You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Sevilla 3 (May 18 2016)

tlw content

In the grand scheme of things we're not good enough but on Wednesday it was purely about mentality. Sevilla are a poor side.

Spot on. Sevilla haven't even won away from home all season.

We just have too many jekyll and hyde players in this squad. There's too many who you just can't 100% trust to deliver under adversity and I include the likes of Coutinho and Firmino in that.

That Benitez squad was crawling with winners who knew what to do when the chips were down and didn't need some guy on the bench to give them a hug.

We all know how Carra, Sami, Xabi, Stevie, Dirk etc would have reacted after that first goal from Gameiro. They would have killed the game for 10-15 minutes until we were back on our feet.  

I know that both Jed and Rafa made some bad decisions,but since then the club have made some appalling fuck ups.Some if not most of the signings have been terrible.

We haven't bought top quality in any of the positions GK-CM in almost 10 years. It makes it very difficult to win trophies.

I still baffles me how some actually think this squad is good enough as long as they get their mentality right.

Our future depends on Klopp not agreeing with the gullible ones.

Squad is miles away from being good enough....needs a massive injection of bollocks and nous for starters.

I still baffles me how some actually think this squad is good enough as long as they get their mentality right.

Our future depends on Klopp not agreeing with the gullible ones.

It still baffles me how some actually don't bother to read the posts they criticise in their usual rude, high-handed manner.

It still baffles me how some actually don't bother to read the posts they criticise in their usual rude, high-handed manner.

Don't think it was aimed just at you to be honest, I've read quite a few people who think we only need two or three additions, I honestly believe that if we start next season with a squad even remotely resembling this one we're going to be in for a world of pain.

• Upvote 2

[quote name="King Emlyn" post="4495197"

I honestly believe that if we start next season with a squad even remotely resembling this one we're going to be in for a world of pain.

Is right - we need a massive overhaul.....full backs situation is terrible....we are light in terms of centre halves...midfield is massively short of what is needed and we need to overhaul our attacking options including sorting out the inbalance, lack of proper width and our 32m striker who does not fit how we want to play as well as deciding what we are gonna do with our pile of 'number 10's'...

Our squad is so unbalanced - and lacks bollocks and nous.

• Upvote 1

It's rather 2 world class players rather than 5 gambles

Not to worry, if recent history is anything to go by we'll get neither, i predict  two massively overpriced transfers from PL clubs and a handful of youngsters no one's ever heard of. Whol'll be loaned out obviously.

Two or three players can transform a side though. Not even sure how that's debatable. If we're going for a full overhaul this summer we'll face the same problems we usually do.

They certainly can, but that's only if , and this is the crux of the argument, that the players you already have are of a good enough standard. I believe ours are not. I'm very worried about next season, you have Spurs on the up with a good manager, Arsenal are Arsenal and come with a guaranteed top four position. Utd, City and Chelsea all have new ambitious managers with unlimited funds and that without taking into account Leicester the champions West Ham Southampton and Everton who will be bolstered by a new manager and money to spend. If we face that challenge with a squad similar to this one then will someone please wake me up next May.

• Upvote 2

In the grand scheme of things we're not good enough but on Wednesday it was purely about mentality. Sevilla are a poor side.

So cringey when our fans refer to Sevilla as poor, or "we beat ourselves, they didn't beat us". They've won the Europa three straight years. You can't be poor and acheive that. Also, it's not like we dominated the game and their win was undeserved. Overall, they were better than us.

Has has been stated and I've stated myself getting the team balanced is most important. Bring in a few arl arses with a winning mentality and a few younger hungry lads and we'll be on the right track.

No more square pegs, names are no guarantee and getting the right player doesn't always mean the dearest. A marquee shirt selling superstar would be nice, but not the beall and end all.

He knows where needs strengthening as do we. lot's of teams will be spending big money and the league will have some top managers as well. anything can happen.Leicester proved that, but I don't expect a repeat. 

They certainly can, but that's only if , and this is the crux of the argument, that the players you already have are of a good enough standard. I believe ours are not. I'm very worried about next season, you have Spurs on the up with a good manager, Arsenal are Arsenal and come with a guaranteed top four position. Utd, City and Chelsea all have new ambitious managers with unlimited funds and that without taking into account Leicester the champions West Ham Southampton and Everton who will be bolstered by a new manager and money to spend. If we face that challenge with a squad similar to this one then will someone please wake me up next May.

Spot on. 

The problem in the past hasn't been the numbers of players we've bought at any one time, it's that they were shite. 

Houllier and Rafa both transformed the squad in their first full summer of transfer activity. What we need isn't just quality now but consistency. Can, Firminho and to a lesser extent Coutinho and Sturridge are too hot and cold (or injury prone) to build a side around, that may change, but for me  they're the icing on the cake of a cake that doesn't yet exist. 

With the exception of Clyne and Lovren the rest of the squad is bollocks, I'd be happy to see them all shipped out. We need a spine of players brought in, a goalie, CB, midfield general (still) and a striker - at the very least. 

• Upvote 3

Next season won't be as bad as this season.

It can't be.

"What we need isn't just quality now but consistency. . "

Spot on Section.

The most consistent team won the league this season, ahead of "big teams" like City, Arsenal, Chelsea, united etc. etc. all who struggled with consistency even with better players.

I agree that skill, correct mentality, etc are required, but thats a given surely, and despite the disappointment in Basel, we have shown we can produce performances as good as any team this season, but not consistently enough.

How you get that consistency, i'm not sure. Training and tactics repeated until you can follow them blindfolded?

Players who have a certain level of intelligence?

Born winners who know naturally how to overcome and deliver?

Maybe all 3 plus more.

Its no good having a way of playing, specific tactics, will to win or any of the attributes already mentioned unless you can deliver them consistently.

A bit more consistency last season would've given us a completely different end, and might even have kept Rogers in a job.

We have to get players in who don't shit themselves when it matters - and/or stop the ones we keep doing it.

Pretty much every time we look like we are about to do something our arses go....

Look at the league - we get within touching distance of the top 4 (i know, i know it is a joke we have to consider that something to aim for but it is now) and we shit the bed - Southampton away was a great example of it - we were on a run, confidence was high and we race into a 2-0 lead....at that moment we looked like we were about to put in a proper go at a top 4 finish.....our arses went.

We have done it loads of times as well in recent years - we all know what happened a couple of seasons ago so I'll leave that wound alone....

The one thing you can be sure of with this team is they will empty their bowels all down their legs when it really, really matters nearly every time - they then go on runs when the pressure is off  so to speak only for their arses to go as soon as they are suddenly in a battle again/have a shout.

We need to add two things above all else - nous and bollocks.

Nous is needed to slow games down, get hold of games when things are rocking and buy us time get us regrouped - put in some snidey fouls, break play up, waste time etc.

Bollocks are needed to win the battles when teams go alehouse against us, bully us, out work us and as always seems to happen win the fights with us because we haven't got the bollocks for it/are physically too weak....we need some horrible gets, some winners and leaders and players who refuse to be beaten not just every now and then but week in week out - we have a real lack of all of them and we aren't going anywhere until we get those things.

Taken me this long to summon the courage to read the report Dave.

I've said before, other than two, or maybe three players, I'd fuck the lot of them off.

Most people have cited our poor midfield performance as a central feature and yet Klopp didn't make the required changes. Why? Did he not see? Did he think the team would miraculously turn things around?

There's been a few times this season when I've been a bit "huh?" at JK's decisions.

This squad has a habit of shitting the bed. I hate all this divine right to winning things shite, but it's not good enough. 

If you're a professional footballer playing for Liverpool and you can't perform or keep your nerve in a cup final, when it matters, you shouldn't be here. Simple as. 

• 2 weeks later...