You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - shitcoat to Utd.

I don't get all the pointing and laughing.  I'd swap their season for ours, even if they mess up the final.  

Is this assuming we drop points to Boro and end up out of the CL, then?  

Because otherwise it makes no sense at all.  Sure, we'd have an EFL Cup.  But we'd be out of the CL for next season and then scrambling for second- and third-tier players this summer to fill all the holes in our squad.  

If I gave you the option of:

a)an EFL trophy in the case, and a summer where we buy Sessegnon, Robertson, Luan, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Nathan Redmond, or

b)no trophies this season, but top 4 and CL to come next season, with a summer of Sessegnon, Keita, Tah, Salah, and Werner

which one are you going for?  Because in my opinion anyone who chooses "a" is insane.  Sure, we miss out on a trophy this season but we're far better set up to compete for trophies in the seasons to come with option "b."

Besides, any Liverpool fan who can't laugh at Manchester United after they spent a half-billion pounds the last four summers only to finish 7th, 4th, 5th, and now 6th is just completely unable to laugh at anything, ever.

• Upvote 3

Plenty of abuse on facebook sports pages and online newspaper sites for the moaning one! He really is past his best, the bitter deluded little man.

Anyone see Souness ripping into him on sky last night? Said how he can't understand how the players are tired- he never got tired. Also saying moany's getting his excuses in early! Lot of people agreeing with him online too, everyone is starting to see it

• Upvote 1

Plenty of abuse on facebook sports pages and online newspaper sites for the moaning one! He really is past his best, the bitter deluded little man.

Anyone see Souness ripping into him on sky last night? Said how he can't understand how the players are tired- he never got tired. Also saying moany's getting his excuses in early! Lot of people agreeing with him online too, everyone is starting to see it

Yeah, saw that. Also talked about how they're a massive club but play abysmal football that he can't understand why anyone would pay to watch.

Souness played around 60 games a season for us regularly whilst going on the ale regularly.

Never understood why it is such an issue for modern players who have better training facilities, better diets, play on better pitches etc etc...a massive part of the shitness of modern footy. Jusy get on with it you overpaid primadonnas.

Like us when club are saying Firmino is tired etc...he has played 37 times for us this season.

We won't have a single player this season who plays even 40 games for us....Tired? Load of bollocks.

• Upvote 2

Souness played around 60 games a season for us regularly whilst going on the ale regularly.

Never understood why it is such an issue for modern players who have better training facilities, better diets, play on better pitches etc etc...a massive part of the shitness of modern footy. Jusy get on with it you overpaid primadonnas.

Like us when club are saying Firmino is tired etc...he has played 37 times for us this season.

We won't have a single player this season who plays even 40 games for us....Tired? Load of bollocks.

Would see in regularly in the Crest on the ale with Grobbalar and Craig Johnston as well as few others,they still always put a shift in come game time.

The game has changed so much that going on the ale regularly like the old days would fuck you up big time. I am not saying the game is better,it isnt in my opinion,but modern players are fitter,faster and way beyond the athleticism of most of the successful players of the 70s and 80s etc. Those lads would still be top players but would be that way because today they wouldnt be on the ale and would eat,drink and rest correctly. Great players would have adapted,Dalglish,Souness,et al,would simply not have done what they did then in todays game.

• Upvote 1

The game has changed so much that going on the ale regularly like the old days would fuck you up big time. I am not saying the game is better,it isnt in my opinion,but modern players are fitter,faster and way beyond the athleticism of most of the successful players of the 70s and 80s etc. Those lads would still be top players but would be that way because today they wouldnt be on the ale and would eat,drink and rest correctly. Great players would have adapted,Dalglish,Souness,et al,would simply not have done what they did then in todays game.

Whilst true, you don't have to play in pig shit any more or kick a football that weighs the same as Jon Parkin. 

• Upvote 2

Because otherwise it makes no sense at all. Sure, we'd have an EFL Cup. But we'd be out of the CL for next season and then scrambling for second- and third-tier players this summer to fill all the holes in our squad.

a)an EFL trophy in the case, and a summer where we buy Sessegnon, Robertson, Luan, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Nathan Redmond, or

b)no trophies this season, but top 4 and CL to come next season, with a summer of Sessegnon, Keita, Tah, Salah, and Werner

which one are you going for? Because in my opinion anyone who chooses "a" is insane. Sure, we miss out on a trophy this season but we're far better set up to compete for trophies in the seasons to come with option "b."

Besides, any Liverpool fan who can't laugh at Manchester United after they spent a half-billion pounds the last four summers only to finish 7th, 4th, 5th, and now 6th is just completely unable to laugh at anything, ever.

I am not laughing because they've won a trophy and possibly will win two. Nothing funny about winning trophies as its what our club used to be all about. Celebrating finishing 4th is not my idea of success its simply a financial bonus,little more.

I will be glad to achieve it with our current squad,but its a bit sad that this is how modern football has become.

I am not laughing because they've won a trophy and possibly will win two. Nothing funny about winning trophies as its what our club used to be all about. Celebrating finishing 4th is not my idea of success its simply a financial bonus,little more.

I will be glad to achieve it with our current squad,but its a bit sad that this is how modern football has become.

I remember we had this exact conversation on TLW in the season we won the league cup with Kenny and it was equally divisive. Winning trophies is of course what our clubs is about, but with this summer coming up and IF we do have the rumoured funds available then we are building to compete over the longer term and CL qualification helps us achieve those ambitions, winning the League Cup does not.

Because otherwise it makes no sense at all. Sure, we'd have an EFL Cup. But we'd be out of the CL for next season and then scrambling for second- and third-tier players this summer to fill all the holes in our squad.

which one are you going for? Because in my opinion anyone who chooses "a" is insane. Sure, we miss out on a trophy this season but we're far better set up to compete for trophies in the seasons to come with option "b."

It has been a barren decade so I'd take the trophy. The rest of your post relating to signing players is conjecture.

I remember we had this exact conversation on TLW in the season we won the league cup with Kenny and it was equally divisive. Winning trophies is of course what our clubs is about, but with this summer coming up and IF we do have the rumoured funds available then we are building to compete over the longer term and CL qualification helps us achieve those ambitions, winning the League Cup does not.

And I'm pretty sure I held the opposite view at that time. But that was then, this is now and we've won fuck all for a long time.

Whatever the brand of football I'd kill to have one trophy sewn up and a shot at the UEFA Cup.

And I'm pretty sure I held the opposite view at that time. But that was then, this is now and we've won fuck all for a long time.

Whatever the brand of football I'd kill to have one trophy sewn up and a shot at the UEFA Cup.

I'd take 6th, two cups and CL qualification for next year over 4th. But I wouldn't take 6th, two cups, CL qualification for next year and Shitcoat over 4th and Klopp. He really has turned the maggotry up to 11 this year, and you don't have to go far to find Man Utd fans who are being turned off by it.

• Upvote 1

I'd take 6th, two cups and CL qualification for next year over 4th. But I wouldn't take 6th, two cups, CL qualification for next year and Shitcoat over 4th and Klopp. He really has turned the maggotry up to 11 this year, and you don't have to go far to find Man Utd fans who are being turned off by it.

I wouldn't swap managers but I'd take their season over ours regardless of how turgid the football has been.   

But you said "even if they lose their EL final I'd rather have had their season."  Meaning they only won the one trophy and you don't get to count the possibility of the second.

More importantly, you're missing the point I'm making.  Of course we all want to win trophies.  That's what our club is about.  The argument is that finishing fourth gives you a significantly improved odds to win future trophies.  So when I say I'd prefer our season (again, with the caveat you stipulated that they lose the final), it's because I'd rather have a chance to bring in Klopp's first choice targets and have a go at the CL next season plus the league and cups with improved squad, over a single EFL trophy and then dire position for next season.

It has been a barren decade so I'd take the trophy. The rest of your post relating to signing players is conjecture.

Come on, mate.  You can't see that finishing top four is going to improve the players we sign this summer?  Have to be kidding with that.

But you said "even if they lose their EL final I'd rather have had their season."  Meaning they only won the one trophy and you don't get to count the possibility of the second.

More importantly, you're missing the point I'm making.  Of course we all want to win trophies.  That's what our club is about.  The argument is that finishing fourth gives you a significantly improved odds to win future trophies.  So when I say I'd prefer our season (again, with the caveat you stipulated that they lose the final), it's because I'd rather have a chance to bring in Klopp's first choice targets and have a go at the CL next season plus the league and cups with improved squad, over a single EFL trophy and then dire position for next season.

Come on, mate.  You can't see that finishing top four is going to improve the players we sign this summer?  Have to be kidding with that.

The point that if we finish top 4 we "should" buy better players was said to us at the time we last got champions league football with FSG in charge we ended that summer window selling Suarez and replacing him with Balotelli and Lambert and with all the excuses under the sun about how we couldn't get Sanchez even though we had finished 2nd and had a guarantee of champions league.

As for the Mancs if they win the Europa League thats a successful season and one I'd happily swap for ours. I was gutted we lost both league cup and europa finals last year. ( Still am over the europa league) 

But you said "even if they lose their EL final I'd rather have had their season." Meaning they only won the one trophy and you don't get to count the possibility of the second.

More importantly, you're missing the point I'm making. Of course we all want to win trophies. That's what our club is about. The argument is that finishing fourth gives you a significantly improved odds to win future trophies. So when I say I'd prefer our season (again, with the caveat you stipulated that they lose the final), it's because I'd rather have a chance to bring in Klopp's first choice targets and have a go at the CL next season plus the league and cups with improved squad, over a single EFL trophy and then dire position for next season.

Come on, mate. You can't see that finishing top four is going to improve the players we sign this summer? Have to be kidding with that.

I know what the argument is. I disagree with it and would trade off the chance to sign some players for a trophy.

As for signing players, the likelihood of getting better players improves but that doesn't automatically translate to signing better players. The last time we qualified we sold our best player and spunked the money on Benteke, Balotelli and Markovic. And that was with guaranteed CL football.

Assuming we finish fourth I can easily foresee a situation where FSG don't spend until the "tricky qualifier" is out of the way, by which time there won't be much of a transfer window left.

I don't think Manchester United's season can be looked at outside the context of their astronomical financial investment in players in the summer and the 'football' produced.

And we went pretty close (well, bar the second half of the Europa League final) in the same two cup competitions last season.

Anyway, I'm sure we can all agree that we're happy for Mourinho to be there. Would hate to see Conte, Ancelotti, Allegri, Pochettino or Simeone (or indeed the Kloppmeister General) at the helm with the budget he'll continue to enjoy.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Manchester United's season can be looked at outside the context of their astronomical financial investment in players in the summer and the 'football' produced.

Yeah but if they win the Europa, they've got away with it... And anyone then trying to do down their season is clutching at straws, while still, i acknowledge, talking sense about expectation v outcome. But there's no doubt that 2 trophies and a CL place is success for them. Obviously next season is another season and they may or may not improve...

Their positions in the league in the past 4 years have been on average worse than ours.

We have played exciting football in 2.5 of those seasons (not every week obviously). They have played shite football for the most part and it is not showing any signs of improving.

They have thrown the kitchen sink, in monetary terms to try and improve their lot and their league position is getting worse. We are have been breaking even in the past 3 windows under the current manager, the team is improving and it looks like he will have more to spend this summer.

Their manager has a shelf life of 3 years before it all goes tits up and he leaves a mess. Our manager has a shelf life of 7 years leaving a transformed club behind.

They have built their massive reputation on business terms and the business is failing. The reputation is incrementally falling and unless they turn it around soon they will have become us of 20 years ago.

We are in a better position than we have been since before Cancer and Aids arrival in that we are improving on the pitch and it looks as if we will improve on that in the coming transfer window under a manager that generally gets his purchases more right than wrong. They are after Rodriguez who supposedly the manager doesn't want and won't play while losing their 2 best players this season.

I wouldn't swap our situation with theirs at all.

• Upvote 2

So today's fitter, faster and much more athletic players who don't have a bellyfull of ale either should be able to play more games absolutely no bother then...

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't swap managers but I'd take their season over ours regardless of how turgid the football has been.

Depends on if you're a regular match goer I guess. I wouldn't like to be shelling out nearly a grand on a season ticket plus the automatic cup home games to watch what he's serving up, trophies or not.

• Upvote 1