You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That refereeing performance

lebron

The ref was shite but there was some top notch shithousery going on with Sevilla with the the winning cheap free kicks and time wasting. It's almost an art form.

it's infuriating isn't it? Our players didn't have a clue how to deal with it either, and as you say the ref bought it every time. Watch the "elbow" situation Origi got booked for, Academy award performance by their CB.

The ref was poor, but our second half performance was so bad his role was completely irrelevant.

He was poor and we were indeed terrible in that second half. This ref has had a much worse game against us though. The commentator mentioned that this ref took charge of our away leg against Benfica in this competition back in 2010. He sent Babel off that night and allowed Benfica's defenders to kick Torres up in the air as often as they wished, booking our players for complaining about it.

it's infuriating isn't it? Our players didn't have a clue how to deal with it either, and as you say the ref bought it every time. Watch the "elbow" situation Origi got booked for, Academy award performance by their CB.

But that's European football, isn't it? They would call it game management. Chasing a game against an experienced European team is always like that.

You're right, you haven't a clue. I'm sorry but just go read the rule book and you'll find out none were penalties and their goal was valid.

I wish the ref did have a shocker, give us three penalties, disallow their goal and let Lovren's stand but the truth is he got every single decision spot on and even video evidence brought into the game, would have yielded the same decisions.

You must be an amateur ref in your spare time. Only a fully paid up member to refs union would chat as much shite as you just did. Not one person has said its all the refs fault, we were shit. Made too many mistakes at important times but that doesn't take away that the ref was giving fouls against us for everything and I'd like you to explain what a handball actually is? If the ball strikes your hand and actually stops someone progressing how is it not? It's not like Firmino smashed the ball at him from 3 yards, he knocked it past him to run around and got stopped by it hitting his hand. You either can't see it or you actually are taking the piss for a reaction from people

• Upvote 1

You must be an amateur ref in your spare time. Only a fully paid up member to refs union would chat as much shite as you just did. Not one person has said its all the refs fault, we were shit. Made too many mistakes at important times but that doesn't take away that the ref was giving fouls against us for everything and I'd like you to explain what a handball actually is? If the ball strikes your hand and actually stops someone progressing how is it not? It's not like Firmino smashed the ball at him from 3 yards, he knocked it past him to run around and got stopped by it hitting his hand. You either can't see it or you actually are taking the piss for a reaction from people

That's not handball.   There needs to be a deliberate movement of hand towards ball, otherwise it's ball to hand and no penalty.   It's pretty simple really.

You think we would have lost if we were 3-0 (or even 2-0) up from the 1st half? Of course it's relevant. As I said in my opening post, our players are mostly to blame for that 2nd half, but a penalty or 2 completely changes the dynamic of the game.

It's irrelevant because we never showed up for the second half at all.

Look back at a few of the penalties we got earlier in this same tournament. I'd be furious if they'd gone the other way. Nobody's out to get us. These things generally balance out over time.

I'd probably be foaming at the mouth over the referee's performance of it was a close game. It wasn't. I also don't think that the incidents were completely clear cut either way.

Hopefully we'll take a few lessons from tonight and build on this season's positives.

• Upvote 1

Look back at a few of the penalties we got earlier in this same tournament. I'd be furious if they'd gone the other way. Nobody's out to get us. These things generally balance out over time.

I'd probably be foaming at the mouth over the referee's performance of it was a close game. It wasn't. I also don't think that the incidents were completely clear cut either way.

Hopefully we'll take a few lessons from tonight and build on this season's positives.

It really isn't...

Agree with your last line...

That's not handball. There needs to be a deliberate movement of hand towards ball, otherwise it's ball to hand and no penalty. It's pretty simple really.

How can you determine what deliberate or not, this is where referees should use their own common sense, he impacted the game by the ball hitting his hand, like I said its not like a shot or cross that been hit pretty hard from close range, I agree then that's not a penalty but I can't see how you can say it's not, everyone on BT said it was a penalty bar Howard Webb. I think you'll find that you'll be in the minority saying its wasn't a penalty. This isn't me being a sore loser because overall we deserved to lose, I just don't think the ref gave us anything and I also don't think we'd have lost if we'd been 2 or 3 nil up.

First half - we get a goal and three "seen them given" shouts for penalties. A marginal offside call goes against us.

Second half - a marginal offside call goes against us (so marginal his subordinate flags it) and he slows the game right down for them, buying every act of simulation.

We got what we deserved, and that second half was the worst we've played all season (which is just fucking peachy) but with a different ref probably sees us 2 up at h-t at least, and then it's a very different start to the second half.

Like I say, all ifs and buts and he wasn't the difference, but he didn't give us the benefit of the doubt once; he gave them that courtesy constantly. Absolutely shite.

Two stonewall penalties that. He was utter shit in the general play too, not allowing anything basically, cant even remember the number of times we pressed and won the ball back clean and the fucker blew his whistle.

What is the point of the god damn assistant referees behind the goal line if they cant even see those handballs?

We were shit but the ref was equally as bad. Not making excuses for our team of shithouses but he the ref was inept.

I agree with this, but the way tonight went whoever took the penalty would have shat their pants and Waddled it into outer space. 

• Upvote 1

It seems to be pure luck whether or not you get penalties these days most of the time. Most of the ones that get given you'll see a virtually identical incident in another game that isn't given. Seems to almost depend what sort of mood the ref is in. It might not be in the rules exactly but if one team has 3 decent appeals then you would expect one of them to be given. Sadly not in this case.

He was terrible in general as well. Hard for our pressing game to work when the ref blows his whistle for virtually every single challenge. Some of them were great challenges. He's probably a ref Villarreal would have loved to have had at Anfield as he'd have been stopping the game constantly and giving them freekicks. I doubt we'd have won that game so comfortably had he been in charge.

We were awful in that second half and there was no response at all after going behind but one of the reasons we couldn't get anything going was that prick was blowing his whistle every 5 seconds for fuck all. Every time the ball went out of play and he didn't know who to give it to he just seemed to decide it was Sevilla's ball too. It always annoys me when I hear commentators say the ref will just add time on at the end of a game when one team is constantly timewasting as though it doesn't matter. Apart from the fact they often don't actually add on anywhere near as much time as they should it also makes it so much harder for a team chasing  a game to get any momentum going when the play is constantly being stopped.

I guess we'll never know what would have happened had we got one of those penalties and gone 2 goals up. With Liverpool teams in the past I'd have been in no doubt it would have been game over. But this lot have blown 2 goal leads 3 times recently so it hardly would have been safe if Sevilla had got one back and changed the momentum of the game. And that second half was so bad that it's hard to imagine any sort of lead would be safe. I still don't know how you can make that dozy a start to a second half in a cup final and basically completely undo everything you did right in the first half.

Shit ref didn't help but just like when we lost that second final to Milan with the help of a really shit ref we also aided considerably in our own downfall. Just seems like a big opportunity missed against a not particularly good side. Ultimately we didn't kill them off when we were on top but killed us off when they were on top.

He was utter shite but as has been said Sevilla knew how to play him,. The Firmino one was a deffo pen but having said that our soft arse left back (I cant even even type his name ) should have given one away iagainst Villareal in the last round and we got away with that.

But that's two finals now where the referee has been utter dire to our cost and it does make you think if there is something more sinister going on or maybe they're just incompetent . ButI guess we won't find out when you put in such gutless performances like the second half.

Of course the penalty decisions could've changed the outcome.

Apart from that I agree with your post.