You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mountains

Mook

I looked for a thread but couldn't find one, I used to be obsessed with mountains when I was little, I still have a passing interest now although climbing them can be a bit of a struggle.

Anyway, according to this article, it turns out that Mount Everest has some competition for the title of World's highest mountain...

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/mount-everest-isn%e2%80%99t-actually-the-tallest-mountain-%e2%80%93-ecuador%e2%80%99s-chimborazo-beats-it/ar-BBtb7MJ?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

All of those that bravely and or riskily climbed up Mount Everest might have done so in vain – they weren’t climbing the world’s highest mountain at all, according to scientists.

Mount Everest is actually beaten out by Chimborazo, in Ecuador.

Everest still wins on the traditional metrics: it’s nearly 9,000 metres above sea level, thousands more than any of its closest rivals.

But it’s not actually the furthest up, or the closest to space. Ecuador’s mountain beats it out on that measure, and it’s all because of the Earth’s funny shape.

Everest only wins when measured on sea level. But if instead you measure out from the centre of the Earth, Chimborazo wins easily – and Everest wouldn’t even get into the top 20 mountains.

Those funny results come because the Earth isn’t a perfect sphere, but a squashed one that is flattened at the top and bottom and bulges out slightly in the middle.

That shape gives an advantage to any mountains that happen to lie along the equator. And Chimborazo is a beneficiary of that – it’s very close to the Earth’s bulging middle, while Everest is about a third of the way towards the top.

A recent climb up the mountain by hikers from the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement in France found that it was actually 15 feet shorter than previously thought, reports the New York Times. But it’s still easy the furthest from the Earth’s centre.

Mount Everest doesn’t even really get to be the highest mountain on some other measures. Hawaii’s Mauna Kea is a lot bigger from top to bottom – but since that bottom and much of the rest of the mountain is under the sea, it isn’t able to match Everest’s record-breaking height when measured in relation to sea level.

Everest’s fame and infamy really comes from the fact that it is the highest climb – and so the hardest one, too.

Chimborazo is relatively easy to ascend – done in about two weeks as opposed to the weeks of work that must be done to get up Everest.

mount-chimborizo-ecuador-equator-tallest

• Upvote 3

Mountains are the best. Climbed Kilimanjaro a few years ago with the old man as a father-son bonding thing - great experience.

Go to the Alps every year to walk in the mountains with the missus and dog for a week. Nothing like it for clearing your head of every day crap. The scale and the beauty of them is just pure therapy.

Going to Kaprun in a couple of weeks for such a holiday - will be hiking here

5126b8a8646fd982f63ff998f2d36cd7.jpg890e2684701393b78463013907657f5e.jpgc0d1d09b632ab71184c63498ec1f8046.jpg

• Upvote 6

Knew a guy who did the Vinson Massif after he left the marines. Like Kilimanjaro, there's no climbing involved but he did it during a three week hike across Antartica. Reckoned it was one of the most beautiful sites he'd ever seen, once he got his mind off how cold he was

Posted Image

• Upvote 3

And one of my own photos of a glacier taken from the peak of Kilimanjaro. Those fluffy clouds below are 5 km above the Maasai Mara.

They reckon that the glaciers there are melting so fast that they'll be gone within 30 years. Climate change is a fucker

Posted Image

• Upvote 5

Mount Roraima fascinates me. Flat topped mountain, the inspiration for Arthur Conan Doyles "The Lost World".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Roraima

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/mount-roraima

rFvuqnt.jpg

I've been up there, was great.

On the way back down I saw the largest butterfly ever, it was perfectly blue and each wing was A4 in size. One of the great minor regrets in my life that I didn't chase after it and get a photo. The missus had done her knee in a bit so I decided not to run off.

• Upvote 2

No news on the wife's job mate, so staying put for now. Let us know when yer down for a beer, I'm doing a a fair bit of training for the Oxfam 100k so bevies are according to a schedule.

A bit full on here as I've taken over department and have a bit of stuff to sort out before I head off to SE Asia in 3 weeks, but deffo when I get back - if you're still here mate.

Mountains are the best. Climbed Kilimanjaro a few years ago with the old man as a father-son bonding thing - great experience.

Go to the Alps every year to walk in the mountains with the missus and dog for a week. Nothing like it for clearing your head of every day crap. The scale and the beauty of them is just pure therapy.

Going to Kaprun in a couple of weeks for such a holiday - will be hiking here

5126b8a8646fd982f63ff998f2d36cd7.jpg890e2684701393b78463013907657f5e.jpgc0d1d09b632ab71184c63498ec1f8046.jpg

I'm looking to do a walk through the Alps from Oberstdorf to Bolzano this summer.. Have you done it?

http://www.hikeventures.com/e5-crossing-the-alps-from-germany-to-italy/

I'm looking to do a walk through the Alps from Oberstdorf to Bolzano this summer.. Have you done it?http://www.hikeventures.com/e5-crossing-the-alps-from-germany-to-italy/

Haven't done that. We can drive from here to the Eastern side of the Alps and always take our dog with us so organised hikes tend to exclude us. Looks amazing though. Looking forward to your pics

After seeing some of the posts on here and the photos I feel a bit of a nonce saying I conquered Snowdon last week for this first time....

But fuck it I did it and on the Pyg trail too....

Remember doing Snowdon a few years back. Did a trail that took me over a ridge that seemed surprisingly difficult and a bit terrifying (possibly Pyg). Views were fantastic although I did feel a bit pissed off by being swamped by people who had taken the train