You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - shitcoat to Utd.

This article from Stephen Hunt has not aged well, not least the washing of Shitcoat's balls.

Stephen Hunt: Man United and Chelsea are best equipped for Champions League glory

February 18 2018 5:00 PM

Five teams from the Premier League in the last 16 of the Champions League and I am expecting all of them to progress to the quarter-finals. Last season Leicester were the only English team in the last eight.

That's football. The Premier League teams are just stronger this season, better prepared for the big games in the Champions League, and their concentration levels are higher. And sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder.

They are all in form and in the mix and it is hard to pick a favourite. Manchester City are on fire, Liverpool and Tottenham can beat anyone on their day, but Manchester United and Chelsea are the two English teams I think are most likely to win it.

Jose Mourinho is the master of getting his team to peak at the right time, as he demonstrated by concentrating on the Europa League last season, sacrificing the league, to guarantee a place in the Champions League. I know this is a step up but you can tell he is ready to take on Europe's elite.

The difference between United and the other English sides is that they are the strongest defensively and they know how to manage games. And they have the forward players to rip teams apart on the break.

United are loaded with proven big players for the big game. Trust me, Mourinho bought players he believes can win the Champions League. His rivals may be easier on the eye but he is only interested in winning games, not how nice it looks.

Chelsea have enough to knock Barcelona out. They have nothing to play for in the league - their challenge was over six weeks ago - and Antonio Conte has probably had an eye on this one since then. Suddenly his players are coming back into form and they will come alive in these big games. I really feel there is a big performance in the Chelsea players. I hope for Conte's sake I am right and Chelsea go through because if they don't, he will be out the door sooner rather than later.

The outcome will depend on Luis Suarez, who is in outstanding form, and Lionel Messi, who only rates as a nine this season, down from a nine-point-five. On his day, Eden Hazard is just as unplayable.

City have raised the bar this season. Their midfield is the best in Europe and Sergio Aguero has been out of this world since Gabriel Jesus's injury. But I still have reservations about the defence, and there will come a stage in a big game when they are under pressure and I wonder how they will handle that. Can they win all four? Can you bet against them? I think something will derail them.

Liverpool are even weaker defensively and, despite their front three, that is bound to cost them on away goals at some stage, or leave them with too much to do against a well-organised team. We can't read too much into the result in Portugal. Porto were a shambles, bottom of the Championship/top of League One standard, but Liverpool certainly got the job done. They will fear no one. But they can't defend.

Tottenham might regret not coming away from Turin with the win they deserved. Juventus are capable of coming to Wembley, grabbing a couple of goals and parking a big Italian bus in front of Gigi Buffon's net. But, as they showed in the first leg, Spurs have the players to break through that defensive wall, and Moussa Dembele gave one of the best midfield performances I have seen. It was a masterful display of real quality and technique with and without the ball which allowed him to feed Dele Alli and Christian Eriksen in some great positions.

He's not a heavy tackler but has power and a presence to win the ball, and when he has it, he ghosts past players. He is now putting in consistently good performances having raised his fitness levels.
  • Upvote 1

The only part of that statement that is correct is that 'the premier league teams are stronger' yet he neglected to mention that its only the top six who have become stronger and only stronger versus the rest of the division. There is clearly two or three leagues within a league in the PL and this isn't helping the top sides versus different styles of opposition. The English dinosaur managers are back in the PL and are dragging the standards back decades. Once again arrogance(without grounds for it) shows how difficult it is for the English game to move forwards rather than backwards with the media.

So the best team in Portugal is the same standard as the 60th place team in England. Good to know

The scruffy bastard didn't say Porto were THAT bad. Bottom of the Championship or top of League One makes you the 44th or 45th best side in England.

“The general opinion of this team that was once respectable and no longer is has plummeted. It’s an unattractive, fearful team, rich in resources but lamentable in its play,” he added. “Mourinho is starting to look like a washed-up rock star, one of those guys that goes around holiday hotels for pensioners playing old hits on an organ with the base and the percussion playing on a tape recorder.”

Which makes it even more frustrating we seem to have been that group of pensioners in a holiday hotel on Saturday. 

• Upvote 1

He ranting on and on in his presser! I think he must have spoken for about 15 mins and no journo has said anything yet! He was reading out the Mancs "heritage" or something, I've given up listening! I did notice he said a couple of times "won by me" about the cups last year - me you notice not "my team"!! He is such an arrogant tosser!

haha it's just gone back to the woman in the studio and she's said "hurry up jose it's nearly kick off time" !

He's absolutely lost the plot.

I think everyone assumed he would come on and give some sort of strained "explanation" for the post-match quotes about all the times he had knocked United out of the CL, but instead he doubled down.

In fact, he read a "Rafa facts"-style sheet of paper about all the times United had gone out of the CL and moaned for about 15 minutes about the crap players he inherited. Went on to mention how strong a team he would be leaving his successor with players like Lukaku and Matic - no mention of a certain French midfielder he paid 120m for.

Not looking good, Jose. Not looking good.

One day, the spineless shithouse will end up deflecting so far he'll end up coming back round to whatever he was trying to deflect from in the first place.

Hopefully it hits him in the back of the head so hard it knocks him out and shuts the boring prick up.

“I sink I hate the cunt”.

• Upvote 1

Went from 2011, the last time they were in the final, and highlighted their 'heritage'/failings.

Probably not going to be that popular with a certain Scotsman who was in charge until 2013...

And yes, he's losing it.

Definitely losing it, even if you accept his statement word for word, isn't that what the near £350 million spent on transfers in 18 months plus the most expensive free transfer in the world supposed to rectify?

I am one of shitcoats biggest detractors but to criticise him for going away from home in the knockout stages of the UCL and defending for his life is to forget our runs under Rafa, we were the masters of going away from home getting a draw and taking them apart at Anfield.

Before mocking them let's just see who goes furthest in this competition.

Yes let's. A quite monumental fuck up from maureen.