You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

If this is true as you say why do the pros who work with him not flag it up?

Got to be more to it than conventional rumour.

I don't know why, but i'd hazard a guess that it's more to do with brown-nosing people in positions of power than your actual ability to do your job. 

He’s hardly a mental weakling. Coming back from his first spell and performing at a high level proves that, as does the way he’s accepted responsibility for his calamities. The nature of his fuck ups means any trust he’d built in Klopp’s eyes has surely vanished, but he absolutely deserves credit for helping us get to Kiev and for owning his mistakes like a man.

I can’t imagine a more public humiliation, but the way he’s conducted himself means he can hold his head high imo.

Sign Oblak.

The more i think about it, the more i think we will keep him. He may even be kept and loaned out at some point.

He has the attributes to be a very good goalkeeper, but needs to work on the mental side of the game, depending on how he reacts to what has happened in the next few weeks, it could be the making of him.

People forget he is 24 years old and his peak should be a few years away yet.

We will keep him until the end of his contract because there will be not one club on this planet willing to buy him.

Guest Alex_K

he absolutely deserves credit for helping us get to Kiev

No he doesn't - he really does not at all. I can highlight at least 3 major mistakes at Karius' door that could have put us out the competition before last night. He's the equivalent of an intern coming into an elite company, fucking up his inputs & bankrupting the lot. He really shouldn't be able to look the rest of the squad in the eyes again, to be honest.

Nobody has mentioned Karius cardinal sin with the third goal of not getting two surfaces behind the ball. One of the first lessons all goalkeepers are taught when they are young is to get two surfaces behind the ball,hands first and body or face as the second one. This is so that if you do let the occasional bar of soap slip through then your body or face will act as a back up. My other problem,and it probably relates to both of Karius mistakes is that he's always looking to release the ball far too quickly. The first goal he stupidly rushed his throw which Benzema intercepted and I am willing to guess that with the third one he was already thinking about what to do with the ball before even securing it,fatal mistake. He's been doing this constantly and I can only imagine Klopp has been ok with it as he doesn't seem to have stepped in and said 'slow it down' at any time. I've also said before that many outfield coaches simply don't have a clue about goalkeeper coaching and it can really let them down.

He's dropped several defenders in it with his piss poor judgement and distribution all season. He has to leave. Gutted for Milner Robertson etc.

Dreams scuppered by a fucking hair model, competition winner.

Fuck him.

No he doesn't - he really does not at all. I can highlight at least 3 major mistakes at Karius' door that could have put us out the competition before last night. He's the equivalent of an intern coming into an elite company, fucking up his inputs & bankrupting the lot. He really shouldn't be able to look the rest of the squad in the eyes again, to be honest.

Correct.

Absolute fucking clown central on here.

Get him out of the club.

Guest Alex_K

Gutted for Milner Robertson etc.

Exactly. Milner is 32, he's put in a 13 game shift in Europe, getting the most assists EVER in the Champions League, and he's got that putting him out the competition? Struggle to see how Karius walks back into that dressing room. There's at least 5 or 6 out there last night who, big odds on, never play in a Euro final again in their career.

I do think it's inevitable he'll remain as back-up keeper unfortunately.

Would love us to get Fabianski in as a fairly solid replacement keeper who'd stand a chance of keeping the domestic cups in play.

I'd take Fabianski as back up providing we bought a new 1st choice, he's a decent keeper 

Guest Alex_K

Realistically, its more likely that buying young mediocrity in the 5 - 8 m. range on relative peanut wages from mid-table clubs is the reason we've had garbage keepers than some malign coaching influence that none of Benitez, Dalglish, Hodgson, Rodgers or Klopp could detect. Would you blame the coach because Voronin, Jovanovic, N'Gog, Ings or any other cheapo forward in the past decade couldn't score to save their life?

Of course the keepers we've signed haven't been good enough, but you'd think from that low starting place you'd be able to see some improvement.

What Karius did for the first goal was something he's done numerous times before in one variation or another.

A good goalkeeping coach doesn't just improve your keeper, Fernando Torres credited Xavi Valero with helping him predict what a keeper would do in one on one situations.

To this day I rate Torres ahead of even Suarez, Owen & Salah and level with Fowler & Rush when it came to a nailed on goal one on one.

One on one Torres is arguably the greatest ever. You just knew as soon as he went through. I still love him.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

24 isn't 14. He threw the ball at the opponent's boot. The opponent's boot!!!

In his head he threw the ball to a team mate, mind made up. It so happens that simultaneously the boot came out instinctively and connected.

Karius was reckless and totally unfocused, but he invited the boot. He didnt aim at the boot.

Realistically, its more likely that buying young mediocrity in the 5 - 8 m. range on relative peanut wages from mid-table clubs is the reason we've had garbage keepers than some malign coaching influence that none of Benitez, Dalglish, Hodgson, Rodgers or Klopp could detect. Would you blame the coach because Voronin, Jovanovic, N'Gog, Ings or any other cheapo forward in the past decade couldn't score to save their life?

Spot on.

A caveat to this is that keepers tend to hit their best years in their early to mid thirties while outfield players are usually hanging up their boots.

In his head he threw the ball to a team mate, mind made up. It so happens that simultaneously the boot came out instinctively and connected.

Karius was reckless and totally unfocused, but he invited the boot. He didnt aim at the boot.

I read that last bit in the voice of Johnny Cochrane.

@Jay86

They were not shit when we signed them. Reina was verging on world class. Karius was the 3rd best goalkeeper in the Bundesliga (at 22 years old) and Mignolet and Begovic were considered the best goalkeepers outside the top 6, by some distance.

He's ruined every keeper he's worked with. He's ruined every one of their save percentages as well (based on before and after working with him). He was a 'never was' as a keeper anyway. A lower league clogger. Watch his training sessions and then compare them to the lowest level teams in La Liga like Levante and Deportivo and you'll see why he's awful.

I didn’t mean Reina was shit when he arrived because he clearly wasn’t, I meant he went to shit by the time he left, I was making the point that that could have had something to do with Achterberg. It’s always a risk buying a keeper from a bottom team because their stats are inflated, Begovic went to shit at Chelsea and has looked poor at Bournemouth since he’s been there also to be fair.

You could be right like I said I know next to nothing about him or anything to do with goalkeeper coaching.

Would like to see him loaned out.  Give him a chance to take stock and rebuild himself out of the spotlight, without slamming the door on his arse.  Still feel sorry for him, that's the main feeling still running strong at this point for me.  Would feel totally wrong to bomb him out and let him carry the can on his own.