You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Second Teams/Soft Spots

Moctezuma

I remember viewing Celtic as a second team, and when Liverpool went to play them and they gave such a beautiful rendition of YNWA before the game, I was torn.

By the time McManaman hit that wonderful equaliser, I was not torn. 

Soft spot for Huddersfield Town. Used to go & watch them occasionally when I lived closer to Huddersfield than I do now. Living in Leeds you might think I'd perhaps follow them but fuck that, the gobshites. I love it when Leeds get beat. 

• Upvote 2

Whilst we all love the team that plays in red are there any carrying on with a bit on the side? I'm referring to soft spots and second teams, a good chunk of people seem to have these.

The most bizarre/obscure reason for following-having a soft spot for an additional team will get some rep.

Myself:

Hearts- Used to live round the corner from Tynecastle which is an ace ground to watch football in, I like that it's right in the town (especially when fans flood the streets and roads around the ground, so much more preferable to out of town soulless new builds). The atmosphere tends to be good too with the stands so close to the pitch.

Tranmere Rovers- my mum is from this neck of the woods, also due to the proximity we seem to have had numerous links with them down the years including the Ressies playing at Prenton recently and Aldo leading the line in the 90's plus their 3-0 win over Everton in the cup was funny and ace.

When I was a kid I used to like Lazio until I cottoned on to their fanbase's politics, I think this must have come from James Richardson's ice cream eating vehicle Gazzetta Football Italia in the 90's. The intro to the programme had some hoarse commentator shouting Goooooaaaalllllaaazzzzooo which I misheard as Goal Lazio!, something that as a 5/6 year old I would then ape when thumping the ball past my brother/neighbours on the patch of grass near our house.

I have a soft spot for Ferencvaros solely because of the warmth of feeling their fans showed to me and a mate when we said we supported Liverpool (if anyone knows why this is that would be really appreciated- perhaps because we played them in the fairs cup in the 60's and 70's). There was even a couple of lads with Carragher shirts on in their away support. We got in the ground free (they were playing Honved) and were given free booze and drugs, which was good of them.

A mate of when had the same thing with Ferencvaros fans abroad somewhere , apparently he mentioned Florian Albert , who is a local hero.

I believe a lot of people attended the match at anfield to see him, European footballer of the year 1967.

As for second teams it used to be Liverpool reserves as there's no room for anybody else ,though I do look for other teams results such as Coventry and Burnley as they where my first away games years ago , also look out for Southport and Preston ( shanks) I think we signed Peter Thompson from Preston , Phil Neal?

• Upvote 1

Leicester, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Benfica, Burnley, Celtic, Wigan, Northampton, PSV, the German national team, the Chilean national team, the Spanish national team, Manchester City women and the US women's national team.

• Upvote 1

Leicester, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Benfica, Burnley, Celtic, Wigan, Northampton, PSV, the German national team, the Chilean national team, the Spanish national team, Manchester City women and the US women's national team.

The funny thing is I can't tell whether or not you're being serious.

• Upvote 2

A mate of when had the same thing with Ferencvaros fans abroad somewhere , apparently he mentioned Florian Albert , who is a local hero.

I believe a lot of people attended the match at anfield to see him, European footballer of the year 1967.

As for second teams it used to be Liverpool reserves as there's no room for anybody else ,though I do look for other teams results such as Coventry and Burnley as they where my first away games years ago , also look out for Southport and Preston ( shanks) I think we signed Peter Thompson from Preston , Phil Neal?

Phil Neal was Northampton Town I think?

My Soft spot is for Shrewsbury Town as I lived there for a while. Also Dortmund for the same reason. 

I'm not bothered about their results but I quite like the following teams.

Real Sociedad (Since John Aldridge played for them)

York City and Whitby Town (I live in North Yorkshire now)

Sampdoria (Boss home kit colours)

I always liked Ajax (boss kit) , but switched allegiance to Feyenoord when Dirk Kuyt rejoined them.