You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Mane hit the post - the game was still on.

I knew somebody would mention that but it was a lone cry in the wind,a mere housebrick against the castle gates. Once the second goal went in it drained both the crowd and the players. We weren't going to score and it was brief return to the Europa final mentality and hopefully why Klopp is getting busy in the transfer market this summer. A comeback was theoretically still on but realistically unlikely with only Mane looking like he wanted to win at all costs.

Of course somebody would mention what actually happened - you had packed it in. Not us.

The stadium was almost silent and the players heads had dropped and it was easy to see. I'm not defending Karius here but I'm glad to see Klopp recognising that he wasn't the only one at fault.

Anyway,I'm not arsed as its gone and there's no changing the past just the future and I look forward to next season and Klopp's new signings getting us closer to our rivals.

Anyone who has actually watched Karius since he regained his place would know he's not shite. With Mignolet, Jones and Bogdan, we've seen what shite really is. Karius is 10 times the keeper any of that lot is. I'm not saying he's great, but he's definitely good enough for any of the Premier League's "big six" clubs.

Man City 2nd leg - costs us the first goal after stupid throw to VVD who was signalling for him to kick it up the field

Man City 2nd leg - poor punch results in goal, saved by wrong offside decision

Roma 1st leg - fluffs simple save from distance, very lucky after rebound onto cross bar

Roma 2nd leg - should have been sent off for mistimed dive on Dzeko, saved by wrong offside

Roma 2nd leg - fails to push relatively simple save to safety, Dzeko scores rebound

Add the final and that's 7 major errors in the space of 8 weeks - and these are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

People have been grading this guy on a curve because of his own/Mignolets' dismal pre-New Year standards. He has never been close to top 6 standard. He's made some good saves - to be fair - but lacks the concentration & composure of a top keeper.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

A 6000 mile roundtrip (west coast to east coast and back) because he wasn't feeling great?! Excluding Kiev to Liverpool and onward to California.

A competent GP can diagnose concussion...

I'm sure you know this yourself but he didn't go on vacation to have medical tests. He went on vacation to get the fuck away from football and Liverpool probably hoping this shit blew over a bit, but at the least for his own personal mental health. As far as releasing the medical opinion goes, it's common for that to happen with athletes, but again I'm sure you're aware. I'm sure the club, the player, and his agent all thought of it as a good idea but I think they all would've thought that whether he made the mistakes or not. I also think it's worth mentioning that the consent rule only really applies to medical professionals, if some other source gets a hold of them releasing them without the patient's consent is a cunts trick but there's really nothing illegal about it, it's just an ethical issue. Maybe it's different in the UK, but again the way around that is the old "anonymous source" line.

As far as those saying he should've made a meal of Ramos elbowing him, he did to an extent. He rolled on the ground clutching as his head/face and then when the game wasn't stopped got up, looked at the nearest official and motioned that he'd been twatted in the head. Imagine he stayed down "making a meal of it" and those cunts scored. The officials, having not stopped play before, would more than likely have allowed it, and everyone would be having a bitch about that instead. I'm not really sure how the physios can be blamed either in this instance as it happened after halftime and play wasn't stopped for them to get a chance to look at him. The lack of action from the match officials are ultimately the problem in that regard.

Believing he's not good enough regardless is one thing however, and I'm perfectly fine with those who hold that opinion. It's the extra bullshit such as downplaying this information and basically insinuating that he's lying about it through a doctor that I have an issue with. Personally I do think Klopp would bring in the right Goalkeeper for the right price. The right price being the one that allows him to address the positions he's more worried about as well. So if Klopp is assured that there is money for his targets for the outfield as well as for Oblak or Alisson then I expect us to make a bid. If not then I expect Karius to be our number 1. If he fucks up enough again I guess we might get to see if Danny Ward lives up to his mythology.

• Upvote 1

I think we'll pay whatever it takes for Alisson. I don't see any scenario where Klopp keeps Karius #1, even if it's just to take him out of the spotlight and not because he thinks he's a lost cause, although he might also think that.

And Mignolet and Ward are for sure going as Klopp has shown no faith in them. That means the only option is that we pay big for the one guy we want, as we did with VvD. 

I think we're on the same page 3 stacks, and I'd certainly be happy with that I just don't see it as inevitable like you seem to. I'd prefer Oblak to Alisson though, not because I've really seen either play much outside of youtube highlights and our games against the latter, but because I think Alisson is one of those who wants to play for one of the top Spanish sides at some point. That's not to say Oblak doesn't but from some reports Alisson is already making the eyes at Madrid.

Despite that though I do think Alisson is the more likely of the two for us to get.

Of course somebody would mention what actually happened - you had packed it in. Not us.

Yes, judging by the way my son screamed and then cried when that Mane shot hit the post - there was still anguished hope.

In fact, I'd probably given up but my 10-year-old (and Mane) reminded me there was a European Cup Final still in the balance.

I'd say the result is probably confirmed now though.

Did Real win?  I might ask Tony Moanero, next week.

Man City 2nd leg - costs us the first goal after stupid throw to VVD who was signalling for him to kick it up the field

Roma 1st leg - fluffs simple save from distance, very lucky after rebound onto cross bar

Roma 2nd leg - should have been sent off for mistimed dive on Dzeko, saved by wrong offside

Roma 2nd leg - fails to push relatively simple save to safety, Dzeko scores rebound

Add the final and that's 7 major errors in the space of 8 weeks - and these are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

People have been grading this guy on a curve because of his own/Mignolets' dismal pre-New Year standards. He has never been close to top 6 standard. He's made some good saves - to be fair - but lacks the concentration & composure of a top keeper.

There's a strong whiff of "give a dog a bad name" to the way people judge Karius. (This is true of all keepers: you're always as shit as your worst game.) Any other keeper tips the ball onto the bar and it gets called what it is: a save. The "mistimed dive on Dzeko" was the only thing he could do, having been exposed by poor defending. The rebound that fell to Dzeko was not as simple as people claim.

It's probably fair to say he sometimes lacks concentration, but I think that's because he's thinking of what to do next. That's not necessarily a bad trait and would only improve with maturity.

Angry has a point... he is only 24. 

No one can say with certainty that he isn't on an upward spiral.

Grobelaar was dogshit in his first 4 months of first team football for us, culminating in a calamitous game at Anfield against Man City at the end of 1981, when they were shit.  

Interestingly, he was 24 then.  

5 months later, he had a League title medal.

And again a year later, and again a year later (including a European Cup).

And again in 1986 and again in 1988 and again in 1990.

He has improved no doubt, since coming into the team, and he had made some decent saves. All keepers have an error in them, and Karius is more than capable of a brainfart. We do need to upgrade the position as priority. If Karius is the reserve keeper, I dont have too much of an issue with that.

Nailed it for me this. Repped.