You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

any chance of future Kop & Centeenary enlargement/rebuild ?

I know the Kop hasnt alway been the highest stand at Anfield but surely it needs to be extended.Its gonna look a bit shite next to the towering new Main Stand.We should square off the back at the very least and remove the ridiculous 'obstructed views' at the back in a stand that was built from fucking scratch.

I also think the centeenary (especially the Knee killing Lower Centeenary) due to the uncomfortable leg space and once again 'obstructed views' from the front section on the Kop on the Centeenary side.How hard would it be to make the 'rake' shallower in its existing form? 

I also think with the amount of open and derelict space behind Walton Breck Road at the moment,its the only time we could have the chance to re-route the road so we could use the existing WBR too extend the Kop.The road could go around the back of the Moonlight Chippy & Church and rejoin around the 12th man area.

Nope, that's why we knew we needed a new stadium 20 years ago and the pointless upgrade FSG have pushed on with wouldn't change that fact.

was old trafford in a similar sort of residential area and they cleared the lot to make the stadium bigger or did they have the space there anyway?

I'm going to say yes, it's possible. I think FSG will see how it goes with the new stand. If demand still exceeds supply, and the new stand is paid for, say, by a sponsor, then that leaves us in a good position to look at other parts of the ground. Obviously if new owners come in at some point, they may have their own ideas.

When a new stadium or a refurb/upgrade of Anfield was being debated, a lot of fans wanted to stay put; and a lot of fans also said they liked a stadium that wasn't a 'soulless bowl', with a strong preference for four distinct stands expressed.

I'm OK that we are doing this our own way. A new stadium made most sense when Parry was at the club and the Millennium Stadium could have been some sort of template. Since then costs have risen and risen, and there have been numerous local issues to sort through to make progress on this issue. We're staying at Anfield, the stadium is improving, and there could be scope for further improvement down the line. I'm OK with that.

PS - not sure what the building regulations are in England, but Dortmund's single tier Kop is very impressive.

Didnt the council say anything about 60k would mean the club needs to pay for additional transport links. Add that couple of hundred million onto 500 or so for a new stadium and its not a worthwhile addition for 20-25k additional seats that cant be sold at London prices. A new stadium would have been great but needed to be built in the late 90s early 00.

Spending the few hundred million that we are to getting close to 60k seems a much more viable option

It is dependant upon things like cost and ticket demand, but part of the problem we have right now is that the stands were never built to any cohesive plan for the whole stadium. They already fit together with loads of awkward corners, but even the rake of the stands varies too much to allow for any cohesive expansion.

If each stand is going to be redeveloped like the Main Stand (an extension and new facilities behind a revised existing section), then all 4 stands have to at least knit together more seamlessly.

Of course a brand new stadium is a sensible choice and would eliminate all the existing problems, but it's a hugely expensive undertaking in this country. Spurs and Chelsea will find that out soon enough.

was old trafford in a similar sort of residential area and they cleared the lot to make the stadium bigger or did they have the space there anyway?

Nah Old Trafford is in Trafford Park. A really shitty run down industrial park. The land around it hadnt been used for years so they picked it up decades ago for peanuts

Assuming that the transport wasn't a condition even though it is. You would have to buy up all the houses behind the centenary which cost about 110 grand each the build a bigger stand but that all depends on the right to light issue. The new main stand has a lot of spare land around it now so it doesn't look like a lot of residents are that affected by it.

With any expansion of the Kop the road behind it would probably need to be rerouted, someone on skyscraper city has done a mock up of new stands and an aerial shot of the rerouted road behind the Kop if anyone fancies a look.

I know the Kop hasnt alway been the highest stand at Anfield but surely it needs to be extended.Its gonna look a bit shite next to the towering new Main Stand.We should square off the back at the very least and remove the ridiculous 'obstructed views' at the back in a stand that was built from fucking scratch.

I also think the centeenary (especially the Knee killing Lower Centeenary) due to the uncomfortable leg space and once again 'obstructed views' from the front section on the Kop on the Centeenary side.How hard would it be to make the 'rake' shallower in its existing form? 

I also think with the amount of open and derelict space behind Walton Breck Road at the moment,its the only time we could have the chance to re-route the road so we could use the existing WBR too extend the Kop.The road could go around the back of the Moonlight Chippy & Church and rejoin around the 12th man area.

I think those two buildings would go if the road was rerouted. The church is one of those modern ones and not a listed building like the one in the corner of a Goodison. Was surprised how much space is behind that road when I had a wander round the other week.

The centenary stand is fucking shite. I was in the upper centenary last year against Blackburn in the FA Cup and I don't think I've ever been so uncomfortable sitting down at a football match.

And around we go again!

All stands can be increased if space permits. I dont see the need for the Kop to be the biggest or highest stand. I dont think many more seats could be added and dont think another tier would work because it would then take away its 'unity' aspect.

The Lower Centenary could be re profiled to end the Kemlyn Knee but then the club would be losing seats.

I think the Upper Centenary roof could be jacked up in situ and maybe a few more rows put in. Id guess a maximum of 10 additional rows.

• Upvote 1

Biggest problem when expanding a ground bit by bit is poor views and cost.

Seen that even this new main stand has a bomb load of restricted views in upper tier sides because of the exisiting roofs on kop and anny road ends...and we have never ever grasped how to properly fill in corners in our stands....the amny road end is shite it nearly fell down didnt it which is why those pillars are in and the kemlyn is shite with seats crammed in.

The exisiting footprint does not lend itself to easy expansion or very cost effective expansion...we would have been better served knocking the ground down and re-building from scratch like spurs are.

Of course the problem then is where do we play whilst we rebuild though.

Assuming that the transport wasn't a condition even though it is. You would have to buy up all the houses behind the centenary which cost about 110 grand each the build a bigger stand but that all depends on the right to light issue. The new main stand has a lot of spare land around it now so it doesn't look like a lot of residents are that affected by it.

With any expansion of the Kop the road behind it would probably need to be rerouted, someone on skyscraper city has done a mock up of new stands and an aerial shot of the rerouted road behind the Kop if anyone fancies a look.

It isn't just about the market prices though when purchasing especially compulsory purchase orders the people who you are buying from will argue and quite rightly so that they can't buy a similar property for the amount they are valued at. That means the houses end up costing more than market value.

Edit: they haven't even confirmed they will press ahead on the ARE as there may not be the demand for seats so the main stand redevelopment was the best option. It offered more seats as well as improved corporate and hospitality seats so it will get a higher return on investment than any other stand.

• Upvote 1

they haven't even confirmed they will press ahead on the ARE as there may not be the demand for seats so the main stand redevelopment was the best option.

The current waiting list for Season tickets, which was recently updated, stands at 25,000. We are still the second best supported club in England by home average attendance. We have increased our attendance by the least of all the other clubs in the North West since the PL era.

The demand is there, the will, and the vision, on the part of the club is not.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Apparently Morrisons are building a supermarket on Walton Breck road on the site of the petrol station. Its currently being demolished. Doubt there will ever be any scope to expand the Kop or re route the road.

Surely just another petrol station/mini store.

No way could get a supermarket there!

29 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

The match going experience took a major dive when I found out that Fung Lok had been demolished.

Never been back.

Sing Fong all the way, mate.

The Salt & Pepper chips...

tenor (13).gif

26 minutes ago, an tha said:

Surely just another petrol station/mini store.

No way could get a supermarket there!

Not sure mate, just saw a few photos of the hoardings round the petrol station and people saying it's going to be a Morrisons store. I've never seen the Morrisons equivalent of a Tesco Express anywhere though.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Not sure mate, just saw a few photos of the hoardings round the petrol station and people saying it's going to be a Morrisons store. I've never seen the Morrisons equivalent of a Tesco Express anywhere though.

Must be a garage or a mini job, mate.....just no way a proper supermarket goes in that space.

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

Sing Fong all the way, mate.

The Salt & Pepper chips...

tenor (13).gif

Never ended up in there for some reason. Always dashed into Fungs for chips and gravy. £1.50 and you were in and out in a flash as there was as many behind the counter as there were in front.

Did Sing Fong get demolished as well?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

Never ended up in there for some reason. Always dashed into Fungs for chips and gravy. £1.50 and you were in and out in a flash as there was as many behind the counter as there were in front.

Did Sing Fong get demolished as well?

I fucking hope not.