You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2016 France

I found the main problem was that there were about four decent players in the squad.

CM is a real problem. Only one player who would maybe have a chance get into Germany squad for example, and that's Alli. Whereas Germany will probably leave out the likes of Weigl, Dahoud, Goretzka, Kimmich... All good enough to start for England.

I think a good manager stands a chance with England as one of those sides that's a bit shit but performs above its station.

It's bemusing listening to any of those football discussions you get on 5live featuring media and ex-footballers when they talk up people like Allardyce and Bruce as though they were performing miracles taking really rich clubs to 17th in the premier league or Championship play-off champions, then suggest the FA needs to be hiring them.

It's a world-class salary the FA pays. Go and get a cup manager like Benitez you daft cunts.

CM is a real problem. Only one player who would maybe have a chance get into Germany squad for example, and that's Alli. Whereas Germany will probably leave out the likes of Weigl, Dahoud, Goretzka, Kimmich... All good enough to start for England.

Hart and Forster are pretty good (but no more than that), I'd actually start the latter. Clyne and Bertrand are "decent" fullbacks. Still not convinced either of the Spurs fullbacks are any good, even if they have looked better this season. Cahill is quite solid, I guess Smalling is a reasonable Premier League centreback. Stones is laughably shit. An absolute liability. 

But, yeah, central midfield is the real low point of the squad. Alli looks a good prospect but the rest are all jobbing midfielders, or hugely overrated (like Barkley and Wilshere, the latter of which hasn't even played for about two years).

I'm assuming they'll play some sort of 4-4-2 diamond, as obviously you wouldn't want to be starting games with Sterling and Townsend. 

Kane and Sturridge are top quality number nines, and Vardy is a nice option off the bench. I'd have actually had those three and Carroll (just for a different option off the bench). Potato will start every game, though. The Rashford selection is fucking funny.

Hodgson basically manages the team to minimise flack from the press. Media clamours for a player - he picks him. 

They should beat all three of the other teams in the group, but you wouldn't be surprised if England didn't beat any of them.

Spain

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Porto), David De Gea (Manchester United), Sergio Rico (Sevilla)

Defenders: Jordi Alba, Gerard Pique, Marc Bartra (all Barcelona), Sergio Ramos, Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid)

Midfielders: Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta (both Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Mikel San Jose (Athletic Bilbao), Koke, Saul Niguez (both Atletico Madrid), Cesc Fabregas (Chelsea), Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), Isco (Real Madrid), Bruno Soriano (Villarreal)

Forwards: Pedro Rodriguez (Chelsea), Alvaro Morata (Juventus), Aritz Aduriz (Athletic Bilbao), Nolito (Celta Vigo), Lucas Vazquez (Real Madrid)

Jose Enrique unlucky yet again.

• Upvote 1

The good news is that it looks like Sturridge won't be playing. 

He's going to play something like this -

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier

Henderson Wilshere

Sterling Kane Rooney

Wales and Russia to get out of the group.

Hart

Clyne Cahill Smalling Rose

Wilshere

Henderson Alli

Sterling/Lallana Kane Rooney

Wales and Russia to get out of the group.

If the only two bits of media info I've heard so far are correct, then the the highest paid international coach in the world wants to start Rooney on the left-wing and Wilshere in the middle of the three in midfield where neither have played all season.

To be fair Rooney plays anywhere he feels like and Wishere just doesn't play.

If the Owl is top of the pay heap then why the fuck have England got such a shit manager.

To be fair Rooney plays anywhere he feels like and Wishere just doesn't play.

If the Owl is top of the pay heap then why the fuck have England got such a shit manager.

I don't know. I'll never understand why a country with as shit a hand of managers as England, not only restricts itself to those managers, but also gives them one of the biggest salaries in football.

I don't know. I'll never understand why a country with as shit a hand of managers as England, not only restricts itself to those managers, but also gives them one of the biggest salaries in football.

Because they've built them up to believe they are the elite when the reality is anything but.

Why is the owl obsessed with Wilshere?? I really don't get it. A very overrated footballer who is forever injured and takes the piss during his rehabilitation. And he'll be nowhere near match fitness, he's only played once all season yet Woy still insists on taking him along. Weirdo.