You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kolo Toure deserves some.....

Mathewbet1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll miss him. Hope he takes some of those fannies with him

He has been massive for us the last couple of months of the season. I genuinely hope the rumors are false. Best player in the final by a mile... Man got balls, unlike most of our players.

• Upvote 1

He clearly is a winner. I'd be more disappointed to see him go than I would any of our other players,as he is the only one to demonstrate the required mentality. Even keeping him on as a coach/mentor would be more sensible than losing him altogether imo.

• Upvote 3

He clearly is a winner. I'd be more disappointed to see him go than I would any of our other players,as he is the only one to demonstrate the required mentality. Even keeping him on as a coach/mentor would be more sensible than losing him altogether imo.

When did we start to make sensible decisions over players. I agree he's been the only one with a pair of balls in recent months,  

Shame that.  I'd love to see him stay as a coach because he's won virtually everything in the domestic game as well as international tournaments.  He's a winner with a winning mentality and I strongly believe that's something you can't manufacture in players.

However if he wants to go somewhere to play like the states or newly promoted team to the PL (and based on his form the last 1/4 of our season he'd get a game every week) then fair play to him.  I'd welcome him back with open arms if when he hangs up his boots. 

Skrtel is off. I don't see Ilori being retained. Sakho's future is up in the air. Gomez is still a long way off a comeback. So far we have signed Matip.

If it were up to me, I would sign Kolo to a rolling 1-year contract. It would have to be on a lower salary than he is presently on and he probaby won't get the amount of game time he's had this season, but his character, personality and attitude are all positives that you want in the dressing room and around the club. If he can be convinced that he can still be of immense value even on this basis, it would be worth it for me.

• Upvote 1

I concur.

• 3 weeks later...

Kolo Toure turns down Liverpool coaching role to leave as free agent Veteran defender released after Mamadou Sakho’s Uefa doping ban is not extended

20 minutes ago  Updated: 18 minutes ago

image.jpg

Defender Kolo Toure’s departure from Liverpool will be officially confirmed when the club’s list of retained players is published on Friday.

The former Ivory Coast international will be the highest-profile name to leave Anfield this summer after his contract expired.

It’s understood that the 35-year-old will not be offered a new contract despite finishing the season as first-choice centre-back alongside Dejan Lovren and putting in the best performance in Liverpool’s Europa League final defeat to Sevilla.

There was a point in the last month when there was a chance Toure could earn a new short-term deal with the future of Mamadou Sakho unclear after his failed drugs test.

However, the France international’s initial 30-day suspension has not been extended as Uefa investigate whether the fat burning substance found in his sample should even be on their banned list.

With that in mind, and the fact Joel Matip is arriving from Schalke on a free transfer and the 19-year-old Joe Gomez is returning to fitness after a cruciate knee ligament operation, the decision has been made to let Toure go even though Martin Skrtel is set to follow him out of the door with Besiktas interested in signing the Slovakia defender.

Liverpool had considered offering Toure a coaching role but the defender is keen to extend his playing career as long as possible and could now get a lucrative deal as a free agent.

Other players on the released list will include Jose Enrique, Jerome Sinclair and Jordan Rossiter — all of whom have already left Anfield.

The 23-year-old Portuguese Joao Carlos Teixeira is understood to have been offered a new contract but has expressed his desire to leave.

Of the players who are still in contract Liverpool have had preliminary discussions with Germany midfielder Emre Can about extending his deal, which still has two years to run.

Manager Jurgen Klopp also would like Joe Allen, who is entering the final 12 months of his contract, to stay but the midfielder — currently preparing for Wales’ first match of Euro 2016 — is seeking more regular first-team football and no talks have been held over an extension yet.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has already expressed his desire to take the 26-year-old back to the Liberty Stadium.

“I think it has been well-documented that Joe is going to look at his future when he is finished out at Euro 2016,” he told the South Wales Evening Post.

“Naturally, we are interested in good players like Joe who may be available this summer given that he has a year left on his contract.

“Obviously we will keep tabs on his situation and see what happens later in the summer.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/kolo-toure-turns-down-liverpool-coaching-role-to-leave-as-free-agent-1.2679759

I wish him all the best for the future. Top character - a winner, a leader, great enthusiasm for the game and for life. As a player he was a top class central defender. When he came to us on a free he was a bit past his best, but then this past season he showed us that he still had a lot to offer as he forced his way into the team on merit, rather than as a bit part back up giving someone else a rest.

Arguably he would still deserve a place here as a player, but then again, Klopp is building a new thing, and it will be Matip, Lovren, Sakho and possibly one other to come in, as well as Gomez to come back. Given less competitions to fight for, Kolo may as well go and enjoy some sunshine and play elsewhere.

The fact we offered him a coaching role is credit to his character and professional standing. But the old adage for players is that they are a long time retired, so they might as well play as long as they can. Good luck Kolo, top fella.

• Upvote 4