You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

I still thought he was awful! He's generally so slow to react (as a shot stopper at least; he's not so bad at coming off his line) and he basically just drops to his arse rather than trying to stretch wide. This is possibly confirmation bias but I think a decent keeper saves the third goal, he seemed more concerned with appealing for offside than trying to keep it out.

• Downvote 1

That "great" save he made (and I thought so too at the time tbh) was fairly regulation when you see it again and he still nearly let it in.

This is unnecessarily harsh and inaccurate. I get that some people don't like him,but like Mignolet he at least deserves credit where due. His great save was the one given as offside,the tip onto the post was simply very good.

This is unnecessarily harsh and inaccurate. I get that some people don't like him,but like Mignolet he at least deserves credit where due. His great save was the one given as offside,the tip onto the post was simply very good.

To clarify, I'm talking aboyt the one in the first half from Nolito, viewable here at about 40 secs in:

That's not a good save IMO. It's very nearly a bad error. He got lucky. It's straight at him and he still nearly manages to let it in.

• 4 weeks later...

A very good game from him I thought. Looked real confident and commanding. First time I’ve seen some promise from him.

I think the deficiencies of the rest of the team had something to do with that, By comparison he looked good.  He put in an acceptable performance, the bare minimum I would expect from a Liverpool keeper,  

He looks a lot less nervy in between the sticks now and I think Klopp's idea to play him in the CL games has looked to be a good way of building up his confidence. I have a feeling he will get a few more league games before the season is over. If he fucks up then I think Klopp will have a good idea about bringing in another keeper or not. I'm sure FSG's wish is for Karius and Ward to be the first team keepers due to being cheaper options but it also may be Klopp's for more practical reasons too.

• Upvote 1

He’s better than Mignolet. People let a couple of early, high profile errors cloud their judgement. This lad is a decent keeper, a lot more switched on than Simon, has made some very decent saves when he’s been called upon and his distribution and command of the area is much, much better.

Okay, he sometimes looks dodgy under a cross/high ball but you’re not going to get the finished article at 24 years old for £5million. Or whatever it was we signed him for.

• Upvote 2

I cant see another keeper coming in next month so we will have to wait to see in the summer whether Karius steps up, I hope he doesn't cost us big time in the meantime, My preference is to go and get a proven keeper asap, These two, Mig especially, have cost us so many points during their tenure it drives me nuts, 

I cant see another keeper coming in next month so we will have to wait to see in the summer whether Karius steps up, I hope he doesn't cost us big time in the meantime, My preference is to go and get a proven keeper asap, These two, Mig especially, have cost us so many points during their tenure it drives me nuts,

When has Karius cost us points? Aside from, arguably, Bournemouth away last season.

Edit: and West Ham at anfield, arguably.

• Upvote 1

I'm with Moof on this one. I really don't see the fuckin' issue with him. Way more comfortable with him. If we can't get a top keeper like Oblak, we should probably spend the money on quality outfield players instead, especially in the defence and defensive midfield areas. That'll instantly make any keeper look way better, in my view.

I'm with Moof on this one. I really don't see the fuckin' issue with him. Way more comfortable with him. If we can't get a top keeper like Oblak, we should probably spend the money on quality outfield players instead, especially in the defence and defensive midfield areas. That'll instantly make any keeper look way better, in my view.

Do not see an issue with him? He does not catch the ball cleanly. I am not comfortable with him at all. Not saying Mignolet is good enough either.

• Downvote 1

Do not see an issue with him? He does not catch the ball cleanly. I am not comfortable with him at all. Not saying Mignolet is good enough either.

No, I said I don't see the]/i] issue with him. He's not a perfect player, but the 'he's fucking wank' brigade are out in force, and I just don't get it. He's made a few errors. This whole 'I don't feel comfortable' thing is in the head. He's a good young keeper who needs games. He's way better than Mignolet, in my view. So, for me, it's top keeper or Karius. Considering our financial constraints, the latter probably makes more sense.

• Upvote 1

Donarumma(?) was in tears this week because of abuse by his own fans. Wouldn't be a surprise if he was available although it would be expensive

The way they treated an 18 year old boy is fuckin' wild, in my view. I'd like to pick him up, should the chance arise. I remember there being talk of release clauses and CL dependent fees.

but you’re not going to get the finished article at 24 years old for £5million. Or whatever it was we signed him for.

This is the problem for me. The signing has a 'succession plan' feel to it.

He was signed when we were/are having challenges with our number 1 keeper. It felt at the time that the manager was addressing arguably our biggest problem - Mingolet. So a lot of people's expectations were that he would go straight into the side and be a quick fix to our keeper problems.

He’s better than Mignolet. People let a couple of early, high profile errors cloud their judgement. This lad is a decent keeper, a lot more switched on than Simon, has made some very decent saves when he’s been called upon and his distribution and command of the area is much, much better.

Okay, he sometimes looks dodgy under a cross/high ball but you’re not going to get the finished article at 24 years old for £5million. Or whatever it was we signed him for.

Based on what? He certainly hasn't been better than Mignolet since he arrived here, hence spending the vast majority of his time sat on the bench, despite being signed specifically to be our new number one. His embarrassing attempt at saving the Spartak freekick is still worse than anything Mignolet has done this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He came here and did worse than expected. A few mistakes, compounded by a jittery defence in front of him. Quick off his line and quick distribution, and one or two saves, meant that there was a glimmer of hope, but he wasn’t ready to take the no.1 spot.

Mignolet came back in and improved his own form. It’s debatable how good he was, as the stuff that went before was so bad, so we may have over inflated his improved form a bit.

Fast forward to this season. Mignolet gets the Prem, Karius gets the CL. This tells us Klopp has hopes at LFC for Karius, but he’s trying to get him some games so he can settle down a bit. He has done better, so now we are starting to see him play in the league. He won’t play every week, but once you start doing that, I can see Karius growing and Mignolet diminishing.

I doubt we will sign another keeper. Karius will be the clear number one by next season. This is the season it transitions to that. Klopp thought it might have been last season, but Karius had a slow start here and didn’t adjust right away, so had to be taken out of the side. But he’s been finding his way back, which shows a certain mental strength and resilience.

If we get a commanding central defender that will help Karius make the switch to being the main man in between the sticks as a refreshed Liverpool back line emerges. That’s my take on it.

At worst he produces more high profile mistakes and falls apart as he is given more games this season, leaving Klopp with the decision to get another goalie in the summer and bin him, and probably Mingo too. But I doubt it will come to that. Mingo will probabably go if Karius cements his spot. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

No, I said I don't see the]/i] issue with him. He's not a perfect player, but the 'he's fucking wank' brigade are out in force, and I just don't get it. He's made a few errors. This whole 'I don't feel comfortable' thing is in the head. He's a good young keeper who needs games. He's way better than Mignolet, in my view. So, for me, it's top keeper or Karius. Considering our financial constraints, the latter probably makes more sense.

They are both not good enough. I do not feel confident going into any game with either of them in goal.

• Upvote 2

Based on what? He certainly hasn't been better than Mignolet since he arrived here, hence spending the vast majority of his time sat on the bench, despite being signed specifically to be our new number one. His embarrassing attempt at saving the Spartak freekick is still worse than anything Mignolet has done this season.

Based on the fact that he hasn't been mostly shite for 5 years, maybe?