You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Guest Alex_K

Interesting comments from Hamann. re: the next keeper -- a lot of the sentiment seems to be "all or nothing". Its as if the only way to improve on a Danny Ings type player, say, is by bringing in Neymar or Griezmann. Karius and Mignolet have both been so bad that there should be incremental improvements available out there without needing to go for one of the top 5 keepers in the world. Not to say that isn't the ideal approach -- but failing that, there must be better, pragmatic alternatives to these two.

I still have to take an extra breath when i think about what he did.

Still processing. Been staring in to space and shaking my head on odd occasions since.

Imagine how the rest of the side feel?

What an absolute waste. Fucking hell.....

No way he can walk back in to that company.

mate, it's only a game.  get over yourself.

• Upvote 3

mate, it's only a game.  get over yourself.

Agreed. If it’s affecting you that bad then maybe find something else to focus on in life. Staring into space etc... this long after the result then that’s not good for your health.

Interesting comments from Hamann. re: the next keeper -- a lot of the sentiment seems to be "all or nothing". Its as if the only way to improve on a Danny Ings type player, say, is by bringing in Neymar or Griezmann. Karius and Mignolet have both been so bad that there should be incremental improvements available out there without needing to go for one of the top 5 keepers in the world. Not to say that isn't the ideal approach -- but failing that, there must be better, pragmatic alternatives to these two.

Yeah agree with that, we're starting from zero as far as I'm concerned, there must be at least two dozen keepers in Europe who'd be 'an' improvement.

At the final whistle on Saturday I felt genuinely sorry for him on a human level but the whole thing just didn't surprise me and as much as anything I was annoyed he was out there in the first place.  He should never have found himself at a club as big as Liverpool as he just doesn't have the ability or the temperament.

I think I said somewhere earlier in this thread that he's the worst number one I've ever seen us have and would cost us big at some point.  It's just a shame it had to be in a match this big.

The truth is his improvement has been mainly based around making an occasional save but he's still been suspect.  In this time, he got lucky with some errors (Kolarov's shot at Anfield, bringing down Dzeko in Rome, punching against Milner at City) and where his errors were punished they didn't affect the result until now (the penalty at Palace, the parry to Dzeko in Rome, the throw to Van Dijk at City).

I've only just watched the goals back now and I even think he could have done better with Bale's first.  I might be in a minority on that and it's obviously not as horrendous as the other two but I think the only reason he doesn't save it is because he jumps before Bale kicks it and can't set himself as a result.  If you see how long the ball is in the air for and how close he is before he pulls his hands away for some reason then you see that a top keeper on his toes takes a step and saves it.  Karius can't because of the jump.  It was bad technique.

At the final whistle on Saturday I felt genuinely sorry for him on a human level but the whole thing just didn't surprise me and as much as anything I was annoyed he was out there in the first place.  He should never have found himself at a club as big as Liverpool as he just doesn't have the ability or the temperament.

I think I said somewhere earlier in this thread that he's the worst number one I've ever seen us have and would cost us big at some point.  It's just a shame it had to be in a match this big.

The truth is his improvement has been mainly based around making an occasional save but he's still been suspect.  In this time, he got lucky with some errors (Kolarov's shot at Anfield, bringing down Dzeko in Rome, punching against Milner at City) and where his errors were punished they didn't affect the result until now (the penalty at Palace, the parry to Dzeko in Rome, the throw to Van Dijk at City).

I've only just watched the goals back now and I even think he could have done better with Bale's first.  I might be in a minority on that and it's obviously not as horrendous as the other two but I think the only reason he doesn't save it is because he jumps before Bale kicks it and can't set himself as a result.  If you see how long the ball is in the air for and how close he is before he pulls his hands away for some reason then you see that a top keeper on his toes takes a step and saves it.  Karius can't because of the jump.  It was bad technique.

Dont forget kicking it off Milners head in Rome.

The way he pulls his hands away mid dive is something that has pissed me off all season - I cannot see what the possible benefit is. And I have to say, as brilliant as Bale's goal was, I did think the same as you.

The way he pulls his hands away mid dive is something that has pissed me off all season - I cannot see what the possible benefit is. And I have to say, as brilliant as Bale's goal was, I did think the same as you.

De Gea would have saved that. Brilliant technique by Bale but not the unstoppable goal some have been claiming. 

Have not heard De Gea Neuer Buffon et al say they would have stopped Bales overhead goal. In fact Buffon was equally flatfooted for Ronnies sorry Ronaldos effort in the Juventus 1st leg.

Because that’s what keepers do after goals are conceded in games they weren’t playing. They release a statement saying i would have saved that. Jesus Christ.

• Upvote 1

Because that’s what keepers do after goals are conceded in games they weren’t playing. They release a statement saying i would have saved that. Jesus Christ.

Jesus wept. Love it how some people take posst so literally. Christ no one is allowed to make a throw away comment here unless it is from the chosen few.

We don't want to marginally improve or make do.  We want to win the title and cl every year!  We should sign the best there is.  We have enough money and there is no reason not to.  Pay Oblak's release, pay Roma 70 mil - I don't care.

We have been conditioned to accept mediocrity and it has to stop.  We are never going to catch City unless we sign the best.

We need a De Gea, we need that extra 10-15 points, we need a keeper that makes forwards shit it.  We need to build an aura around us and there can be no weak links.  We only have a few players left that cause panic and we are on the way to upgrading them.  Players that cause the crowd to panic cause issues too as it transmits to the players.

If Klopp shows faith with players that clearly don't have what it takes, then that is on him, but 2 european finals have been lost by showing faith in players that the whole world knows are not good enough.  Let's upgrade, improve the bench and keep pushing on.

• Upvote 1

Jesus wept. Love it how some people take posst so literally. Christ no one is allowed to make a throw away comment here unless it is from the chosen few.

Ewe shud have a reed up on wot a forum is four matte, it’s abowut an eksxhange Of veews.