You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Whats your favourite war film ever?

Bjornebye

Well Monty was a complete tit. He make a dick of himself multiple times,even had to be slapped down by the US high command when he went too far.

Auchinleck was doing a good job in the Desert but was shoved aside for Monty. He also made a complete fucking hash with Market Garden and cost the lives of thousands of airbourne forces because he wanted to be the first over the Rhine

To be fair Patton and most of the Generals were egotistical twats

Well Monty was a complete tit. He make a dick of himself multiple times,even had to be slapped down by the US high command when he went too far.

Auchinleck was doing a good job in the Desert but was shoved aside for Monty. He also made a complete fucking hash with Market Garden and cost the lives of thousands of airbourne forces because he wanted to be the first over the Rhine

To be fair Patton and most of the Generals were egotistical twats

Harsh, that. Market Garden was a gamble that did shorten the war, and nearly came off, and was approved by Allied Command.

I think he was very aware usually of his men dying that's why he never attacked until he had the proper resources and supplies and the time was right.

I remember talking to an old family friend who was at Caen and said just how well the Germans defended it and how tough it was to kick them out. The British handed over to the Yanks after taking it, and moved on, only for the Yanks to lose it again from a German counter attack, meaning they had to turn around and kick the Germans out again. Not sure if this is historically accurate, and can't be arsed to Google it, but he said the Brits never had a high opinion of the Americans.

All of the Allies had good and bad parts of the Army but anyone who just says they didnt rate the US troops is talking out their backside. You only have to look at the like of the 101st Airbourne,the 92nd Colored Infantry,the red ball express drivers to see how bloody good they were.

Monty ego was massive and he was slapped down by Allied high command a few times for well over stepping the line.

The main idea was fine but any slight issue and it was always going to fail,like it did.

It was pushed through by Mionty wanting to be the man to win the war

• Upvote 1

Sorry wasnt meant to come across that way. The practice of dubbing every foreign movie is not that common is all. In fact I have always been a proponent of the "dubbing is evil" campaign.

I didn't take it like that,I was being a bit sarky,that's all.

I agree regarding dubbing,its terrible. Subtitles are fine for me.

• 1 year later...

“A tragic day.

Where Eagles Dare is my favourite war film. I must have seen it over a hundred times. I've even been to the castle.

Sadly the JU-52 used in the film crashed yesterday killing all onboard.”

I’ve just had a slap in the face with that!

Firstly, I had no idea that a commercial company could use vintage planes with health & Safety being as stringent as it is these days, and secondly, apart from the tragic loss of life, what a sad end for that wonderful old Junkers.

Rewatch Stalingrad the other day.

Not the best film and looks more dated than it actually is but does show what a cunt it must have been to be a German soldier in Russia after the invasion ground to a halt and winter kicked in.

Its not the best but a Bridge top Far is probably up there as one of my favourites.

• 2 years later...

I have recently changed my mind. 

Waterloo is the greatest war film of alltime. Rarely deviates from history, brilliantly filmed. All the battles are shot with extras. Ukrainian director Sergei Bondarchuk filmed it with the Red Army used as the soldiers. Its absolutely brilliantly done. 

Full film is on YouTube. 

Small scene from the charge of the Scots Grays

I have to admit I do love the stories and the language used in the battles of them days, especially some of the officers. 

Two version of events when Lord Picton is hit by a Canon. 

One of the last cannon shots fired that day hit his right leg, necessitating its amputation above the knee

By God, sir, I've lost my leg!", to which Wellington replied "By God, sir, so you have!"

Or

"I have got it at last," to which the Duke of Wellington responded, "No? Have you, by God?"