You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Wonder how Klopp will deal with Karius now. I don’t think there’s a better manager out there who’ll be able to manage him going forward. Klopps man management skills are obviously second to non and this lad his going to need some of that.

Agreed. I do not think Jurgen is suddenly going to bomb him out of the club. Look what he did with Moreno after the EL Final.

Unless he wants to leave immediately and sort his head out elsewhere I am guessing Jurgen will likely just keep him in the background and play him in the LC to rebuild his confidence.

I don’t think so either but there will be a transitional period were he’s back at training etc while we sell him on.

The nature of the first mistake and then the second on top and in a game of that magnitude - we are talking about a unique case here - might sound harsh but only way for me is out the door as quickly as possible.

Maybe a loan so it is not seen as a public execution and then he leaves quietly at end of loan period/when contract runs out.

Neither he or the club can risk the shite storm/damage that would follow future errors.

Keeping him even on bench just invites constant scrutiny and questions about it all/how he is doing and god forbid he has to then come into side - the pressure and spotlight would be crazy.

Jib.

The nature of the first mistake and then the second on top and in a game of that magnitude - we are talking about a unique case here - might sound harsh but only way for me is out the door as quickly as possible.

Maybe a loan so it is not seen as a public execution and then he leaves quietly at end of loan period/when contract runs out.

Neither he or the club can risk the shite storm/damage that would follow future errors.

Ye mate, maybe that’s the best action to take. Maybe he’d want that as well. Like ripping a plaster off. He might respond better to a brand new start as quick as possible. As you say, this is a unique case due to the magnitude of the blunders.

Ye mate, maybe that’s the best action to take. Maybe he’d want that as well. Like ripping a plaster off. He might respond better to a brand new start as quick as possible. As you say, this is a unique case due to the magnitude of the blunders.

I don't wish the lad any ill - he didn't do what he did on purpose of course. But he did do what he did because he has a problem with his focus, a problem with his temperament and decision making and fundamental flaws in his technique.

We need better and as we both say after such errors in such a game he has proven to me beyond doubt that he is not the answer for us.

I would be surprised personally if Klopp perseveres with him....I also think if he does he is taking a massive gamble that if it (as is likely) backfires will leave a real mess

• Upvote 1

Imagine the shitstorm if he’s still here along with Mignolet at the start of the season and we haven’t signed a new keeper. It’s plausible especially considering the laughable amounts of money that are being quoted for the keepers we are rumoured to be interested in.

What I'm not sure about in this story is who is receiving the Birthday Gift?

The president of Italian third-tier side Rimini FC has offered to take Liverpool keeper Loris Karius on a year-long loan deal as a gift for his birthday, which is 22 June, so the 24-year-old German can "rediscover calm and his self-belief" after his Champions League final disaster.

Edit: Just seen the quote in the link that it's for Karius' Birthday Gift. What a thoughtful man.

What I'm not sure about in this story is who is receiving the Birthday Gift?

The president of Italian third-tier side Rimini FC has offered to take Liverpool keeper Loris Karius on a year-long loan deal as a gift for his birthday, which is 22 June, so the 24-year-old German can "rediscover calm and his self-belief" after his Champions League final disaster.

Edit: Just seen the quote in the link that it's for Karius' Birthday Gift. What a thoughtful man.

He'll probably throw it back at them.

• Upvote 1

the laughable amounts of money that are being quoted for the keepers 

The thing is though, we should get 10 years out of a top keeper. Maybe more.

If he ends up being a world beater, or even very good and wants to move on the fee will be re-couped and probably increase.

Look at the way top teams deal with this position:

Juve -- record fee for Buffon - what, 17 years

Bayern  - at the time record fee for Kahn, then top money on Neuer -- 25 years of service between those two with Neuer probably around for another 3 or 4 at least

Real - developed Casillas - 18 years

Barca -- the same with Valdes - a dozen years

Manure - top money on De Gea - they will get more if they sell in the next few years

I don't wish the lad any ill - he didn't do what he did on purpose of course. But he did do what he did because he has a problem with his focus, a problem with his temperament and decision making and fundamental flaws in his technique.

We need better and as we both say after such errors in such a game he has proven to me beyond doubt that he is not the answer for us.

I would be surprised personally if Klopp perseveres with him....I also think if he does he is taking a massive gamble that if it (as is likely) backfires will leave a real mess

I just don't see how the rest of them will take him seriously any more. How he can walk back in to Melwood.

He needs a "fresh challenge" as soon as possible.

I just don't see how the rest of them will take him seriously any more. How he can walk back in to Melwood.

He needs a "fresh challenge" as soon as possible.

The scrutiny will be relentless and in itself become a big problem if he isn't moved on ASAP.

I said at the time, "just get down the fucking tunnel", though i realise he had to stay at ground level for the presentation. Hard to know what else he could have done really.

Shat himself?

Would have capped a top top night for the lad.

The thing is though, we should get 10 years out of a top keeper. Maybe more.

If he ends up being a world beater, or even very good and wants to move on the fee will be re-couped and probably increase.

Look at the way top teams deal with this position:

Juve -- record fee for Buffon - what, 17 years

Bayern - at the time record fee for Kahn, then top money on Neuer -- 25 years of service between those two with Neuer probably around for another 3 or 4 at least

Real - developed Casillas - 18 years

Barca -- the same with Valdes - a dozen years

Manure - top money on De Gea - they will get more if they sell in the next few years

I’ve seen a few people say this now. There’s absolutely no guarantee that paying nearly 100m for Oblak or one of the lads in Italy means we’ve got a keeper for 10 years. They could come here and crumble and then you’ve spent silly money on a keeper and need to do it again for another. You’ve reeled off some examples which literally mean nothing. In fact some of the stuff you’ve put is complete bollocks. “Top money on De Gea - they will get more when they sell.” Okay then lets drop 90m on Oblak we will get a few good years out of him and sell for 300m. “Developed Casillas” honestly what the fuck does this even mean? They’re all clubs that aren’t in the position we are and some of the examples date back over 20 years.

Buffon is really the only relatively good example but even then he was seen as one of the best keepers in the world when they paid that money. The 3 linked with us aren’t at that level in my opinion. They might be in the long run.

The reason why it’s silly money is because it’s too much of a risk. When you look at the money paid for keepers it’s just not worth the risk. Just saying well we could have him for 10 years isn’t a good enough reason because it’s talking as though it’s a guarantee.

I’ve seen a few people say this now. There’s absolutely no guarantee that paying nearly 100m for Oblak or one of the lads in Italy means we’ve got a keeper for 10 years. They could come here and crumble and then you’ve spent silly money on a keeper and need to do it again for another. You’ve reeled off some examples which literally mean nothing. In fact some of the stuff you’ve put is complete bollocks. “Top money on De Gea - they will get more when they sell.” Okay then lets drop 90m on Oblak we will get a few good years out of him and sell for 300m. “Developed Casillas” honestly what the fuck does this even mean? They’re all clubs that aren’t in the position we are and some of the examples date back over 20 years.

Buffon is really the only relatively good example but even then he was seen as one of the best keepers in the world when they paid that money. The 3 linked with us aren’t at that level in my opinion. They might be in the long run.

The reason why it’s silly money is because it’s too much of a risk. When you look at the money paid for keepers it’s just not worth the risk. Just saying well we could have him for 10 years isn’t a good enough reason because it’s talking as though it’s a guarantee.

Oblak is a on par with every top keeper in the world, in fact right now I’d say only De Gea is better, I haven’t seen enough of Allison to judge him but he looks pretty good from what I have seen.

What Bayern has done over near 30 years is not bollocks pal.

The fact that three of those keepers were record fees at the time isn't either.

Never was it said that if we pay 90 we would get 300.

They will get more for DeGea ( a UK record fee at the time if they sell).

There is no guarantee for anything -- there is a trend that if you go after the best they tend to stay the best.

Notice how there are no "bought for 8 mil now the best"?

So you either have the ability to grow your own - or you buy the top shelf.

There is no in between with keepers.

Well, Lloris and Courtois maybe -- though both of those were half a dozen years ago - and cost more then than we have ever spent. And of course they are still performing for the sides that paid.

I still have to take an extra breath when i think about what he did.

Still processing. Been staring in to space and shaking my head on odd occasions since.

Imagine how the rest of the side feel?

What an absolute waste. Fucking hell.....

No way he can walk back in to that company.

While its impossible to defend such poor errors I don't think many of his team mates can blame him entirely as we performed so poorly as a team. While our back four did pretty well and Mane was outstanding under the circumstances the rest of them were just shite. If Karius had made the second error at 1-1 then I would be more pissed but after Bale's wonder second goal both the team and the supporters just basically gave up at 2-1 down,Karius massive cock up just quickened what was about to happen anyway. Lets be honest,this outfield performance wasn't much better than the 3-1 loss to Sevilla two years ago. That pisses me off as much as Karius errors and I hope Klopp feels the same way also.