You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - shitcoat to Utd.

A bit of perspective needed on Souness, chaps. Yes, if he were playing today he would potentially be one of the best midfielders in the world.

But the reality is he'd either be suspended for half the season for a series of red cards for violent conduct, or be serving a life sentence for murdering Mourinho by crushing his skull with his bare hands during a live game on Sky.

Worth it then...

A bit of perspective needed on Souness, chaps. Yes, if he were playing today he would potentially be one of the best midfielders in the world.

But the reality is he'd either be suspended for half the season for a series of red cards for violent conduct, or be serving a life sentence for murdering Mourinho by crushing his skull with his bare hands during a live game on Sky.

Sourness was doing what every midfielder was doing at the time only much better.

If he was playing today he was good enough to adapt.

Always remember Remi Moses thinking he was hard by trying to take Souness out. He was very much mistaken.

you make that sound like a negative..

Souness would've been clever enough end good enough to have adapted.

Don't forget this was a player who in 84 went to Bucharest as public enemy number one and spent the entire 90 minutes getting hacked to bits after what had gone on at Anfield ,yet was still the best player on the pitch.

• Upvote 2

Souness would've been clever enough end good enough to have adapted.

Don't forget this was a player who in 84 went to Bucharest as public enemy number one and spent the entire 90 minutes getting hacked to bits after what had gone on at Anfield ,yet was still the best player on the pitch.

From what I can remember, he tended to only go after players who tried to bully his teammates. He took no nonsense and made sure they knew who was boss, especially if they tried to snide up against his team.

64f02670ef08452a3e82b07aef51862f.jpg

Not sure how reliable L’Equipe is.

I don’t really like Pogba as I think he’s a bit of a prima donna. However I could see where he’s coming from. He became the worlds most expensive footballer as a world class box-to-box for Juve, with the freedom to roam about the pitch... now he’s asked to be a disciplined deep-lying holding midfielder. In hindsight, Steven Gerrard must be super happy with his decision not to move to Chelsea now to work under Jose now.

I've had a nightmare with the souness thing here - I've made myself look a right aunty Mary.

That said, he's still a cunt and I would rather pick Salif diao in an all time 11, purely because I'm also a massive cunt. A petty, stubborn cunt.

• Upvote 5

Souness was a clever player, but the idea he would curb his natural instincts to adapt to the modern game is, I think, you boys kidding yourselves. He was, on occasion, going way further than what other players were doing. I may have been joking about half a season, but there would be a good two or three times a season he wouldn't be able to restrain those instincts.

You can put a lion in a zoo enclosure, but if you wander into that enclosure unprotected you'll find its still a lion.

We probably wouldn't have won the 1984 European Cup without him. There's a photo of him leading the team out with all the pyrotechnics in the background, most of the team don't look fazed either but Souness is just casually leading his team out into battle. He started the move for Phil Neil's goal and scored the first penalty after Steve Nicol had whacked his over the bar.

• Upvote 2

Fucks sake, I only mentioned Souness once, since then we've had wrongness on a grand scale, Aunty Mary's and Zoo Keepers chipping in.

At this point, I'd also like to mention that Ray Kennedy would've laughed in his face, kicked him up in the air and outplayed him.

Off you go...

Lion Vs Wolf. Only one winner. Wolf-flavoured lion poo.

I remember Souness as a player. One of the greats, no doubt about it. Tough fella, but could also play. As a midfielder he could do the lot. Would lift our current team to champions, probably. A combination of Keane, Gerrard and Vieira is not far off as a description. You can only truly be compared with your peers as a player and Souness was world class. Suggestions that he would struggle in the modern game are wide of the mark for me, as he would adapt and do what he needed to do. He’d see his share of red cards, but there’s no way he would allow some of the tepid displays we’ve seen in recent years on his watch.

As a manager he was very good before he came here, and he did well in other places after here. At Liverpool he tried to change too much too soon. No doubt about it we needed to be modernized and updated, but if you are going to discard some playing legends, at least replace them with quality. Too many bad signings and a lot of discord, and the team went backwards, so obviously not a good manager for us. In some sort of imaginary world I’d like to think we would have continued to back Souness, and he learned a bit of humility and turned it around, then took the fight to Ferguson at Old Trafford. Had Souness prevailed as manager and turned it around I’m confident Man Utd wouldn’t have had two decades practically to themselves, early Wenger notwithstanding.

The Sun interview was a big mistake and he’s since apologized for that. I saw the whole thing as an example of a rich football person being too detached from the fans, taking the shilling, but not quite realizing the depth of hurt it would cause. He should have done, but has since apologized.

• Upvote 3

"We play with one six and two eights. [Nemanja] Matic as a six, [Jesse] Lingard on right side of Matic and Pogba on left side. Do you know which is Pogba's preferred system? 4-3-3. Do you know Pogba's favourite position in the 4-3-3? Eight on the left."[/size]

Seems like they need a 4 right?[/size]

I’ve seen that twice on Sky now and I still don’t know what he was getting so arsey about it! He’s one miserable tit