You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

There's a strong whiff of "give a dog a bad name" to the way people judge Karius. (This is true of all keepers: you're always as shit as your worst game.) Any other keeper tips the ball onto the bar and it gets called what it is: a save. The "mistimed dive on Dzeko" was the only thing he could do, having been exposed by poor defending. The rebound that fell to Dzeko was not as simple as people claim.

It's probably fair to say he sometimes lacks concentration, but I think that's because he's thinking of what to do next. That's not necessarily a bad trait and would only improve with maturity.

Its easy to pick up on keepers mistakes and forget games where he simply caught a few crosses,punched crosses to safety and just passed the ball too defenders. Its obvious he's going to be under pressure in CL matches and a big game versus the potential champions when did become champions eventually. You can easily ignore his save from Arnautovic at Anfield or the one at home to Newcastle just before half time as it doesn't fit the argument. He definitely appears to have concentration problems despite his improvement from Jan/Feb of this year and he makes some very basic stuff like lack of footwork,not getting into the line of the ball(could be a footwork issue again) and his coaches should be picking this up during training and after match videos. At 24 he could recover and it will be interesting to see how Klopp handles him in the near future. Interesting comparison to Grobbelaar as I remember him making some shocking errors of judgement such as getting stranded for an Imre Varadi goal at Anfield in a 2-0 home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday. Grobbelaar had fantastic self confidence though and I'm not sure Karius is made of similar stuff. Moving on to potential replacements,won't Roma try to rinse us over Allison considering how pissed off they are over how they believe we got Salah on the cheap?

Salah did.

Controversial.

Some players just have really low pain barriers. See Sturridge for example.

If it was me, I'd have stayed off til half time, got a fuck load of painkillers, and tried to continue. But not everyone is able to be a fucking superhero like me.

Well there are examples of players playing on years ago with similar injuries. Gerry Byrne for us in the cup final Beckenbauer for West Germany in the World Cup semi in 1970 but he was little more than a passenger. I thought at the time Mo could have gritted his teeth and played through the pain but not being able to swing your arm would have impacted his ability to run at full tilt and maybe his balance. But what if he got a shitload of injections at half time played on for another 15 - 20 minutes and then caused more damage.

I've had concussion three times playing Gaelic football. The first two I went down, was attended by the team physio and she felt I should be replaced. Both I and the team management convinced her I was fine. I played on, and did very little for the rest of the games and felt shitty for about 5 days after. I can remember nothing about either game, not a thing. I have watched a video of one of the games and it's weird watching me play games I can't recall playing in. I was doing all the right things at restarts but was useless, timing was out, less power etc.

The 3rd time I fell on my head and was pulled from the game. I wanted to play on but wasn't allowed. I went to the doc 2 days after with a splitting headache.

Concussion is a complex area and if Karius was feeling unwell or if people around him were worried in the days after the game of course they would contact the club and he would be sent for scan.

I'm not saying he was definitely concussed but it's very posible and

if he was, there is no way he would have volunteered to leave the pitch.

I still hope he is not the club's no.1 in August.

• Upvote 5

Funny, in rugby, the medical staff seem to notice it fairly quickly......

That is a bullshit statement.

They have HIA's (head injury assessments) whereby if they feel that there is a chance that a player is concussed they can remove him from the field and perform an assessment to check if he is concussed and even then they get some wrong.

The Liverpool medical staff did not even get onto the field after the incident

As for those that think he should've brought himself off? Get a fucking grip! Like you'd voluntarily take yourself off in the Champions' League Final!

I remember being massively unsympathetic when Harry Kewell went off in Istanbul. Years later I actually met him and spoke to him about it.

He told me deciding to come off in a game like that was horrible but that he knew he wasn't able to perform to his best with the knock he had and had to put the team first. If only Karius had done the same.

He made a few clangers against Roma which resulted in the score being far closer than it should have been, vaguely remember him heading it at one point instead of catching it. I definitely feared having him between the sticks in the final.

• Upvote 3

He made a few clangers against Roma which resulted in the score being far closer than it should have been, vaguely remember him heading it at one point instead of catching it. I definitely feared having him between the sticks in the final.

Leave shit too long and it begins to stink the place out.

I remember the header as he was charging at full pelt and was either just inside and was going to be outside the box if he handled it. This was not a mistake,it was good goalkeeping and something Klopp wants him to do,as I would personally. You can easily blame him for the poor parry that led to their second or third goal but don't look for mistakes that aren't there as there are others you can correctly cite.

I remember the header as he was charging at full pelt and was either just inside and was going to be outside the box if he handled it. This was not a mistake,it was good goalkeeping and something Klopp wants him to do,as I would personally. You can easily blame him for the poor parry that led to their second or third goal but don't look for mistakes that aren't there as there are others you can correctly cite.

I disagree. It's at 2.02 in this vid, he shouldn't be running at that point if he's judging the flight of the ball as the opponent is miles away when it's lifted over the top, he heads it and it comes straight back at us. It's the 'little  things' that make a keeper shit, every keeper in the world makes spectacular mistakes from  time to time but for 80-90% of the game they can be relied upon to do the basics. This is what made David James shite, not being able to judge the flight of a ball or whether a ball was going wide or not, if you haven't got that as a keeper you've got nothing.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. It's at 2.02 in this vid, he shouldn't be running at that point if he's judging the flight of the ball as the opponent is miles away when it's lifted over the top, he heads it and it comes straight back at us. It's the 'little things' that make a keeper shit, every keeper in the world makes spectacular mistakes from time to time but for 80-90% of the game they can be relied upon to do the basics. This is what made David James shite, not being able to judge the flight of a ball or whether a ball was going wide or not, if you haven't got that as a keeper you've got nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueJWvjRzRqc

agreed on the David James bit that’s ultimately what cost Evans as Liverpool manager was keeping faith in that clown. Klopp needs to fuck Karius off before he costs him and us more games.

Think these concussion articles are coming from Karius end, trying to save his career.

Seems to me Klopp gave him the rest of the season to prove himself, and he proved himself not to be up to it.

We will sign a new goalkeeper or ill be extremely surprised.

Klopp isnt orthodox, but he is pragmatic.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear lord, anyone seen his latest Instagram video? The guys a pleb.

I really wish I didn't just watch that I didn't think it was possible for me to dislike him anymore.

With him as first choice number 1 starting for the new season we have one of the weakest keepers in the league. I'd take Pickford and his little arms everyday of the week over the clown we currently have. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If I'm a Liverpool p,Ayer seeing him lining up in goal for the West Ham game then I'm heading a delegation of players straight to the managers office. Not normally in favour of that type of thing but it would be warranted, likely to make players want to go if he's in goal.

It's so hard to know how this will go. Do the fans turn on Karius if things start going badly? Do the fans turn on Klopp if Karius starts making big mistakes?

You'd like to think that IF he starts as number 1 and the window is still open at the beginning of the season that if things start going wrong that something will be done about it.

I see people talking about if he can mentally recover from what happened. The fella doesn’t need to recover because he literally doesn’t give a flying fuck. If he’s first choice at the start of the season, he will turn up with the same arrogant attitude he’s always had. He will probably baffled at what all the fuss is about. Mignolet will be first choice by October if no keeper is signed.

Hopefully it is just the club posturing because they know any keeper’s price we go in for will go through the roof because we look desperate. If they play the game of “we are happy to keep Karius” then we hopefully won’t get ripped off. One thing I can’t seen happening though is this Alisson to Real move. Roma want silly money and he’s not that good. Real need a whole host of players before they need a keeper. Add this to the fact that they’re clearly fucking skint as well.

I think that’s why we are seeing these Alisson to Chelsea stories. Chelsea won’t be paying that sort of money either. The only place Courtois would be going is to Real but once again I can’t see them paying Chelsea for him when they can get him on a free in a year.

Eventually I think we will see Roma’s hand as the window moves on. It’s seems obvious to me that they fancy cashing in but I reckon there’s only us who would go anywhere near what they want. By anywhere near I mean 60/70%. He does seem to want to go to Real though which is understandable but it’s also something I imagine Klopp will take into account when signing someone. Is he going to be in the press every other week talking up leaving after his first season here.

If none of this happens I’d honestly play Corrigan in goal before I played this cunt again. Play Ward or Mignolet or even sign fucking Butland. We need to anything but have him starting come August.