You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

As many have alluded to, not many standout keepers available at the moment.  I would not mind getting either an experienced keeper like Samir Handanoivc to plug this position or if we want to nail the position for the long term than that young kid Lafont at Tolouse, looks like a top prospect.

Has anyone got any actual evidence that Achterberg is a shit coach or we all just basing it on that every keeper has got worse since they arrived never mind improved at all, I see it all the time on here, Twitter and Instagram that it’s all his fault and I’ve always wondered why and how anyone would know if he’s a shit coach or have I missed something about him?

You've answered your own question.

You've answered your own question.

Not really because the keepers we’ve signed haven’t exactly been top level have they? Reina went to shit fair enough but how much was that to do with Achterberg?

The rest we’ve had since have been signed from mid to lower top flight teams so they’re hard to judge. I’m genuinely asking though, if that’s all we’re basing it on then that’s a bit pathetic considering Klopp would have fucked him off ages ago if he looked at him and thought ‘This guys uselsss’ and got rid but he hasn’t. Maybe Achterberg is the problem but more than likely the problem is the keepers we sign aren’t good enough in the first place or keepers who’ll never be good enough no matter how good the coaching is or could even be a bit of both but until we sign an already established elite keeper and he goes shite within months of working with Achterberg we’ll never really know, none of us know what goes on with the keepers in training so how can we really judge if he’s a shit coach? Have any keepers who’ve ever worked with him come out and said he’s not a very good coach?

We should have got Cech 3 years ago for 10 million or whatever he was going for.

If we cannot bring in Oblak/Alison as expected given the budget constraints, is there any steady/ not a total fuck up of a keeper out there who could do a job like Cech/Van der Sar for a few years?

We should have got Cech 3 years ago for 10 million or whatever he was going for.

If we cannot bring in Oblak/Alison as expected given the budget constraints, is there any steady/ not a total fuck up of a keeper out there who could do a job like Cech/Van der Sar for a few years?

Handanovic?

Not really because the keepers we’ve signed haven’t exactly been top level have they? Reina went to shit fair enough but how much was that to do with Achterberg?

The rest we’ve had since have been signed from mid to lower top flight teams so they’re hard to judge. I’m genuinely asking though, if that’s all we’re basing it on then that’s a bit pathetic considering Klopp would have fucked him off ages ago if he looked at him and thought ‘This guys uselsss’ and got rid but he hasn’t. Maybe Achterberg is the problem but more than likely the problem is the keepers we sign aren’t good enough in the first place or keepers who’ll never be good enough no matter how good the coaching is or could even be a bit of both but until we sign an already established elite keeper and he goes shite within months of working with Achterberg we’ll never really know, none of us know what goes on with the keepers in training so how can we really judge if he’s a shit coach? Have any keepers who’ve ever worked with him come out and said he’s not a very good coach?

Of course the keepers we've signed haven't been good enough, but you'd think from that low starting place you'd be able to see some improvement.

What Karius did for the first goal was something he's done numerous times before in one variation or another.

A good goalkeeping coach doesn't just improve your keeper, Fernando Torres credited Xavi Valero with helping him predict what a keeper would do in one on one situations.

To this day I rate Torres ahead of even Suarez, Owen & Salah and level with Fowler & Rush when it came to a nailed on goal one on one.

Have you watched Cech for Arsenal? He's cost them more goals than Karius has for us this season. 

They've got a laughing stock of a second choice goalkeeper who has played ahead of him at times. 

• Upvote 1

Of course the keepers we've signed haven't been good enough, but you'd think from that low starting place you'd be able to see some improvement.

What Karius did for the first goal was something he's done numerous times before in one variation or another.

A good goalkeeping coach doesn't just improve your keeper, Fernando Torres credited Xavi Valero with helping him predict what a keeper would do in one on one situations.

To this day I rate Torres ahead of even Suarez, Owen & Salah and level with Fowler & Rush when it came to a nailed on goal one on one.

I agree that there should be some sort of improvement and at times we have seen improvements in both Mignolet and Karius to the point where people start saying we don’t need a new keeper now etc then bang they revert to type and make the same basic mistakes over and over again.

I’m not for one second saying it’s not on the coaching because I don’t know if it is or isn’t I just think that people are blaming him without being privy to what goes on on the training field.

We as a club have become a lot less prone to leaks and training ground rumours since Klopp came in so it’s hard to know what players etc think of certain training methods. During Rodgers time here we’d have had a definitive answer by now whether he was a good coach or not because “sources close to the club” would have slagged him off in the papers somewhere.

Coaching does not matter if they cannot do the basics. Ie not throw the ball to the opposition striker.

Correct. If you watch Karius half the time he doesn't even dive or looks baffled when the ball comes anywhere near him. His judgment is all fucked up. I said a while back be reminds me of an outfield player who's been told to play in goal and is basically shitting himself for the entire match.
  • Upvote 2

The more i think about it, the more i think we will keep him.  He may even be kept and loaned out at some point.

He has the attributes to be a very good goalkeeper, but needs to work on the mental side of the game, depending on how he reacts to what has happened in the next few weeks, it could be the making of him.

People forget he is 24 years old and his peak should be a few years away yet.

The more i think about it, the more i think we will keep him.  He may even be kept and loaned out at some point.

He has the attributes to be a very good goalkeeper, but needs to work on the mental side of the game, depending on how he reacts to what has happened in the next few weeks, it could be the making of him.

Sell him and stick a buy back clause in his contract if the club thinks he'll still turn out a good keeper.

Personally I can see him playing in a mid German side again soon and Mignolet signing for a championship club.

Klopps signing's going through them have mostly been a success which is really impressive all apart from Karius he's not good enough and if he's still with us next season will fuck things up again.

I've no doubt he has qualities and is young but he is a mental weakling.

Always has been. Fair enough we all make mistakes but top players get on with it. You cannot learn that winners mentality. You have it or you don't. Lovren falls into the same category.

He is the same age as Oblak and Allison, the two keepers people are constantly mentioning - same age as Butland - the one keeper linked in England -- and older than Donnaruma - the one we might actually be able to get.

He is the same age as Oblak and Allison, the two keepers people are constantly mentioning - same age as Butland - the one keeper linked in England -- and older than Donnaruma - the one we might actually be able to get.

Oblak is the one keeper i would go all out to sign, the rest im not sold on at all. 

And ive watched a fair bit of Milan this year and Donnarumma is a long way from being the finished article

• Upvote 1

Correct. If you watch Karius half the time he doesn't even dive or looks baffled when the ball comes anywhere near him. His judgment is all fucked up. I said a while back be reminds me of an outfield player who's been told to play in goal and is basically shitting himself for the entire match.

Agree and whats with this compulsion to two fist punch every ball. Catch the fucking thing or palm it down then catch it, 

@Jay86

They were not shit when we signed them. Reina was verging on world class. Karius was the 3rd best goalkeeper in the Bundesliga (at 22 years old) and Mignolet and Begovic were considered the best goalkeepers outside the top 6, by some distance.

He's ruined every keeper he's worked with. He's ruined every one of their save percentages as well (based on before and after working with him). He was a 'never was' as a keeper anyway. A lower league clogger. Watch his training sessions and then compare them to the lowest level teams in La Liga like Levante and Deportivo and you'll see why he's awful.

Donnarumma? So he'd be forgiven by supporters for a Coppa final type effort?

What colour is the sky in some of your worlds? Fucking hell.

If people can forgive Karius for those mistakes in a Champions League final they can forgive a couple of mistakes in a domestic final from a 19 year old kid. Lets not forget he won them the Super Cup almost single handedly at 17 years old. 

@Jay86

They were not shit when we signed them. Reina was verging on world class. Karius was the 3rd best goalkeeper in the Bundesliga (at 22 years old) and Mignolet and Begovic were considered the best goalkeepers outside the top 6, by some distance.

He's ruined every keeper he's worked with. He's ruined every one of their save percentages as well (based on before and after working with him). He was a 'never was' as a keeper anyway. A lower league clogger. Watch his training sessions and then compare them to the lowest level teams in La Liga like Levante and Deportivo and you'll see why he's awful.

If this is true as you say why do the pros who work with him not flag it up?

Got to be more to it than conventional rumour.

If people can forgive Karius for those mistakes in a Champions League final they can forgive a couple of mistakes in a domestic final from a 19 year old kid. Lets not forget he won them the Super Cup almost single handedly at 17 years old.

I've seen lots of sympathy with the qualifier that he never plays for the club again.