You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Karius was not responsible for both goals against West Ham,only the free kick. It was a shame in the Bournemouth game and pulled off a worldy before the mistake for the winner. He is talented but will now,rightly,have to fight for his place like any good goalkeeper should.

That save on Afobe was no worldy, he came off his line quick and spread himself well, was a poor finish. Failing to get down to Fraser's goal was appalling and payet's free kick even worse.

I think we can tell now when someone is going to get a high profile dropping. happened with Moreno earlier in season. Klopp defends them vehemently in public then tells them they're out of the team.

Karius has to take stock and build his confidence which hasnt looked good since he replaced mignolet if Im honest.

If he had of played tonight and that shot at mignolet's near post had of gone in, Karius would have been hammered (as would mignolet probably!).

I think Klopp's done the right thing taking him out of the limelight. He can play him in the LC for starters.

People chuck 'worldie' around for saves far too often, stuff like that was meat and drink to Brucie and Clemence.

Mignolet's kept his head down and worked hard in training. He's got to maintain a standard and not revert to fuck ups. But Ive said before, I dontsee either of them as a long term solution unless Karius really does start showing form.

• Upvote 2

The Gaffer speaks.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/246763-jurgen-klopp-on-boro-win-mignolet-s-return-and-origi-knock

On his decision to start Mignolet ahead of Karius…

The situation is LFC is a long-term project. We really want to improve the club. We know we have to be successful as soon as possible, but on the other hand we all feel comfortable in the situation with each other - the goalkeepers included. I know how strong Loris Karius is, but unfortunately he couldn't show it in the last one, two, three games - I'm not sure, that's not too important. I am absolutely not interested in public pressure, but I am interested in the boy and there is no reason to push him through this situation. In the end, everything is one little mistake - which can happen to each goalkeeper in the world. So after one little mistake, should I say 'OK, that's it, final judgement - I don't want to see him anymore'? There's absolutely no reason, especially when you have a goalkeeper like Simon Mignolet in training, on the bench, in character… a great footballer, a really, really good goalkeeper. He played really well at the beginning of the season, so there is no reason to push Loris through, that's why we made this change quite early and that's all, nothing else. We are fine and good.

On Karius' reaction to the decision…

It's not that he immediately wanted a hug! It's a normal decision and in football it is like this. When you are at the right club and you are not in the best moment, you step aside for a moment, train hard, improve, get back to your best shape and then we will see what happens. It is absolutely all OK, but of course for a player in the first moment it was not the best moment in life.

On giving Karius a timeframe for a possible return...

No, that's not how football works. I didn't tell him. Now it is Simon's chance. I am really happy with our goalkeeper situation. We have these two really, really good goalkeepers; a very experienced Alex Manninger, who is a wonderful person; three outstanding really young goalkeepers. The goalkeeping situation at Liverpool is really good so that's why I said there is no reason to push one through, we want to develop the players. We are fine with our boys. Loris is still very young, he is a big, big goalkeeping talent and everything will be good in the end but there is no timeframe for when he will be back.

• Upvote 1

It's a team game. The "Karius lost us 5 points" narrative needs to be nipped in the bud, in my view. Obviously he made mistakes but it would be easy to pick out other players too. I like the way Klopp is playing this. Affirm the goalie, reassure him, but also take him out of the firing line while it's all a bit heated. And fair play to Mignolet for the way he responded today.

• Upvote 3

One thing we know for sure is it won't be long until Mignolet costs us.   We need a new keeper if Karius isn't ready cause we're already 100 percent positive that the Belgian is eyeaids.

We don't know that yet, we think he will cost us points at some stage. Karius has cost us 5 points though. I agree with Klopp on this, good decision.

For 3 years Mignolet cost us ooints and a trophy last year. We know he isnt good enough

He's not good enough long term of course, as if we want to challenge we need a goalie who can actually save us points. That goalkeeper won't be available at least til the summer IMO. As I see it we have two option:

1. Buy a world class goalie like Oblak for example, and write Karius off, accept that he will not good enough for us.

2. Get a stop gap like Heaton. Let Karius learn his trade in the reserves, and hope in 2-3 years he will have ironed out his mistakes be ready to take over as our No. 1.

For now, Karius has had his chance, and Mignolet is less likely to cost us points.. so he starts.

Fuck knows,he is a journeyman who is shite. He pulled off a load of saves against the mancs and is the new flavour of the month.

Mignolet should start he has the shirt but saying we dont know Mig will cost us points is nonsense as he has done it for 3 years

Good decision Klopp. Axing Karius is not the main thing, it's giving Mig a chance that I like. Karius has been very poor. How could you defend a decision to keep Karius in the team and still keep Mignolet motivated?

Mignolet had a superb match against Boro, He took his chance with both hands, He's got to keep his place now. I know he's made costly mistakes in the past, but for me he's still a keeper with ability. He started his career nervously for us and has in a way been on his back foot ever since. Now he's on his front foot. Go on Mig! - prove yourself!

We scored 5 goals in those games. enough goals to win both.

So what

They still made mistakes that cost us points. Its no different.

I have no issue with dropping Jarius i have a issue with him being the only reason we dropped points when outfield players didnt defend well and mossed some sitters