You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mountains

Mook

1 minute ago, TheBitch said:

Meant to quote you here @Mook

Went up Cairn Gorm on day 1. 

Then we did one next to it on day 2 that isn’t a Munro. 

Today i did one called Sgòr Gaoith. 

I’m saving Ben Macdui for when I know the conditions are gonna be spot on. 

Nice one, good luck with it.

I've only been to The Cairngorms once (didn't make it up any Munros), it's a wild place.

56 minutes ago, Champ said:

Great to hear you got yourself on to a skills course...although there doesn’t look to be a lot of snow about 

The ski places are struggling because there’s not enough snow for them. Think there was only one lift open and that was just a beginners one on the lower slopes. 

Enough for me to need my crampons though so screw those skiers. 

• 5 months later...

Saw a brilliant documentary on National Geographic  (which is on catch up) about an expedition to find George Mallory’s climbing partner Sandy Irvine and hopefully his camera to try and find out if they actually made the summit The scenery breathtaking and well worth trying to get in it HD.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2020/07/our-team-climbed-everest-to-try-to-solve-its-greatest-mystery-feature/

Fuck me though the queues to get up to the top of Everest kind of puts queueing to get into the Asda into perspective .

_111254203_8d8f9dd1-cecb-4acd-a4d9-9455d

18 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Saw a brilliant documentary on National Geographic  (which is on catch up) about an expedition to find George Mallory’s partner Sandy Irvine and hopefully his camera . The scenery when they climb the summit is breathtaking and well worth trying to get in it HD.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2020/07/our-team-climbed-everest-to-try-to-solve-its-greatest-mystery-feature/

Fuck me though the queues to get up to the top of Everest kind of puts queueing to get into the Asda into perspective .

What lens did you use for that shot mate? .... 

45 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Saw a brilliant documentary on National Geographic  (which is on catch up) about an expedition to find George Mallory’s climbing partner Sandy Irvine and hopefully his camera to try and find out if they actually made the summit The scenery breathtaking and well worth trying to get in it HD.

there's less atmosphere in the queue for the Asda

• 6 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hp3m

The legend of Hamish MacInnes is on BBC iPlayer if any real mountain nerds fancy wasting an hour and 20 mins.

Known as the fox of Glencoe, he lead an extraordinary life and there's some cracking old footage and stories including his design of safety and rescue gear that's still in use now and also telling how he was mis-diagnosed with dementia and locked up in a mental ward with nobody listening to his protests when he had a urinary infection. Pretty sad how such a legend who saved countless lives was thrown on the scrapheap for a time.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheBitch said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hp3m

The legend of Hamish MacInnes is on BBC iPlayer if any real mountain nerds fancy wasting an hour and 20 mins.

Known as the fox of Glencoe, he lead an extraordinary life and there's some cracking old footage and stories including his design of safety and rescue gear that's still in use now and also telling how he was mis-diagnosed with dementia and locked up in a mental ward with nobody listening to his protests when he had a urinary infection. Pretty sad how such a legend who saved countless lives was thrown on the scrapheap for a time.

I watched that a couple of weeks back. A bit intense, wasn’t he?

I also suspect his interpretation of what happened to him when he was detained in hospital was a little different from the reality. Delirium is a very common feature of a UTI which may well have resulted in his detention as he had temporarily lost the capacity to make sound judgements about his fitness to leave hospital or otherwise 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TheBitch said:

Yeah he was intense, I thought on one of the old interviews when he was talking about friends he’d lost that he was almost dead behind the eyes. 

I’ve been to a few talks given by climbers of that era, Chris Bonnington, Joe Brown, Don Whillans, and they all spoke in a very similar casual way about the deaths of close friends. Occupational hazard. Quite uncomfortable listening 

I’ve only been to one, that was with Kenton Cool and he was almost in tears talking about the death of a Chinese man that had been left but there was no way of getting him down. I can’t remember the exact story but he was possibly still alive when they found him. 

Some great names there though, Champ. 

This landed on the doormat this morning, a man can dream that one day we will be allowed out of the house again. 

I was planning on climbing all of Scotland’s Munro’s as a bit of a life challenge, there’s 282 of them and my plan was to save all the very best ones as something to look forward to, but last year has taught me that that’s a fucking wank idea, life is too short and absolutely anything could happen and I could be dead or have lost the use of my legs and I’d have to look at pictures of the likes of Liathac, so I’m gonna do all the best ones first and maybe do them over and again up different routes. Fuck doing some boring ones for the sake of completing a list. 
Fuck you in the face 2020 and fuck you in the face 2021 so far too and fuck you in the face too Boris Johnson you incompetent wanker. 

460FF383-8D02-4AE3-921F-247EC2026E5F.jpeg

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2021 at 15:17, TheBitch said:

This landed on the doormat this morning, a man can dream that one day we will be allowed out of the house again. 

I was planning on climbing all of Scotland’s Munro’s as a bit of a life challenge, there’s 282 of them and my plan was to save all the very best ones as something to look forward to, but last year has taught me that that’s a fucking wank idea, life is too short and absolutely anything could happen and I could be dead or have lost the use of my legs and I’d have to look at pictures of the likes of Liathac, so I’m gonna do all the best ones first and maybe do them over and again up different routes. Fuck doing some boring ones for the sake of completing a list. 
Fuck you in the face 2020 and fuck you in the face 2021 so far too and fuck you in the face too Boris Johnson you incompetent wanker. 

460FF383-8D02-4AE3-921F-247EC2026E5F.jpeg

I began 2020 saying one of my plans for the year was to climb more mountains. That turned out well

9 minutes ago, Champ said:

What was the neg for Daisy?

The eejits have been charged by the Police for breaching travel regulations 

That was Saturday night.

The picture above was from Sunday night & the two climbers were local.