You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Reina had a tricky apprenticeship start at Barca and had to join Villareal to break through. When we bought him he was at his peak,regardless of age. We took a chance on Karius for buttons so if he's a failure its no big loss. Our problem is the joker we have as number 1,he's average at best and has never been any better. We've fucked around on cheaper options to avoid buying a proper number 1 and its yet more false economy. Its the Hedge Fund way.

I am fine with paying top dollar for a number 1 - which we have not -  but if I remember Reina cost less, and was on less (I know this was eleventy years ago ) while being billed as one of the top keepers in the world at the time. He seemed to slot right in.

About time. Much better keeper than Mignolet despite what anyone who made their mind up before a ball was kicked thinks.

I know it is easier to just invent opinions to attack, but at least try to spend a little time in this reality from time to time. The vast majority of people on here had no fucking clue what Karius was like, but most were hoping he reached the lofty heights of “Better than Mignolet”. The problems began AFTER balls were kicked (straight to the opposition, into the stands...etc.). The bloke has been absolutely gash for us, no matter what fiction your feverish mind comes up with.

• Upvote 2

I am fine with paying top dollar for a number 1 - which we have not - but if I remember Reina cost less, and was on less (I know this was eleventy years ago ) while being billed as one of the top keepers in the world at the time. He seemed to slot right in.

Wasn't Pepe fee a record for a keeper in Britain at the time. Pretty sure i remember reading that when he signed

I am fine with paying top dollar for a number 1 - which we have not - but if I remember Reina cost less, and was on less (I know this was eleventy years ago ) while being billed as one of the top keepers in the world at the time. He seemed to slot right in.

Reina was about 8 million quid at the time and that was a hefty transfer for a GK back then.

I know it is easier to just invent opinions to attack, but at least try to spend a little time in this reality from time to time. The vast majority of people on here had no fucking clue what Karius was like, but most were hoping he reached the lofty heights of “Better than Mignolet”. The problems began AFTER balls were kicked (straight to the opposition, into the stands...etc.). The bloke has been absolutely gash for us, no matter what fiction your feverish mind comes up with.

Which pre season game did we find this out again?

• 4 weeks later...

Was alright tonight. Made a hugely important save at 1-0. I alo enjoyed the decisive and old-fashioned bit of keeping, where he came out to punch the ball and cleaned out the striker.

I agree with this,was probably pretty good in my book,but the caveat is that even with his half decent performance we conceded three goals still. Not blaming him for the goals but its typical of our team as a whole.

He made two decent saves that on another night they go in and we’re all calling him a shit wristed prick. He got the little bit of luck that’s evading him since he’s been here, the type of luck De Gea always gets by just about getting enough on it to tip it onto the post or bar.

He did well considering we conceded three, id give him a run in the league now and if he costs us points and fucks up again then it’s clear he’s not right for us long term. He should have gained quite a bit of confidence from the games he’s played this season so that won’t be an issue. It’ll be solely down to him not being good enough. Mignolet is not our long term No.1 that part is clear, give Karius his chance now and if he grasps it with both hands he’ll be our keeper for the next 10 years, if not he’ll be replaced in the summer. Sink or swim time.