You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers - New Celtic Manager

This obsession people have with former managers is utterly bizarre.

Says the man with the Rafa-inspired Newcastle avatar. Apart from JP, who else brings up Rodgers on a regular basis? 

Some of the stick he gets is out of order. He gave us our best premier league season ever and although Suarez played a huge part, it was Rodgers picking the team. If we didn't have a committee I reckon he would still be here.Im glad he isn't though.

We didn't win the league because of his total inability to sort out the defence. Champions do not concede 50 goals. That and his tactical naivety when it really mattered.

• Upvote 1

Some of the stick he gets is out of order. He gave us our best premier league season ever and although Suarez played a huge part, it was Rodgers picking the team. If we didn't have a committee I reckon he would still be here.

Im glad he isn't though.

Haha!

Guest Pistonbroke

A good move for him

I'm not sure about that mate, it's a shit league which Celtic expect to win, OK Rangers are back on the scene but don't have the money to build a title challenging squad that quickly. He'll be on a hiding to nothing as the board will see winning the league title and CL qualification from the group stages as minimum expectations. 

Hopefully he'll spunk some of their money on the guff he brought to Anfield. 

Good luck to him, I think he's going to need it. I'm surprised he didn't go for a job in the Premier League being as he reckons he had enough offers, Celtic can't be seen as the big team he was holding out for. 

Kevin Brown, that little fella, plays up front spells "Chris" with a "K", and the keeper who had a really good match against Barcelona that one time.

You mean Scott Brown, who always looks like somebody who terrorises the kids on council estates and knows where to score cheap smack.

We didn't win the league because of his total inability to sort out the defence. Champions do not concede 50 goals. That and his tactical naivety when it really mattered.

Slaughtering a bloke for coming just short of winning the league at a club which finished 8th in the seasons before and after he left is a bit fucking daft. It would be like calling Rafa the cunt who cost us the Champions League if we had lost the shootout in Istanbul.

• Downvote 1

I'm not sure about that mate, it's a shit league which Celtic expect to win, OK Rangers are back on the scene but don't have the money to build a title challenging squad that quickly. He'll be on a hiding to nothing as the board will see winning the league title and CL qualification from the group stages as minimum expectations.

Hopefully he'll spunk some of their money on the guff he brought to Anfield.

Good luck to him, I think he's going to need it. I'm surprised he didn't go for a job in the Premier League being as he reckons he had enough offers, Celtic can't be seen as the big team he was holding out for.

Oh yeah not guaranteed he will win the league with them but he can go there, challenge for titles (which you'd expect for Celtic) complete in Europe if they qualify.

Gradually build his stock/reputation back up, then eventually move on I think with that all behind him.

Better than getting a job back in the PL straight away I think.

Guest Pistonbroke

Oh yeah not guaranteed he will win the league with them but he can go there, challenge for titles (which you'd expect for Celtic) complete in Europe if they qualify.

Gradually build his stock/reputation back up, then eventually move on I think with that all behind him.

Not many Celtic managers have moved on to bigger things of late despite winning titles mate. Strachan, Mowbray, Lennon?

He'd have been better trying to improve his stock in a decent league imo. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Celtic are a huge club. Just a shit league.

They haven't been huge for decades mate, maybes as far as their fan base goes but that is all. Plus I prefer them to Rangers. 

I disagree, there is only so much he can realistically do with Celtic, anything but winning the league is a huge failure. I think a midtable PL side is much better for his stock. Have them playing nice football and possibly grab an Europa Lague spot would be a bigger achievement.

My granny could win the title with Celtic. Winning the Johnston's Paint Trophy is a bigger achievement.

He'll be judged on how does in Europe, which won't be easy because Celtic is largely filled with League One standard players. When a gimp like Scott Brown is your captain, you know the team is utter shit.

Agree. They were embarassed in the EL last year. The team is shit. They are never going to play in the CL next season. They were lucky to get to EL.

It's a bit of a lose lose place, Celtic.  Disregarding the place is full of violent alcoholics and ne'er-do-wells of every stripe, you win the league and everyone says it's easy.  

You lose the league and everyone called you a useless cunt.  

No decent players go there, most of them are thick chumps, and the team always runs charging through the trap door in the Champions League, before getting embarrassed in the Europa by some team made up of doctors, factory workers, a hatstand and a butch woman from the Isle of Man.  

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

There's a forum for this shit.

Mods, be good and move this da fuck outta here.

The thread will probably end up as cluster fuck but as breaking news it is a valid thread mate. 

If Scottish journalists had any sense, they'd be coding typing shortcuts for phrases like 'tremendous character' and 'wonderful technician' right now. But as they're Scottish and it's a Friday night, chances are they're drinking cans by a canal or under a railway bridge somewhere.

• Upvote 5