You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Think his decision making is very suspect but at least he is coming for crosses.

We need better

Decision making? As in coming for all those crosses he caught or punched to safety? Strange one to pull him up on.

I'd still say he can be much better technically but his decision making is actually very good overall.

We should be celebrating in the fact that 'He's not Mignolet' and supporting the lad at every opportunity.

So you're saying I shouldn't have hired that plane during the game last night with the banner saying 'Loris, sh#t waffle on TLW thinks it was really poor that you parried an average shot into Dzeko's path under very little pressure; as such he now withdraws all support for you.'?

He absolutely is better than Mignolet, and I do support him, but I think saying he still does some pretty baffling stuff does not negate that.

So you're saying I shouldn't have hired that plane during the game last night with the banner saying 'Loris, sh#t waffle on TLW thinks it was really poor that you parried an average shot into Dzeko's path under very little pressure; as such he now withdraws all support for you.'?

He absolutely is better than Mignolet, and I do support him, but I think saying he still does some pretty baffling stuff does not negate that.

As a young keeper and being coached by Achterberg are the side effects of this.

As in taking out Dzeko when it wasn't on. He took out Zaha a couple of weeks back.

He didn't even attempt to get across for nangolins shot. I think he has problems judging situations and distances.

But he has improved a lot

As in taking out Dzeko when it wasn't on. He took out Zaha a couple of weeks back.

He didn't even attempt to get across for nangolins shot. I think he has problems judging situations and distances.

But he has improved a lot

Taking out Zaha was the right decision,taking out Dzeko didn't happen because it was offside. When a GK is put in those positions he have to look at those around them for allowing it to happen too.

It was wrongly given offside. Karius is lucky, and so are we.

About the only decision the ref gave us all night then. But then Roma were lucky with the 2 pens they did get, lucky that mane did not get a pen and so it goes on endlessly.

Karius has successfully wiped out Kane and the lad last night. Think he needs to work on that part of his game.

Over two legs of the semi final he made 3 mistakes. One hit the bar and he got away with it, one was wrongly flagged offside before he clattered Dzeko (though I’m sure the rules change means he’d have only got a yellow for it) and the third led to a goal.

With that said, he was overall very good last night. His command of the area has come on leaps and bounds. 2 or 3 catches he came for he made look very easy and that must have given everyone confidence around him. The punch he made was very easy to get wrong and he nailed it.

His save from Dzeko on the angle was a good save and probably a goal against Mingo, his save from Unger wasn’t easy either - though a yard either side and he’d have had no chance.

The belter from Naingolen was pretty much unstoppable, though I’d have felt better about it if he’d have dived, but I reckon that beats pretty much anyone except De Gea and 7 times out of 10 him too.

Basically he’s no longer a liability, but can still have an error.

That said, I’d feel no more confident (maybe even less) with the Madrid goalie in the sticks, and the fluff of all time from the Bayern Keeper was astonishing.

He can still improve, but overall he was pretty decent on balance last night in my view, considering we know he’s not world class.

He really isn't.

Mignolet is really shite. Karius is Premier League Top Six standard; not the best of those 6, but not the worst.

Top 6 out out of 20.

Maybe he has potential but I just don't see it.

Good shot stopper but awful decision making.

Don't we need better?

Top 6 out out of 20.

Maybe he has potential but I just don't see it.

Good shot stopper but awful decision making.

Don't we need better?

We do, but I think you also have to be realistic about how many “better” players we need. Look at the lack of depth this squad has right now. The fall off from our front three to the bench is staggering, the midfield is going to lose Can and quite possibly Lallana and one of our starting centre backs is a concern, let alone the bench.

We could arguably justify spending 200m on squad players this season (not that we would) so how much does a “better than top 6 out of 20” goalie cost on top of it all.

Personally, I’d replace Mingo with a more reliable understudy. Someone of Pantillimon sort of standard, and look for improvement, growth and development from Karius.

I think he’s come on leaps and bounds from the player he was in and out of the side to begin the year, and he’s a kid in goalkeeping terms.

It’s too easy to compare to De Gea’s start at United and to expect him to run into the best in the world is a daft plan, but to expect him to get better and wok on his weaknesses as he’s already shown he can is fair.

I’d not be gutted if he’s our number one next season.

If he’s the sole reason we lose the European cup final I reserve the right to change my mind, though.

Also worth pointing out that we put 7 past one of the two most sought after alternatives over two games, with him barely making a save of note (as well as only really making one error) so as that’s the only football I’ve ever seen him play I’m not running to the bank to withdraw the £30-50m needed to get that lad.

If a top keeper better than Karius costs 10-15 mill, then fine. Otherwise I'm sorry but there are other areas of the pitch that need improving/reinforcing, that will help mitigate the performance of whatever keeper is between the sticks. Much more of a priority than a keeper.