You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hey guys, I did it. I just retired!

Caramac

So after 30 years with the same company l just took early retirement from my job (QA)  

After paying into a final salary pension plan for all those years and reaching the point where my mortgage is paid up I decided the time was right.

My work involved working a 3 shift system and a 40 mile a day commute, so ......

YAY!

B46hYbC.jpg

• Upvote 38

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Good stuff, and well done for doing the sensible thing. Getting your mortgage paid off, sorting your retirement out. You deserve the freedom. You now need to find something else to keep you going. You'll be bored as shit by the weekend.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Jammy bastard, you've no idea how jealous I am.

As previously mentioned my pension has just been cut by £12k a year. They can all fuck off now.

That's a fucking outrage.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

And I'll have to put more in. If I live for 20 yrs after retirement it's comfortably over a quarter of a million quid.

That's just fucking lunacy. That's an inheritance for the kids or a yearly trip to Vegas, with cash to splash on hookers and blow. Bastards.

Don't buy shares & go along to AGMs for a free lunch or cup of tea, I have to go along to these things all the time with my work & can't believe that's what people do when they retire, they turn up & tell you about their journey & their favourite AGMs, fucking boring old twats.

If I ever get to retire (I won't), I'll either be at home watching cowboy films, in the boozer looking down the barmaid's top or in a hotel room 'doing a John Entwistle'.

• Upvote 3

Yes, means I need a new job.

What've you got planned mate?

Nothing to spectacular tbh. The Mrs still works part time as a TA so we'll take the family for a holiday in the summer break. We have 3 sons who still live at home although one of them is at uni during the week.

I have plenty going on at home to keep me busy, spend some money on the house etc. Its early days yet so I'm still taking it in that l don't have to think about going to work anymore.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Enjoy your retirement mate, I know I am. Like yourself we still have 3 kids living at home so you always have plenty to do. My missus still works as well so I basically do most of the housework/cooking etc which keeps me busy and her happy. I'm thinking of volunteering for some unpaid work in the future, probably for the local rheumatic/arthritis league who do sterling work in helping to organise and help patients.  

Enjoy your retirement mate, I know I am. Like yourself we still have 3 kids living at home so you always have plenty to do. My missus still works as well so I basically do most of the housework/cooking etc which keeps me busy and her happy. I'm thinking of volunteering for some unpaid work in the future, probably for the local rheumatic/arthritis league who do sterling work in helping to organise and help patients.  

Cheers mate, I'm over the moon to be honest. Much rep to you regarding the voluntary work.

*edit, cheers Anubis, those shifts weren't getting any easier. I'm out of rep for today, will catch up with you guys tomorrow.

Guest Pistonbroke

Cheers mate, I'm over the moon to be honest. Much rep to you regarding the voluntary work.

I was the same, after working 35 years I'd just had enough. You'll realise that home life will become a lot less stressful for everyone. I lost out on a bit of money by taking early retirement but nothing we can't manage, it all boils down to the individual and financial circumstances and what is perceived as being comfortable. Enjoy it, after a while you get into a rhythm and realise although there is plenty to do you still have large chunks of time you spend wondering what you can do (internet gets boring after a while and daytime TV is fucking dreadful), hence the voluntary work route I'm thinking/in the process of doing.  

I was the same, after working 35 years I'd just had enough. You'll realise that home life will become a lot less stressful for everyone. I lost out on a bit of money by taking early retirement but nothing we can't manage, it all boils down to the individual and financial circumstances and what is perceived as being comfortable. Enjoy it, after a while you get into a rhythm and realise although there is plenty to do you still have large chunks of time you spend wondering what you can do (internet gets boring after a while and daytime TV is fucking dreadful), hence the voluntary work route I'm thinking/in the process of doing.  

All good words mate, my decision was based upon a lot of what you say.

Daytime tv, ugh.

Although l'll probably stretch to getting myself a TLW membership sub.