You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Whats your favourite war film ever?

Bjornebye

Full Metal Jacket may be the most overrated film of all time. It was filmed entirely in England and it shows. It looks ridiculous. Indeed, ridiculously stagey. That's without getting into the politics of it...

I agree with this. Take away the string of memorable insults by Ermey, and there is nothing else there.

Not necessarily favourites but very good anyway.

The Counterfeiters, based on the story of the Jews who the Germans had making counterfeit money during the war.

Conspiracy, the most entertaining and grim telling of a committee meeting ever. Done by BBC and HBO and telling the story of the Wansee Conference. 

Most of the other stuff others have mentioned. 

One thing that is very interesting I've found is that most of the foreign war films seem to be a lot more matter of fact and tell a straighter story. Likewise something like the book Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger, there is no romantic notion of war in it, he just writes a brutal account of his own involvement in the war and is quite open about the fact that despite all of the brutality of it that part of him quite enjoyed the thrill of it all. It's a huge contrast to the largely romanticised British accounts I think. 

• Upvote 1

Genuinely surprised that nobody has mentioned Terence Malick's The Thin Red Line. One of the most thought provoking and moving takes on war i've seen. Superb cast, awesome cinematography and a brilliant soundtrack by Hans Zimmer. 

That'd be my choice. Thought We Were Soldiers was very good also. Not sure if Zulu has been mentioned but I'd always watch that when it's on - fucking great film.

• Upvote 1

Zulu is a fucking great film, this is one of the greatest scenes in film history for me.

I served with Roukes Drift company in Iraq the direct descendants of this unit.

Thats fuck all mate, Michael Caines character is based on Stringvests great great great great great grandson

• Upvote 1

Genuinely surprised that nobody has mentioned Terence Malick's The Thin Red Line. One of the most thought provoking and moving takes on war i've seen. Superb cast, awesome cinematography and a brilliant soundtrack by Hans Zimmer. 

Also has some fucking boss lines in it that are used in UNKLE's Eye for an eye:

This great evil, where's it coming from?

How'd it steal into the world?

Who's doing this? Who's killing us?

Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known