You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Whats your favourite war film ever?

Bjornebye

Full Metal Jacket just left me cold.  I thought the drill sergeant scenes were stagey and contrived and Private Pile hammed it up soemthing shocking.

I'd really like to see a Vietnam film that doesn't portray the aggressors in a sympathetic light.  Most Vietnam films strike me as watching a bunch of Nazis moaning about how they might get attacked by the Resistance.

Wow, amazing critique but each to their own.  

With regard to your second paragraph FMJ is quite a damning indictment of Vietnam.  

Wow, amazing critique but each to their own.  

With regard to your second paragraph FMJ is quite a damning indictment of Vietnam.  

I'm fully expecting to get levels of neg usually reserved for JP over on the darkside for that post.

I've only watched it once, about 25 years or something ago.  Maybe I should give it another go.

• Upvote 1

I'm fully expecting to get levels of neg usually reserved for JP over on the darkside for that post.

I've only watched it once, about 25 years or something ago.  Maybe I should give it another go.

Definitely.  Watch it now, right now.  Sir, aye aye, Sir.  

Schindlers List was excellent.

Loved Saving Private Ryan, especially for the opening scene.

Born on the 4th of July is also a great film and one the mad fella should have got an Oscar for (although I don't know who won it that year instead of him)

And of course the always mentioned Platoon and Full Metal Jacket.

Casualties of War was also very good.

Full Metal Jacket just left me cold. I thought the drill sergeant scenes were stagey and contrived and Private Pile hammed it up soemthing shocking.

I'd really like to see a Vietnam film that doesn't portray the aggressors in a sympathetic light. Most Vietnam films strike me as watching a bunch of Nazis moaning about how they might get attacked by the Resistance.

You off your tits?

Schindlers List. Incredible film. I watch it from time to time and it still moves me deeply. I'm waiting until the kids are a little older but they need to see it, not least for educational purposes. Saving Private Ryan is my second favourite. Fantastic action, very well made, a good story and characters with lots of layers.

They are the best two war films for me, for different reasons.

Full Metal Jacket just left me cold.  I thought the drill sergeant scenes were stagey and contrived and Private Pile hammed it up soemthing shocking.

I'd really like to see a Vietnam film that doesn't portray the aggressors in a sympathetic light.  Most Vietnam films strike me as watching a bunch of Nazis moaning about how they might get attacked by the Resistance.

Full Metal Jacket may be the most overrated film of all time. It was filmed entirely in England and it shows. It looks ridiculous. Indeed, ridiculously stagey. That's without getting into the politics of it...

Full Metal Jacket may be the most overrated film of all time. It was filmed entirely in England and it shows. It looks ridiculous. Indeed, ridiculously stagey. That's without getting into the politics of it...

The movie falls apart in the second hour, I think.

• Upvote 1

Full Metal Jacket easily, and the most popular amongst squads (It was in my unit anyway most could recite every word)

Quite realistic, every Platoon in training has its Private Pile that gets the rest beasted, one or two might get a bed visit during the night and the odd bloke tries to do themself in, the Drill Instructor is spot on also.

Full Metal Jacket is indeed a great film. I can understand why some people aren't too enamoured of the acting but that is something common with Kubrick films - there is a stylised element to the acting and scenes in a lot of his films which can look 'forced' or 'unnatural' compared to the norm.

While it often seems like 2 seperate films, both parts show the impact of the reality of the situations on Private Joker's bravado and demeanour. During the training sequences, he thinks it might be a bit of a laugh but is steadily ground down, is hugely conflicted when the others want retribution on Private Pyle for having to take his punishment for him, and numbed by the events in the toilets. While out on Vietnam, he thinks being a reporter for Stars & Stripes could be a bit of a laugh but then sees the grim reality of a mass burial site, a platoon that is ambushed by a sniper and then the inner conflict again when faced with killing the wounded sniper.