You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mountains

Mook

I’ve just booked a b&b for my missus’s 40th birthday in august in Fort William with the intent of going up Ben Nevis cause it’s something she’s talked about for ages.

Other than what I consider hills but might technically be mountains in the Lakes and Dales, I’ve only ever ‘climbed’ one mountain - Tryfan in Snowdonia - which was mostly a scramble, although it was icy and snowy at the top in February.

is it realistic to think I can get up Ben Nevis on a summer jaunt or do i need to put some practice legs in on smaller mountains first to get myself ready?

11 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’ve just booked a b&b for my missus’s 40th birthday in august in Fort William with the intent of going up Ben Nevis cause it’s something she’s talked about for ages.

Other than what I consider hills but might technically be mountains in the Lakes and Dales, I’ve only ever ‘climbed’ one mountain - Tryfan in Snowdonia - which was mostly a scramble, although it was icy and snowy at the top in February.

is it realistic to think I can get up Ben Nevis on a summer jaunt or do i need to put some practice legs in on smaller mountains first to get myself ready?

I did Ben Nevis without any training and managed reasonably ok, from what i remember the path is pretty good and not too much scrambling. I think the important thing is what you wear, it might be warm and sunny but it changes quickly.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I've been up Ben Nevis three times, it's a bit like Piccadilly Circus in the sky these days. As A Red mentioned, make sure you are prepared for fairly extreme changes in weather, start early doors & maybe build up to it over the coming months (depending on how fit you are) but other than that, it's a piece of piss.

I would recommend taking in Glen Nevis & Glen Coe while you're up there, both spectacular.

Also, if you're on Facebook, there's a good Ben Nevis page on there which can be helpful as well as featuring some hilarious questions like 'How much does it cost to climb it?' & 'Are there shops on the way up?'. Seriously.

48 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I have successfully summited Moel Famau, without Oxygen. Mind, I was much younger then.

Had to google that if Im honest- looks a great days walk/hike.

They need to start distributing these big hills out a bit more evenly.

I live in the the South where the best we can Muster is Hengistbury Head. Takes about half an hour!

image.jpeg

The climb from Lulworth to Durdle Door is a good one

Small fry to you Professionals to be fair

Durdle Door walk - Lulworth walk - Dorset walks - Dorset coastal walks

On 10/03/2021 at 09:53, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I would personally put some miles into my legs first only because you’ll suffer like fuck the next day/week if you don’t.
You can also check all your gear is in good nick before going up Ben Nevis. 

I went up Ben Nevis in September (2012), an absolutely beautiful day... until we got to “the zig zags” then it went to shit and we couldn’t see shit, we had hat and gloves and bang average clobber (I was a real beginner back then) but the gloves just weren’t up to scratch. I couldn’t feel my fingers until we got back below the cloud line and I definitely, from experience, wouldn’t underestimate the weather in the mountains, it can change in an instant and can be really disorienting. 
With any luck you’ll have a wonderful day and you’ll be saying to your other half “what was that bitch,TheBitch, screeching at?”

But as my good friend, Jack Reacher always says... Plan for the worst and hope for the best. 

I’d always take a paper map, a compass and know how to use them. Phones can break, inexplicably run out of battery, fall off a cliff, etc. 

Obviously 100’s of people climb it year in and year out with none of these things but me, personally, I wouldn’t wanna be that knob sat on the top in my flip flops waiting for mountain rescue. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All looks to be currently going to shit up on that there Everest. Not sure if this is for here or the Covid-19 thread to be honest.

Nepal & China authorities are adamant that there’s no Covid-19 issues following measures being taken, where as every climber on social media has been pretty damning of how bad it actually is at both Base Camps & above.

One expedition yesterday abandoned the place entirely due to the risks and ever rising amount of people infected with Covid.

Two dead climbers as of recent days but most likely due to high altitude health issues as opposed to Covid-19.  A body is currently on the approach to the Hilary Step (or what remains of the Hilary step) following a death in recent days.

This post is pretty damming. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO93neRB1RS/?igshid=aip71lksvfan

• Upvote 1