You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mountains

Mook

I thought I'd put this on here rather than the dead pool...

Was reported that Swiss mountaineer Ueli Steck was killed on Mount Everest over the weekend (I guess it's true what goes up must come down).

I remember watching a brilliant documentary about the Eiger on BBC 4 a few years back and at the end of the programme they showed this stunning footage of this bloke speed climbing up the North face. Especially when you consider something like 60 people have died on this mountain and it used to take days to reach the summit

He has since broke that record in 2015 taking just 2 hours 22 minutes, by taking on the famous Heckmair Route which if you have ever read about the Eiger includes the infamous Hinterstoisser Traverse, made famous by the Toni Kurz party (brilliant German movie called the North Face about that)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpYNr7es0Y

• Upvote 3

Was reported that Swiss mountaineer Ueli Steck was killed on Mount Everest over the weekend (I guess it's true what goes up must come down).

I remember watching a brilliant documentary about the Eiger on BBC 4 a few years back and at the end of the programme they showed this stunning footage of this bloke speed climbing up the North face. Especially when you consider something like 60 people have died on this mountain and it used to take days to reach the summit

He has since broke that record in 2015 taking just 2 hours 22 minutes, by taking on the famous Heckmair Route which if you have ever read about the Eiger includes the infamous Hinterstoisser Traverse, made famous by the Toni Kurz party (brilliant German movie called the North Face about that)

I think I too may have seen this doc,or something similar and there is an actual door or window about 5,000 feet up?

I think I too may have seen this doc,or something similar and there is an actual door or window about 5,000 feet up?

There is a door up there and a gallery window I think, it was originally used by the workers when they were building the railway line on the mountain.

There is also another documentary called the Beckoning Silence in which Joe Simpson starts his climb from there (around 11 minutes in although it's worth watching the whole thing it's a fantastic documentary as is the book that it's based on,)

Even though it's amazing what Ueli Steck achieved and shows how far mountaineering has come I think it kinda takes away the romance of the Mountain although I'm sure the blokes who died wouldn't have thought that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfcjH3W4Vbc

• Upvote 1

I remember watching a brilliant documentary about the Eiger on BBC 4 a few years back and at the end of the programme they showed this stunning footage of this bloke speed climbing up the North face. Especially when you consider something like 60 people have died on this mountain and it used to take days to reach the summit

Holy fucking fuck. That's sad news.

That summit of the Eiger is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

He also did Annapurna I think and lost a glove on the way up? That in itself could be fatal and he himself knew that was a close call. It's really sad news, he was truly groundbreaking in the speed he was doing but it was always a matter of time for someone like him as you do not get second chances on the big peaks.

• Upvote 1

That's brilliant but it doesn't half give me the heebie-jeebies watching it

That's brilliant but it doesn't half give me the heebie-jeebies watching it

Yeah me too. It was only a matter of time before he came unstuck though. You just don't get a second chance on the big peaks, they're absolutely brutal, unless you see them up close and personal, you can't comprehend how horrible yet beautiful they really are.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't mess with the big guy.

Must have been pretty gruesome to find them like that.

Guess it still shows even though more and more want to climb Everest it still demands respect.

Four found dead in tent at highest camp on Mount Everest

The bodies were found by a team searching for the body of Slovak mountaineer Vladimir Strba, who died over the weekend.

Four bodies have been found inside a tent at the highest camp on Mount Everest.

Officials said the four bodies were found by a team who were there to recover the body of Slovak mountaineer Vladimir Strba, who died over the weekend.

The identities of the other dead climbers in the tent are still unknown.

Ang Tshering Sherpa, the president of the Nepal Mountaineering Association, said conditions on the mountain were windy on Tuesday.

He said Mr Strba's body has been brought down to Camp Two at 6,400 metres (21,000 feet) and is expected to be brought down to base camp later on Wednesday.

Six climbers have already died attempting to reach the 8,850m (29,035ft) summit of the world's highest mountain during this climbing season

The climbing season ends this month.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I always find stuff like this amazingly interesting but kinda creepy too...

Bodies of Swiss couple missing for 75 years found on glacier

Marcelin and Francine Dumoulin, the parents of seven children, discovered perfectly preserved near ski lift by worker

The frozen bodies of a Swiss couple who went missing 75 years ago in the Alps have been found on a shrinking glacier, Swiss media said.

Marcelin and Francine Dumoulin, the parents of seven children, had gone to milk their cows in a meadow above Chandolin in the Valais canton on 15 August 1942.

“We spent our whole lives looking for them, without stopping. We thought that we could give them the funeral they deserved one day,” their youngest daughter, Marceline Udry-Dumoulin, 75, told the Lausanne daily Le Matin.

“I can say that after 75 years of waiting this news gives me a deep sense of calm.”

Valais cantonal police said two bodies bearing identity papers had been discovered last week by a worker on Tsanfleuron glacier near a ski lift above Les Diablerets resort at an altitude of 2,615 metres (8,600ft).

DNA testing would be carried out to confirm their identities.

“The bodies were lying near each other. It was a man and a woman wearing clothing dating from the period of world war two,” Bernhard Tschannen, the director of Glacier 3000, told the paper.

“They were perfectly preserved in the glacier and their belongings were intact.”

He told theTribune de Geneve: “We think they may have fallen into a crevasse where they stayed for decades. As the glacier receded, it gave up their bodies.”

Marcelin Dumoulin, 40, a shoemaker, and Francine, 37, a teacher, left five sons and two daughters.

“It was the first time my mother went with him on such an excursion. She was always pregnant and couldn’t climb in the difficult conditions of a glacier,” Udry-Dumoulin said.

“After a while, we children were separated and placed in families. I was lucky to stay with my aunt. We all lived in the region but became strangers.”

She added: “For the funeral, I won’t wear black. I think that white would be more appropriate. It represents hope, which I never lost.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/18/bodies-of-swiss-couple-missing-for-75-years-found-on-glacier

TELEMMGLPICT000135063477-large_trans_NvB

• 4 weeks later...

Be ace living somewhere like that.

I've always wanted to go to Zermatt but it's a pain in the arse to get to and a bit expensive for me.

If I went now I would spend the week getting a clip around the ear for staring up at the Matterhorn & ignoring the missus.

Guest Pistonbroke

I've always wanted to go to Zermatt but it's a pain in the arse to get to and a bit expensive for me.

If I went now I would spend the week getting a clip around the ear for staring up at the Matterhorn & ignoring the missus.

I've not been myself mate. Skied the Nebelhorn which was nice enough, I'd love to visit the Matterhorn but skiing it would be out of the question with my hips.