You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Karius has not been solid enough, so criticism should be expected, but at the moment it's not even handed. The West Ham goalkeeper made a dreadful mistake in spilling the cross right to Origi, but I'm not sure he's getting much stick for it.

Just on that. Randolf is a journeyman pro, and you could see that he held his hands up yesterday and took the blame for that mistake. Wasn't even interested in the worldie he pulled off to get them a point. I think he'll probably find his way out of the West Ham team soon enough again, but I'll say one thing for him. He will come for a cross and catch it, and he is brave.

These are things that used to be a given for any keeper. Don't know when that part of the job description was dropped.

This whole punching/catching thing is clearly tactical. Mignolet does it as well. It saves the risk of big grocks jumping all over the keeper when he tries to catch. Karius made a brilliant punch yesterday to take the ball off Carroll's head. Was decisive and confident. More of that, please.

This lad could really use some positivity in his life right now. JP is our only hope.

Klopp is spot on with his latest comments though. I said a while back in this thread Neville and the rest of those bells want nothing more than to destroy the lad's confidence because they know an organised keeper and defence would take us to the next level.

I wonder what Klopp makes of the fans turning on Karius and writing him off already? Is there a German word for hysterical-fannies?

• Upvote 1

Paul Joyce is saying that there is no way back for Mignolet, and no matter what anyone thinks of Karius at the moment, it's the right decision. Baffling how people are forgetting just how consistently bad Mignolet has been for the last few years. 

Besides maybe Courtois, I don't recently remember a keeper coming to this league and thriving right away. It's very rare and I think Klopp knows this which is why he's being so extremely protective of him and he's blasting anyone who is criticizing him.

I understand that people don't care at this point how good he was in Germany because he's been shite here, but he has quality and he will show it. 

Paul Joyce is saying that there is no way back for Mignolet, and no matter what anyone thinks of Karius at the moment, it's the right decision. Baffling how people are forgetting just how consistently bad Mignolet has been for the last few years.

Besides maybe Courtois, I don't recently remember a keeper coming to this league and thriving right away. It's very rare and I think Klopp knows this which is why he's being so extremely protective of him and he's blasting anyone who is criticizing him.

I understand that people don't care at this point how good he was in Germany because he's been shite here, but he has quality and he will show it.

There would be an argument here if he was struggling wit certain aspects of goalkeeping. But it's fucking everything, his shot stopping, the bread and butter for a keeper has genuinely been league 1 standard and his commanding of the box even worse.

Who the fuck is Paul Joyce? And clearly as Klopp is playing him in the LC, Joyce is talking shit.

Never heard of the twat. Think you misheard him talking about sakho.

Maybe if Karius plays in the eredivisie next season he can claim Brad's crown, no?

No, I didn't. It's a Times article so it has a paywall but basically:

Anfield HQ @AnfieldHQ

No way back for Mignolet - Karius will not escape further scrutiny. Klopp will not ditch Karius & will not bring in Mignolet. (Paul Joyce)

He'll keep costing us points. This isn't an apprenticeship.

And from what I'm seeing so far he is worse than Mignolet. Now he might turn it around eventually but thats no good if we end up outside the top 4.