You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Mate, it's got nothing to do with best fans in the world. Our fans aren't going to be the problem here. It's opposition fans and, by the looks of it, opposition players and the media.

A few of us warned that he was going to be under pressure from day one, but even I didn't think it'd start in a pre-season friendly, yet it has.

He's going to have opposition fans taking the piss in the stadium and on social media. He's going to have opposition players saying things to him to unsettle him on the pitch. And the media are clearly going to be all over every mistake, even in an innocuous friendly.

If I thought he was mentally able to cope with it I'd say give him a chance. But I don't think he is. Quite the opposite. Swapping him out isn't being mean, it's a kindness. It's sparing him the abuse and humiliation.

Indeed, if our fans aren't the problem and everyone else's are... surely his football career's over then, isn't it?

Because I think they have the social inter web and pay tv thing everywhere else too, don't they?  Who knows who may have watched the European Cup Final.  Thousands of people even.

My 10yo son and all his mates, way over here in Australia, know most players at Real Madrid, Rubin Kazan, Galatasaray, Standard Liege, Dinamo Zagreb et al. 

And if they do, so do more experienced, monied uber-fans, especially those who are enthusiastic enough to go to games.

Where will Karius hide from this ridicule?

Off a bridge perhaps.

I don't want Karius to fail or to see him struggle, I just don't want to see him in goal for the simple reason that he not good enough. He's never looked liked being good enough from the moment he made is debut and no amount of support or perseverance with him is going to change that.

Klopp's not stupid he sees what we see the problem is that it's now a massive climb down from here to drop him and give the shirt back to Mig...which he absolutely needs to do btw if we're genuinely not planning on signing anybody.

It's almost as if the position of Goalkeeper at Liverpool this last 3/4 years has just become completely untenable.

Under no circumstances should mignolet ever play for the club again. Just as error prone as Karius and prevents fuck all goals from happening. There’s nothing good to say about him at all.

Under no circumstances should mignolet ever play for the club again. Just as error prone as Karius and prevents fuck all goals from happening. There’s nothing good to say about him at all.

His best spell came when Karius was threatening to take his place but it would end up as poor goalkeeper tennis watching both players take the shirt off each other.

I feel sorry for Karius and I actually think it’d be cruel to play him from now on. His head has completely gone and he needs a fresh start.

I understand they're recruiting astronauts for a one-way trip to Mars. Karius could finally lay claim to being the best goalkeeper on the planet, that he already is in his head (and his Instagram).

Is there a "better than decent chance"? Really?

He's done it once in a competitive match and once in a pre-season friendly. I'll bet a pound to a pinch of shit that the same could be said of Allison, Oblak, Neuer, De Gea, etc.

People here are carrying on as if those two errors in the Champions League final are typical of what we see 10 times in every game. That's just nonsense.

It's a big ask for him to be able to come back, psychologically, from those CL errors. Maybe he will be able to do it; maybe he won't. Klopp will know better than anyone round here what Karius's chances are. It just sticks in my craw to see people round here piling into the lad, refusing to give him a chance and willing him to fail. It's the exact opposite of what supporters do.

This.

Yep, what was Henderson having a go at him for vs Roma? He fucks up basics but is capable of world class saves, I think its an attitude problem and I think the gk coach is a liability too as he should of sorted the basic mistakes long ago..

Not even sure about that bit. From memory, there's probably only the Newcastle save and maybe the blueshite one that I would put into that category. Lloris and Courtois have made more world-class saves in this world cup alone than Karius has made in his two seasons here. His good isn't even that good. Even without the ridiculous mistakes, the gap in quality between Karius and the likes of De Gea, Courtois, Lloris, Ederson etc... is bigger than we can afford if we have any sort of title ambition.

Not even sure about that bit. From memory, there's probably only the Newcastle save and maybe the blueshite one that I would put into that category. Lloris and Courtois have made more world-class saves in this world cup alone than Karius has made in his two seasons here. His good isn't even that good. Even without the ridiculous mistakes, the gap in quality between Karius and the likes of De Gea, Courtois, Lloris, Ederson etc... is bigger than we can afford if we have any sort of title ambition.

We don't and haven't for many a year.

• Downvote 1

*If* we really are not planning on signing a new GK then I personally would feel better if Mig is starting the new season in the shirt over Karius.

*If* we really are not planning on signing a new GK then I personally would feel better if Mig is starting the new season in the shirt over Karius.

I’m sure that will last when you get to watch Mignolet rooted to his line, failing to keep out anything not hit right at him and still throwing the ball into the net as often as Karius, again.

• Upvote 1

Karius is going to get abuse, mocking at every opportunity by opposition fans and Liverpool fans are going to have a nervous energy, he will be sarcastically applauded for simple saves and groaned at constantly for minor mistakes or near misses. I just don't see how it's good for the team or the lad himself if he remains number 1.