You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That refereeing performance

lebron

I actually thought the Firmino "handball" could've been given as a foul in it'self as he's knocked it past the defender who stopped it with his hand and tripped him up.

You'll never get the other ones.

Plus we're shit.

Agree with Firmino one. There were two offences there. As for the others...not really.

The first one could have been a pen for the handball or a foul on Firmino, the one which involved Moreno was not a pen and the third one was as for some reason the guy was leaning down and had his hand in an unnatural position.

All the blame can't go on the ref but we all know if it's 2-0 at half time we wouldn't have lost that.

Nobody seems to be mentioning the disallowed goal much? WAz it fair enough? Looked like a bad decision to me, massive turning point. The second shout for a pen was never a pen. The first one was.  

The only bad decision there was when Sturridge swung his boot at it.  Would have went in either way but as soon as he done that it was offside.

I haven't seen a reffing performance as bad as that for us since Athens. The guy at Athens I am convinced was bent. This guy was shockingly bad but not sure if there is any motive to be bent?

This ref was a multi millionaire so assuming he was just shit rather than being offered a brown paper bag stuffed with cash.

Nobody seems to be mentioning the disallowed goal much? WAz it fair enough? Looked like a bad decision to me, massive turning point. The second shout for a pen was never a pen. The first one was.  

Nah, the rule this season is if you're in an offside position, you're interferring with play if you make an attempt to touch the ball.

We had one against bournemouth at the start of the season when coutinho went for the ball but the lino forgot the rule and allowed it.

You only ever see the losing side moaning about the ref funnily enough.   None were penalites, their goal was onside.

Outclassed in the second half by a better team, prob easier blaming the ref tho.

Probably not far off the mark there. I'd rep this if you weren't a bit of a cunt.

This ref was a multi millionaire so assuming he was just shit rather than being offered a brown paper bag stuffed with cash.

Maybe I've been brainwashed by the British media but I am starting to think uefa/the refs don't like to see the English teams do well.It was like the cunt ref started the game thinking he's going to show he wouldn't be influenced by the crowd, he made a lot of poor decisions and gave them some dodgy free kicks.

• Upvote 2

I dont think the ref was corrupt. I just think he and  they are inept and generally inconsistent.

Take howard webb in the world cup final. He essentially decided one team, holland, could do whatever they wanted and he wasnt going to send anyone off. Why? Because he didnt want to ruin the final!

Makes you wonder how many of these ref's today would have awarded a pen against west germany in the first minute of the 74 world cup final in Munich like Jack Taylor did because they wouldnt want to offend the host?

Surely it doesnt matter what time in a game a foul in the box is a pen? It shouldnt matter whether its a final or not so what's with the comments ref's dont like giving pens early doors in a final?

3 times the ball made contact with a defenders hand in the box. How many times at freekicks do you see refs saying to players keep your arms tucked in or if your arms are out and the ball hits them suffer the consequences?

How many times in games do you now see players make a deliberate attempt to keep their arms behind their backs in or around the box? Last night at least 1 sevilla player did the complete opposite and wasnt punished.

Of those 2 incidents last night, the first one is given as hand ball anywhere else on the pitch. So why isnt it a pen in the box?

The second one when its going out for their 'goal kick' and it hits the player's hand, you could argue that was accidental. I dont think that gets a free kick anywhere else on the pitch.

But that 3rd and last one, the defender is low down on the ground and he's got his arms out trying to make himself bigger so the attacker cant get the ball past him. Sorry but even if the attacker blasts the ball at him from short range, that's hand ball because the defender has deliberately placed his arms out wide to prevent the attacker playing the ball past him.

That's a free kick anywhere else on the park. Its a stonewall pen in the box.

Whether that would mean we go on and win is immaterial. Its about consistency and applying the laws of the game not, refs picking and choosing which laws and when to implement them.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I've been brainwashed by the British media but I am starting to think uefa/the refs don't like to see the English teams do well.It was like the cunt ref started the game thinking he's going to show he wouldn't be influenced by the crowd, he made a lot of poor decisions and gave them some dodgy free kicks.

From the start, he was giving free kicks for challenges that would be perfectly acceptable in the Premier League.

I don't think our players knew how to react to that.

From the start, he was giving free kicks for challenges that would be perfectly acceptable in the Premier League.

I don't think our players knew how to react to that.

Yeah but the players should have expected that, it's not like it's never happened before. I think most of our players lack simple game intelligence.

• Upvote 1

Regardless how shit we were last night the ref was terrible. The first and third calls could definitely have been given.  Also at one stage in the second half there should have been a free kick given on the edge of their box for a blatant handball which was ignored by the ref.  

Yeah but the players should have expected that, it's not like it's never happened before. I think most of our players lack simple game intelligence.

It's difficult when your tactics revolve solely around high tempo and aggression, isn't it?

fimino one was definite handball and should have been a pen. he's used his hand to block the ball and Firmino going past him. I think they got that wrong even if his hand was by his side. he's gained an unfair advantage by using his arm.

other handball I can think of was the one when coutinho scooped ball over for Moreno and the defender hit it out with his hand - hard to see that one so can't really complain. I did think it was a corner before I saw the replay. there was at least one other handball as well but it was clear it was going to have to be blatant for the ref to give it.

it could have been worse for us. if he sent off Lovren when he made a really silly challenge on gameiro which could have been a red from a fussier ref, then I'd agree. origi's elbow was nothing but we saw markovic get sent off for something trivial last season.

Lovrens disallowed goal was the correct decision. Sturridge is a mile off and interfering with play.

Their 3rd goal seemed fine to me as well. they were onside because the ball was played in by countinho. The problem was the linesman initially flagged and then realised his error which gave us the right to say well why did you give it as offside and change your mind, you have to go with your first decision. I don't know if the ref overruled him or what but it was the correct decision. at that stage we needed the flag to keep us in it.

Unfortunately it was a case of they scored more from their chances than we did. it was a tight game of 4 quarters really. 1st quarter was scrappy, 2nd quarter we took over, 3rd quarter they took over, 4th quarter was scrappy.

Regardless how shit we were last night the ref was terrible. The first and third calls could definitely have been given. Also at one stage in the second half there should have been a free kick given on the edge of their box for a blatant handball which was ignored by the ref.

We got fouled about 5 yards out from the box and he played a disadvantage Ffs as the ball went backwards about 15 yards out wide to Clyne, we where shite but the ref was a cunt who set out to give us nothing.

One of there defenders went down low and kept his legs tight together and his arms out wide like a fucking goalkeeper and stopped the ball going through with his hand wtf how's that not cheating/foul

Off-side decisions were right. The Firmino pen shout was 50/50. The handball near the floor should definitely have been given. The flow of inconsistent free kick decisions and the way he allowed the game to be constantly interrupted in the last 20 minutes probably pissed me off more than the big calls though.

• Upvote 1

I've just cracked opened a packet of Jammie Dodgers. "Best ever recipie" it says on the packet. Fuck off Burton's, you lying cunts. They're about half a thick as they were the last time I bought a packet, which was only the other month, and the quantity of filling is a disgrace.

• Upvote 1