You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League 2016/17 Fixtures - Wed 15th June

navbasi

First five - fifteen points. Then it's a fucking stroll. Six games in December will see us flying into the New Year with at least a ten point lead over second placed City, and we will be presented with the Premier League trophy after the Palace game in April. We could use the last few games to blood some of the new batch of youth players coming through and get Sturridge back to fitness.

Not really bothered by the fixture list per se, but would like to play the better teams the weekend after they play in Europe, but doesn't seem we have many of them at first glance.

Also worried about the potential of a few wallopings in pre-season to put us on a downer. Don't ever remember so many tough warm up games, particularly as we have more players at the Euros than anybody else bar Juve, coming back late.

Some Bloo in work couldn't wait to laugh about "all your supporters going mad on Twitter, saying it's a conspiracy to get you relegated".

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fans-react-premier-league-11476049

Except, of course, nobody was going mad - and the one person who gave the Echo their headline about relegation then had to explain to the useless nobwarts that it was a joke.

I've never understood why everyone doesn't play the same set of 19 opponents in the same order.  So, if you start with Arsenal away, then Burnley at home, your 20th match is Arsenal at home and your 21st is Burnley away.  That'd be much simpler and fairer (because it would reduce the possibility of, for example, playing the same team twice during an injury lay-off for their best player).

I've never understood why everyone doesn't play the same set of 19 opponents in the same order.  So, if you start with Arsenal away, then Burnley at home, your 20th match is Arsenal at home and your 21st is Burnley away.  That'd be much simpler and fairer (because it would reduce the possibility of, for example, playing the same team twice during an injury lay-off for their best player).

I'm sure that's how it's done in Spain (and Germany as well, I think).

The British leagues have an uniquely high number of multi club towns. Combine the need to ensure the likes of ourselves and Everton are not at home on the same day for attendance and police reasons, with historic requirements that boxing day games are as local as possible, and television requirements to maximise the potential of fixtures, and a strict rota becomes impossible.

Before the then Football League got its fixture computer thingy, teams used to play the same opponent home and away before the next set of fixtures. So we'd play say stoke home one week then away the next. The next game we'd play mabe west ham home and away etc.

With the new fandangled computer thingy, the FL realised it could jumble the fixture list up to make it more appealling for fans. I think this came in around the time of the 1967 season start.

End of the day, it doesnt matter when you play an opponent. Their star player may or may not be suspended or out injured when you play them but not when arsenal or chelsea play them. The oppos could be in a run of form when they play manchester united or spurs but not when we play them.

Whatever way you look at it, football has its ups and downs and each team has to make the best of it.

• Upvote 2

The British leagues have an uniquely high number of multi club towns. Combine the need to ensure the likes of ourselves and Everton are not at home on the same day for attendance and police reasons, with historic requirements that boxing day games are as local as possible, and television requirements to maximise the potential of fixtures, and a strict rota becomes impossible.

Why?

The bit about making sure that the likes of Liverpool and Everton are not at home on the same day argues in favour of my approach; you do the complicated calculations to make sure that doesn't happen and then you use that template again (but changing all the Hs to As) rather than starting from scratch.  Not that the FA are arsed about fans travelling long distances on Boxing Day or New Year, but even if they were, why not play someone local-ish on matchday 18 or 20 and have the return fixture on matchday 37 or 1?  The telly might want to schedule some big do-or-die games towards the end of the season - say, they might want to pair Man City with Chelsea on matchday 36, on the assumption that it will be a key title match - so that just means the return fixture slots into matchday 17.

What I'm proposing makes scheduling easier for the schedulers and - I believe - fairer for the clubs and more interesting for the fans.

(As an aside, there's nothing special about the number of multi-club towns in the Premier League.  London is unusual, in a European sense, for having several top clubs; probably only Moscow compares.  But outside London, there's only Liverpool and Manchester that will have a same-city derby next year.  La Liga also has three cities with derbies.  Go further afield and you get silly situations like Uruguay, where 13 out of 16 top flight clubs are in Montevideo.)

• 4 weeks later...

Utter utter bollocks. Just queued an hour and a half for tickets, got on, selected my games, my first success in a year and then the bloody thing kicks me out and I'm back to the end of the queue.

I called the club. Sorry, can't help.

Arggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!