You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

He hasn’t been terrible for 5 years Boss that just isn’t true. He’s had long periods of being solid followed by a few calamities and it would go around in circles. He made a few Lazarus-esque comebacks but they were generally false dawns. 

Who do you think is a terrible keeper then, so we can draw some comparisons?

Mignolet was easily in the bottom half of starting keepers in the league, probably even in the 15-20 range. And that was for a good 4-5 years. It's hard to compare him with say, West Ham's goal keepers over a period of time because he faced far less shots and had the ball at his feet more than they did, but it was easy to see that he was absolute garbage in pretty much every facet. 

Karius was a disaster and royally screwed us in our biggest game in a decade but he's at least been binned which means he's not subjected me to years and years and years of brain numbing incompetence like Mignolet has. 

Who do you think is a terrible keeper then, so we can draw some comparisons?

He had terrible games and moments for the club. I’m saying he wasn’t terrible for 5 years. He got player of the year for us one season. He had long periods of being solid and I reckon under a more defensive minded manager where he was protected from close range shots with a low block of defenders he would have looked as good as most top keepers in the league barring De Gea.

The fact is we have played a type of football since the day he came in where he isn’t protected in that manner but he also doesn’t face countless speculative shots to pad his numbers like the lower half team does.

I don’t know what the point in your question is because it’s all relative in terms of the team they’re playing for and what’s expected. In terms of premier league playing keepers I’d class Bogdan as a terrible keeper. Keepers like Brad Jones are not far off it either. You’ve got the class above them though who have actually played regularly like Forster or Butland who are poor. Mignolet is a class above all of them. There’s a reason we signed him and a reason Klopp stuck with him. He thought he could iron out the mistakes because he showed over extended periods he was good enough and mentally strong enough to cope with playing for us.

He couldn’t stop those mistakes though and that’s why he’s been replaced. He hasn’t been replaced because he was terrible for 5 years. That’s just not true.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mignolet was easily in the bottom half of starting keepers in the league, probably even in the 15-20 range. And that was for a good 4-5 years. It's hard to compare him with say, West Ham's goal keepers over a period of time because he faced far less shots and had the ball at his feet more than they did, but it was easy to see that he was absolute garbage in pretty much every facet. 

Karius was a disaster and royally screwed us in our biggest game in a decade but he's at least been binned which means he's not subjected me to years and years and years of brain numbing incompetence like Mignolet has. 

No, I am not even going to go there.

He had terrible games and moments for the club. I’m saying he wasn’t terrible for 5 years. He got player of the year for us one season. He had long periods of being solid and I reckon under a more defensive minded manager where he was protected from close range shots with a low block of defenders he would have looked as good as most top keepers in the league barring De Gea.

The fact is we have played a type of football since the day he came in where he isn’t protected in that manner but he also doesn’t face countless speculative shots to pad his numbers like the lower half team does.

I don’t know what the point in your question is because it’s all relative in terms of the team they’re playing for and what’s expected. In terms of premier league playing keepers I’d class Bogdan as a terrible keeper. Keepers like Brad Jones are not far off it either. You’ve got the class above them though who have actually played regularly like Forster or Butland who are poor. Mignolet is a class above all of them. There’s a reason we signed him and a reason Klopp stuck with him. He thought he could iron out the mistakes because he showed over extended periods he was good enough and mentally strong enough to cope with playing for us.

He couldn’t stop those mistakes though and that’s why he’s been replaced. He hasn’t been replaced because he was terrible for 5 years. That’s just not true.

Player of the year?! When?

Forster is bobbins, fair enough, but Forster had a far higher save percentage last season than Mignolet (Forster 69%), and so did Butland (67%). Mignolet is the second worst first team keeper in the league (59%). Joe Hart is the only one worse, and in fairness to Joe Hart he was once a world class goalkeeper.

Mignolet is the only keeper who's been consistently bottom 5 every season (after his first at the club). He's dreadful, statistically and with the eye test. He's a class above absolutely nobody in the Premier League. Heurelho Gomes shits on him from a great height. That's how bad he is.

• Upvote 1

In 2015.

You either haven’t read my post or aren’t bothering to address the points because it pulls holes in your pre recorded post. It’s obvious now why you were asking the question because you were going to go to these save percentage stats which don’t tell you anything because hardly any other team in the league plays the way we do and with the standard of defence that we had.

Mignolet wasn’t good last season which is why is he was dropped. In previous years the situation was different to any of the keepers in the league. Keepers at smaller teams get padded stats because teams like us in trying to break them down will take more speculative shots. Chances we concede tend to be clear cut chances. Posting those stats does not tell us anything about comparing the keepers. It’s complete nonsense.

As I said before had Mignolet been playing for a smaller his stats would be better because he would be saving those shots Forster saves and more and if he was at City he would have had a better team in front of him meaning he wouldn’t be exposed as much as he was here. I’m not saying he’s great or he’s the answer. He just isn’t a terrible keeper and people’s views on him are skewed because of the specific way lots of our fans only seem to watch us play and can’t seen to put context into players performances.

In 2015.

You either haven’t read my post or aren’t bothering to address the points because it pulls holes in your pre recorded post. It’s obvious now why you were asking the question because you were going to go to these save percentage stats which don’t tell you anything because hardly any other team in the league plays the way we do and with the standard of defence that we had.

Mignolet wasn’t good last season which is why is he was dropped. In previous years the situation was different to any of the keepers in the league. Keepers at smaller teams get padded stats because teams like us in trying to break them down will take more speculative shots. Chances we concede tend to be clear cut chances. Posting those stats does not tell us anything about comparing the keepers. It’s complete nonsense.

As I said before had Mignolet been playing for a smaller his stats would be better because he would be saving those shots Forster saves and more and if he was at City he would have had a better team in front of him meaning he wouldn’t be exposed as much as he was here. I’m not saying he’s great or he’s the answer. He just isn’t a terrible keeper and people’s views on him are skewed because of the specific way lots of our fans only seem to watch us play and can’t seen to put context into players performances.

In 2014 it was Suarez. In 2015 it was Coutinho. Where are you getting player of the year for Mignolet from? He was dropped by Rogers and replaced by Brad Jones at one stage in December 2014 by the way and actually only for his place back when Jones was injured at Burnley.

I actually don’t disagree with you about the quality of shots he was facing though. It badly affected his save percentage and there are expected goal stats which show he suffered due to it.

It was the award voted for by the former players. I thought that was the actual award but obviously not! The point still stands like. He obviously did well enough for the ex players to vote for him and they aren’t exactly a forgiving bunch so he can’t have done too badly that season considering the players that were here.

In 2015.

Seriously though, do you think we're the only team in the league that play that way? All the top 6 teams come up against low block sides and have to apply the same tactics. They play a high line in these games, even Mourinho (when he's chasing a game). That's the best way to play 10 men behind the ball. Trap them in their own half - which means you open yourself up on the counter.

Mignolet concedes a goal literally every save he makes. If the opponent had 4 shots on target, statistically they'd score at least 2 goals from them. That's absurd. You can say 'clear cut chances' and all that, but we hardly ever concede from one on ones. It's almost always set pieces and some bundled attempt at a save. They're sloppy goals.

Face it, he's just not a good keeper. He's been dropped many times by both Rodgers and Klopp. Dropped for Brad Jones for gods sake. He stylistically doesn't fit us.

I disagree, he doesn't have the right mentality. He's not a commanding or vocal presence. He's not a keeper that can do nothing for 70 minutes and then pull out a big save when we need him. He's the opposite. A relegation level keeper, for a team that plays 10 men behind the ball, that can pull off some MOTD saves when he's being peppered with speculative shots. That's exactly what he is - and just like what Spurs learned when they signed Gomes under Commoli - signing a keeper for his save stats at a lower club doesn't work when your team plays a completely different way. 

So you're right in that sense, but that's also why Karius is better for us. Not just in his stats, but because he can play ball to feet, he's quick off his line and he's more suited to an offensive minded team than Mignolet.

• Upvote 3

Just seen it. Demonstrating that outstanding decision making that characterised his sadly not brief enough career with us.

I sure hope we put a "No Backs" clause in that contract.

He has to play over 50% of the matches he is eligible to play in for them to have to sign him permanently. If they decide he is shite, they stop playing him and he has to come back.

He has to play over 50% of the matches he is eligible to play in for them to have to sign him permanently. If they decide he is shite, they stop playing him and he has to come back.

Based in the fact they must have seen the CL final I think its safe to day they knew he was pants before they took him and its a no risk deal .