You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

I think he's got the tools to become a decent keeper. There's a few parts to his game that I would like to see improve:

• Taking no prisoners when coming out and getting the ball (even if you're punched/elbowed in the face) from a set piece. 
  • Catching the ball over punching - adds more confidence to our back line.
  • Being more vocal/commanding. He's got better vision over anyone on the pitch, would be nice to hear that. 

I want to like him but with inconsistencies/bad decisions, it's easily to see him as a potential weakness in our defensive capabilities. 

It’s fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain why he didn’t catch it. He wasn’t sure what was around him. Rather than try to catch and awkward ball and potentially spill leaving an open goal he’s played the percentages and opted to punch it out. He gambled I’m being able to save a spurs players shot or one of our players getting in the way.

Chamberlain wasn’t awake and Wanyama hit a worldie. I’d back him to do the same thing again.

There was nothing around him - surely he should be absolutely aware of that and then be able to punch the ball further than about 7-10 yards before it bounces.

It is an easy catch under no pressure at all.

• Upvote 1

Believe what you want to believe. I don’t think he’s good enough. I think even Mignolet is better than him and probably shouldn’t have been dropped. If you’re picking that punch as something that’s an error you’re clueless and have an agenda against him in my opinion. He can’t be 100% what’s around him because the game is played at 100mph. If he tries to catch it and doesn’t and they scored you would be in here saying why doesn’t he punch it. A spurs player has still got to hit a great shot and our midfielders have got to be asleep to allow it to happen. Our keepers can’t win with some of you.

It’s the same with the centre backs. They both had great games. Lovren missed one kick where Kane should have been flagged offside and Van Dijk gave a penalty away which was a complete accident. We kept out one of the best attacks in the league. It’s the first game in years where I was thinking “concede a corner, I don’t give a shit we will defend it.” and I haven felt like that since Hyypia was here.

• Upvote 2

^^^What is 'clueless' about calling out a keeper for punching a ball barely 10 yards before it hit deck when he could have caught it when there wasn't an attacking player near him/nobody challenged him?

Yes it should have been cleared after the punch but 1. Get distance on it if you punch and 2. Catch it especially if under no pressure.

It is poor keeping (and defending) IMO.

^^^What is 'clueless' about calling out a keeper for punching a ball barely 10 yards before it hit deck when he could have caught it when there wasn't an attacking player near him/nobody challenged him?

Yes it should have been cleared after the punch but 1. Get distance on it if you punch and 2. Catch it especially if under no pressure.

It is poor keeping (and defending) IMO.

There’s no way he could have punched it higher in the air, because the ball was low down. Repeatedly banging on about that is what’s making it look like you are a clueless agenda mouse.

He could definitely have caught it though, you’re right there.

There was nothing around him - surely he should be absolutely aware of that and then be able to punch the ball further than about 7-10 yards before it bounces.

It is an easy catch under no pressure at all.

yeah  but we can all sit here and say that but then you could say why was the cross allowed to come in  why didnt someone block the thunderous shot that went in or why didnt the keeper jump up off the floor and tip the ball over the bar? 99 times out of 100 that would have blazed over the bar or the  punch would have  been cleared.To be honest we are far to critical at times plus i thought it was 1 karius's better games and if he can build on that and given a fair run then who knows 

There’s no way he could have punched it higher in the air, because the ball was low down. Repeatedly banging on about that is what’s making it look like you are a clueless agenda mouse.

He could definitely have caught it though, you’re right there.

People have in this thread claimed he punched it and it was right decision...all i am doing is saying the punch was shite and wrong.

The fact he punched it when it was low is the biggest problem but for me he should still get more distance on it than the roughly what 8 yards he did if he must punch.

That said the bad defending after it does nobody any favours.

The argument that if he dropped it they might have scored as it drops to them is negated by fact he has no idea where it lands either if he punches.

We agree he should have caught it.

A really funny looking 8 yard punch that ended up 30 yards away from goal.

He was excellent yesterday, rat face Neville and vapid Jamie Redknapp could not wait for the first excuse to stick the boot in. Really crazy to see such an obvious agenda on display, so brazenly. ‘Diabolical’ goalkeeping, they said. The fuck?!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd say his decision to punch the ball away for the first goal was a fair one and the lazy leg attempt by our player(Can was it?) was the reason Wanyama scored,if anybody was to be blamed as it was a superb goal anyhow. The penalty he allegedly gave away was an obvious dive and he did well and looked confident all game. Karius and our defence were only beaten by a worldie and another shocking dive and appalling officiating. One letdown was despite having a pretty good game Lovren yet again had a brain fart which led to their missed penalty. Anybody who says Karius should have caught the cross that led to the first goal has never played in goal nor had to deal with these ridiculously bendy modern footballs.

• Upvote 1

Most people on here saying he had a good game yesterday have called him utter shit in the past, myself included. Therefore there is no agenda about him either way. He was good yesterday, hopefully he can kick on. Mignolet wouldn't have done any better and no way would he have saved the shot when Kane was clean through and Karius stayed big and blocked it.

Most people on here saying he had a good game yesterday have called him utter shit in the past, myself included. Therefore there is no agenda about him either way. He was good yesterday, hopefully he can kick on. Mignolet wouldn't have done any better and no way would he have saved the shot when Kane was clean through and Karius stayed big and blocked it.

No agenda? Are you mad? It’s blatantly obvious. They had fuck all to pick on the entire game so decided to use a moment when he was elbowed in the face to push the idea that he’s dodgy and unconvincing, then went in with both barrels blaming him for Wanyama’s blooter. Neville, in particular, is so far entrenched in his opinion that he really comes across as a total fucking blinkered fool (not that it’s any challenge for him). Just one of the many, many deeply irritating things about yesterday’s game.

It’s on Chamberlain if anything. I can’t believe how little people pick up watching the game. Chamberlain is goal side of Wanyama as the cross comes in. As Karius punches it he starts to move forward. The only time Chamberlain decides it’s time to move is when Wanyama is already slamming the shot home. Had he been even remotely alive to any of it Wanyama wouldn’t have got to the punched ball never mind had a free shot.

• Upvote 1

I thought Jamie Redknapp was a spanner yesterday- he's labelling Karius as diabolical for the punch

Its always interesting to note that there is hardly ever a goalkeeper among Sky's set of panellists. Not that I watch any of that 'analysing' bollocks anyway. When somebody who is a permanent fixture on A League of Their Own is also a regular football panellist you know not to take them seriously.

Good point that. They also have 2 or 3 pundits. Considering all the controversial stuff around penalties and keepers being blamed for stuff a lot then it makes sense to have one but would probably only offer up the useless nonsense like the rest.

Very few pundits are ever truly controversial,its more stupidity really,but goalkeepers seem to be very unrepresented on these panels so become fair game for everything as the panellists have very little idea of being a keeper at all,least of all the technical side of playing in that position. Its probably difficult for a keeper to relay some of the stuff as he acts on instinct too.

I don't know why you're all fixated on Karius after yesterday, He wasn't the reason we didn't win.

His performance was a mixture of a couple of decent saves and some nervy moments where he elected to punch, one occasion he was unlucky and got punished by a fluke wonder strike..

No way did he look a strong and secure keeper but you can forgive him for having some nerves given the slating he gets.. He quickly needs to learn to catch more balls if he has any ambitions to carry on beyond the end of the season, All that said he cant be blamed in any way for our wasteful play in front of goal. 

Karius was fine yesterday, even his punch was understandable and decent and would have been perfectly sufficient if the fraud Can would have hooked it away with his left boot instead of flicking it out to Wanyama with his right.

Karius was fine yesterday, even his punch was understandable and decent and would have been perfectly sufficient if the fraud Can would have hooked it away with his left boot instead of flicking it out to Wanyama with his right.

Yep. So long as the keeper is getting the ball out of the box the responsibility falls to the defending players thereafter. As Klopp keeps saying second ball.