it was being discussed either on TV or Radio in more than positive tones but could have mis-heard.

Yeah good reviews

Hacksaw Ridge received positive reviews from critics. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 86%, based on 349 reviews, with an average rating of 7.2/10.On Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average to reviews, the film has a score of 71 out of 100, based on 44 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[53] On CinemaScore, audiences gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale.[5

Anthropoid.

A bit hit and miss, biggest problem for me was the fact it had English actors speaking English with a Czech accent, I get they're trying to make it clear that this wasn't carried out by English people but I had to keep going back to listen to bits again as it was really hard to understand them until it got a decent way into the film. 

Overall it's pretty good, it still portrayed the tension of the attempt on Heydrich and the ending of the film really well even though I was watching it as someone who knew the story really well anyway. Trying not to give anything away there for anyone who either hasn't seen it or doesn't know the story already.

Solid 6/10, would have been a lot higher if they either skipped the accents or just got it played by local actors and subtitled it.