You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mountains

Mook

Speaking of back bedroom window views, this was mine when I was growing up in the 1970s.

Mt Wellington in Hobart, Tasmania.

I lived a stone's throw from this cluster of homes; the short drive to the summit literally began at the end of my street, Davey St.

Errol Flynn lived in the house two doors up from me, around 110 years ago.

Charles Darwin climbed Mt Wellington in 1836 on his Beagle voyage.

Amundsen sent the telegram of his South Pole "conquest" from the Hobart General Post Office, around 15 minutes walk from the foreground of this photo.

Mt-Wellington-view.jpg

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

New Zealand does kick Australia’s arse when it comes to mountains. Also rugby. Pinot Noir I’m calling a draw.

I'm Tasmanian first, Croatian/Russian second and Australian a distant third.

I'd put some Tasmanian Pinots up there with Burgundy's better drops.

A few years back, there was an old world style Pinot from a tiny Huon Valley vineyard called Panorama.

They used to serve it in first-class on QANTAS.

Not exactly exotic but I remember being on Formby beach and you could see Snowdonia it was so clear on that day it looked great. 

The foreman was Welsh and I think he was about to burst into song, it was a nice sight though. 

That's about the only one I've seen apart from flying over some like the Rockies, tried to take a picture out of the window which came out shit. 

4 hours ago, skaro said:

A few years back, there was an old world style Pinot from a tiny Huon Valley vineyard called Panorama.

I sat next to a half Aussie/half Croatian fella on a flight from Tokyo Narita to Heathrow about 15/16 years ago. We kept sneaking more beers when the stewardesses were asleep. I hope it was you. 

5 hours ago, skaro said:

So you don't regard Tasmania as anything more than an outpost of Australian imperialism?

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I sat next to a half Aussie/half Croatian fella on a flight from Tokyo Narita to Heathrow about 15/16 years ago. We kept sneaking more beers when the stewardesses were asleep. I hope it was you. 

I would have been drinking whiskey down the back of the plane, taking advantage of the Serbian stewardess's reluctant hospitality.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So you don't regard Tasmania as anything more than an outpost of Australian imperialism?

I regard it as a beautiful place, where I was born - the "outpost of Australian imperialism" bit was a bit lost on a kid of Eastern European descent growing up amongst post-WW11 Russian/Croatian/Polish/Ukrainian etc émigrés.

They didn't think much of Churchill, if that counts as downvoting imperialism?

We were just "the wogs".

And the "mainlanders" thought we had two heads.

Nowadays, I regard it as a beautiful place with some of the world's best food, wine etc

I left there when I was 14, unfortunately in some ways, to the big smoke of Melbourne.

11 hours ago, skaro said:

I would have been drinking whiskey down the back of the plane, taking advantage of the Serbian stewardess's reluctant hospitality.

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Funnily enough were were in the seats at the very back 

I knew Stig used to be in the Navy. But I had no idea that after that he became a Stewardess and gave sexual favours in the back of planes.

1 hour ago, TheBitch said:

Hell of an achievement because 30% of people trying summit die in “good” conditions. 

Yup, read a book a while back on a failed ascent of K2, can't remember what it was called but it left a strong impression on me about what a terrifying mountain it is at the best of times

• 1 month later...