You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

We’re a harsh crowd!

He started his Liverpool career as a bag of nerves and made too many mistakes. So he has a lot of work to do to convince us he should be the long term number one.

Today he placed a credit in the bank. (How overdrawn he was is open to debate, but he still has a lot more to do to convince us).

He saved a shot from Dembele and held it.

He made another save from a shot.

He saved one on one when he came out.

He saved a penalty.

He came off his line and did several punches throughout the game (most goalies today punch the ball rather than catch. The ball is light and it swerves around, which is probably why punching has become more of a feature).

The one punch had decent distance but Wanyama hit the shot of his life. If you want to criticize that one, have a pop at Emre Can for lazily dangling his leg and not helping the punch on its way by clearing further downfield.

I’m not suggesting Karius is the next Clemence or whatever, but fair play to him for a good display today. Keep it up lad!

• Upvote 3

I don't think Karius should be criticized for punching that ball instead of catching it. One of the Spurs players (either Eriksen or Lamela) was on the penalty spot and if Karius had fumbled the ball in attempting a catch on the stretch, he wouldn't be in a position to recover the ball and the Spurs player would have had a chance to shoot (Eriksen) or tumble over Karius theatrically (Lamela). It was a solid punch that got distance and crucially was away from any of the Spurs players. He couldn't have envisaged a lazy swipe from Can, a complete switch-off from AOC and the ball dropping to a player to hit the sort of shot that 99 times out of 100 would fail to hit the target.

• Upvote 2

I don't think Karius should be criticized for punching that ball instead of catching it. One of the Spurs players (either Eriksen or Lamela) was on the penalty spot and if Karius had fumbled the ball in attempting a catch on the stretch, he wouldn't be in a position to recover the ball and the Spurs player would have had a chance to shoot (Eriksen) or tumble over Karius theatrically (Lamela). It was a solid punch that got distance and crucially was away from any of the Spurs players. He couldn't have envisaged a lazy swipe from Can, a complete switch-off from AOC and the ball dropping to a player to hit the sort of shot that 99 times out of 100 would fail to hit the target.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with that punch. Shot was a fluke. Love to see the guy score 7 or 8 out of ten in the same circumstances to show it was no flash in the pan, but that’s exactly what it was. A one-off - the odds were against it going in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can see why he punches the ball, the cross had a bit of pace on it and there were Spurs players around who could've ran onto it had he failed to catch the ball. I don't see how punching a ball 25 - 30 yards out is in any way feeble either. He had a good game today against good opposition. It is only one performance of course, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. Hopefully the improvement continues.

• Upvote 1

He said in his interview something like, he didn't know what was around him. And that it was a pretty good punch anyway.

It's alarming that he thought it was a good punch. Surely if you're going to punch it, punch it in the air as far away as possible.

Lovren's air kick for the first penalty was a thing of beauty. I'd love to hear his explanation for that. Fair play to Karius for saving it when it was hit right at him.

Difficult to punch a ball in the air when it is coming across flat & two foot off the ground , and the pen was straight at him but was only saved as he ( and the coach ) decided the best tactic was to stay put which is very unusual.

I have been critical of Karius but thought there was enough material there to work on , and there should be no more messing about giving Mig odd games to keep him happy.

• Upvote 1

I can see why he punches the ball, the cross had a bit of pace on it and there were Spurs players around who could've ran onto it had he failed to catch the ball. I don't see how punching a ball 25 - 30 yards out is in any way feeble either. He had a good game today against good opposition. It is only one performance of course, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. Hopefully the improvement continues.

Not sure he punched it 25-30 yards...more like 10 before it bounces...it bounces well inside our box...near to VVD does not even make penalty spot and then again near Can who is on edge of box.

It is an awful punch and he was under no pressure in catching it

He is let down by defenders after it mind

Watch:

https://deadspin.com/victor-wanyamas-stunning-golazo-kicks-off-insane-spurs-1822708482

Difficult to punch a ball in the air when it is coming across flat & two foot off the ground , and the pen was straight at him but was only saved as he ( and the coach ) decided the best tactic was to stay put which is very unusual.

I have been critical of Karius but thought there was enough material there to work on , and there should be no more messing about giving Mig odd games to keep him happy.

If it's difficult to punch in the air and it's two foot off the ground, why not catch/smother it? The point is punches in the air away from the goal will generally be a better defensive play than punching at eye level. Catching/smothering will definitely be a better play than punching. Decision making is a huge part of being a goalkeeper. Technically Karius is definitely a better keeper than Mignolet but hopefully he can start working on the decision making. 

It’s fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain why he didn’t catch it. He wasn’t sure what was around him. Rather than try to catch an awkward ball and potentially spill leaving an open goal he’s played the percentages and opted to punch it out. He gambled on being able to save a spurs players shot or one of our players getting in the way.

Chamberlain wasn’t awake and Wanyama hit a worldie. I’d back him to do the same thing again.

• Upvote 1