You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Anyone has to be an improvement, Mignolet, Bogdan and Jones are an unholy trinity of shit, fuck knows how we managed to accrue such a lack of talent, you could put all three of them in nets at the same time and we'd still be fucked.

• Upvote 1

I reckon the intention is for Mignolet's 5 year contract to bridge the gap of a new keeper finding his feet in England, while Ward gets enough game time and experience in someone else's first team to be our medium-term back-up.

Next season would be about Karius, for example, starting as deputy while waiting for Mignolet to open the door with an error, coming on before half time in the opening game, then establishing himself in English football with a Premier League experienced deputy ready any time he's not available or has a wobble himself.

As poor as Mignolet is, he's better than what we've had as reserve in recent years, and Klopp seems to not want to go down the spending cash (including agent fees) to bring in more unproven squad players route, which makes a refreshing change whatever Simple Simon's numerous limitations.

I'm sure the aim is for him to be off next summer or in 2018, with a more developed Ward taking his squad place.

It's not a...what's the word...good plan, though, is it?

A good plan would be/would have been, ensuring we got rid of both of our spastic keepers, Mignolet and Bogdan, this summer. Sign Karius, which we've done/are doing, and if Ward isn't ready to be back up then sign one of the many 35+ year old professional back up keepers on a one year deal.

Essentially, fuck letting Mignolet botch next season for us. Karius, by all accounts (I may have watched him play twice), is a really good keeper. He's not going to need a "bedding in period" before he remembers how to play football. This is usually a fairly flimsy excuse for shit players (not always the case, admittedly), but especially in the case of a goalkeeper I don't think he'll require much time. The Bundesliga is pretty similar to our league, it's not like coming from the Brazilian league or something and suddenly facing your first ever cross.

The Mignolet new deal was a really odd decision. It added about 35p to his value, and just prolonged the inevitable. He isn't going to be here long term as a back up goalkeeper. That just doesn't happen. Keepers in their mid/late 20s with, despite what we may think, a reasonable reputation within the game, probably are going to decide they can be first choice somewhere half decent, and he's probably right. Back up keepers tend to be young, old, or pure Bogdan. Mignolet isn't any of them and, for his sake, and our sake, he needs to fuck off this summer.

• Upvote 3

It's not a...what's the word...good plan, though, is it?

A good plan would be/would have been, ensuring we got rid of both of our spastic keepers, Mignolet and Bogdan, this summer. Sign Karius, which we've done/are doing, and if Ward isn't ready to be back up then sign one of the many 35+ year old professional back up keepers on a one year deal.

Essentially, fuck letting Mignolet botch next season for us. Karius, by all accounts (I may have watched him play twice), is a really good keeper. He's not going to need a "bedding in period" before he remembers how to play football. This is usually a fairly flimsy excuse for shit players (not always the case, admittedly), but especially in the case of a goalkeeper I don't think he'll require much time. The Bundesliga is pretty similar to our league, it's not like coming from the Brazilian league or something and suddenly facing your first ever cross.

The Mignolet new deal was a really odd decision. It added about 35p to his value, and just prolonged the inevitable. He isn't going to be here long term as a back up goalkeeper. That just doesn't happen. Keepers in their mid/late 20s with, despite what we may think, a reasonable reputation within the game, probably are going to decide they can be first choice somewhere half decent, and he's probably right. Back up keepers tend to be young, old, or pure Bogdan. Mignolet isn't any of them and, for his sake, and our sake, he needs to fuck off this summer.

How's Mignolet going to "botch next season for us" if Karius is able to come straight in without remembering how to play football?

He won't be getting any games will he, if Karius is first choice from the moment he gets here?

How's Mignolet going to "botch next season for us" if Karius is able to come straight in without remembering how to play football?

He won't be getting any games will he, if Karius is first choice from the moment he gets here?

Well, I know this bit of your post - 

"Next season would be about Karius, for example, starting as deputy while waiting for Mignolet "

was slightly in jest, but I think if Mignolet is still here then there is the chance that he'll start the first league game. 

Karius should be first choice from the moment he gets here. We've bought a dud if he isn't.

I'm not sure if he was an underrated (red-headed) 'keeper, but he definitely has an underrated Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hooper_%28footballer%29

As goalkeeper for the school team, his towering height proved an imposing sight to the opposition.

Good to see Wikipedia went to great lengths to find out what Mike Hooper's school friends thought of him when they saw him in goal.

Karius may start off as our number two, but he won't be sat on the bench for long. Personally I think, if signed, he'll start between the sticks next season.

Yep, beginning of the end for migs I reckon, Ward out for a season loan to come back as number 2 when he's done his time.

I'm not sure that's true any more.

We've always grown up on a diet of (at best) real goalkeeper + pretend goalkeeper, but the top clubs now tend to have two who are good enough to deserve a regular starting place: Courtois/Begovic; Cech/Ospina; de Gea/Romero; Lloris/Vorm; Hart/Caballero; etc.  I'd still happily see Mignolet fucked off and replaced by someone good, but if he ends up as an understudy for Karius, that could be good enough.

I think with the first four you've got four of the best 10/15 keepers in the world. Not sure we'd have the same balance/gap with Karius and Mignolet, not in the latter's eyes anyway. Certainly not initially.

Always seems a waste of resources paying a back up keeper 70/80k p/w. City can do it, so can Chelsea. Not sure we can.

A lot will depend on whether Mignolet is willing to stop playing as, for example, Vorm has. If he's fine with it then sound. We get a reasonable back up keeper, but the dynamic rarely starts with the back up having previously been first choice. It didn't in any of those Premier League examples (Ospina? I can't remember. Was the Polish fella first choice?)

*shrugs*

As long as he isn't starting regularly for us I'm not arsed.

If we sign Karius the Mignolet thing will run its course. He will be probably be off to a low to mid Prem team to rebuild his career as a first choice again. I'm chilled about the whole thing.

He may stay as a back up to Karius while Ward gains more experience, but if he wants out when he sees the writing on the wall, it won't be hard to find a back up to Karius, probably of the sort of age profile Jairzinho suggests.

• Upvote 1

I find it very confusing there's any talk of this chap being number two.

He's supposed to be very highly rated and quite frankly Mignolet's the worst number one we've had since James.   There's plenty of average keepers in the premiership that are comfortably better than Mignolet, I'd be hoping there's no question of that with any new signing.

Not convinced that a young keeper is going to come in and quickly be better than Mignolet.

I would have like a proven replacement 

De Gea was 20 when the mancs signed him. Courtois joined chelsea at 22, same age as Karius is now. Hes not a teenager. In fact, he'll be 23 in the summer.