You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Getting to Basel...

gingerhulk

Booked!

Miss Hulk can't understand why i'm spending over 300quid and going without a ticket.

We've had a little talk about it.

You just gonna go for the atmosphere or try and get tickets over there? Looking to do this myself but not sure how good the craic will be in Switzerland with the prices.

You just gonna go for the atmosphere or try and get tickets over there? Looking to do this myself but not sure how good the craic will be in Switzerland with the prices.

Will try and get tickets but i know i wont get one. 

Going for a party if im honest. I will have to dip into my savings to buy a bevvie, but fuck it, its a european final. 

Will try and get tickets but i know i wont get one.

Going for a party if im honest. I will have to dip into my savings to buy a bevvie, but fuck it, its a european final.

Indeed my thoughts exactly.

Fucking drinks will cost more than flights!

We're hiring a minibus to Heathrow and flying to Geneva and then driving to Basle. Hire car I suppose. 

I paid £137 each for mine and my lads flights.  The in-laws booked theirs earlier in the day and paid £103.

We arrive back in London about 9pm on the Thursday, so it'll be 3 days off work unpaid for me.

Just had to pay over £200 to fast track our new passports as well and all without the guarantee of a ticket. Crazy really.

I could really do with my footie accumulator coming in tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

I went to Basel when we played there back in 2002. The price of alcohol was stupid, so I bought my ale in the supermarket and drank it in the pub.

I bought mine in the pub and drank it in the supermarket. Just to be different like.

• Upvote 3

Iv'e been to Switzerland loads of times over the years, My advice would be get to Zurich and take the train. Swiss trains are brilliant and punctual,

I think from Zurich its about an hour to Basel (90 km) and there is a train every 30 mins. Not that expensive either ; probably about 40 quid return, You might have to change at Zurich main station which is a couple of stops from the airport, Its all quite straightforward always assuming you're not completely wankered in which case enjoy Geneva. 

The ticket guys are helpful and speak good English just remember after you get your ticket you have to put it in a machine to validate it before going to the platform to board. Wish I was going but I'm away and could possibly even struggle to see the game . Well pissed off I can tell you

• Upvote 1

Iv'e been to Switzerland loads of times over the years, My advice would be get to Zurich and take the train. Swiss trains are brilliant and punctual,

I think from Zurich its about an hour to Basel (90 km) and there is a train every 30 mins. Not that expensive either ; probably about 40 quid return, You might have to change at Zurich main station which is a couple of stops from the airport, Its all quite straightforward always assuming you're not completely wankered in which case enjoy Geneva. 

The ticket guys are helpful and speak good English just remember after you get your ticket you have to put it in a machine to validate it before going to the platform to board. Wish I was going but I'm away and could possibly even struggle to see the game . Well pissed off I can tell you

Worth my while booking my train tickets from geneva to basel, or just get them when i land, mate?

cheers. 

If the match goes to extra time you might be pushing your luck getting a train out before the morning.

Last train out from basel is 11pm.

Then it's 5am!

Theres no bloody accommodation left anywhere near basel though.

Me and a nate will be getting a taxi back to Zurich at this stage if anyone wants to split it. Is room for 2 more people.

• Upvote 1

Prices have been rammed but look at Airbnb for somewhere to stay.

I had Mrs Barnesey booking flights when Adam scored but still cost £200 from Luton to Zurich.

Train booked online.

Mrs B very accommodating perhaps because I'm taking the boy with me

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/06/liverpool-shareholders-who-sold-to-hicks-and-gillet-guaranteed-e/

Liverpool fans' fury as Tom Hicks and George Gillett deal will mop up 2,000 Europa League final seats

Liverpool’s Europa League ticket misery has been compounded by the fact club owners Fenway Sports Group must abide by a lifetime guarantee of cup final seats to shareholders who sold their stake to Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The Merseyside club’s distribution of 10,000 tickets includes a 41 per cent ‘contractual supporter allocation’. Part of this refers to around 2,000 tickets for ex-shareholders who secured lifetime priority rights when the club changed hands in 2007.

One of the sweeteners offered by Hicks and Gillett was the protection of these privileges, and despite a legal investigation into the enduring legitimacy of that deal by current owners FSG, the club is locked into it.

That means supporters who may not even have attended a Europa League game – or indeed any Liverpool fixture for the last nine years – can take their place in St Jakob Park on May 18. Indeed, they will have a claim on a cup final ticket for the rest of their lives. Each shareholder is entitled to one ticket for each priority right owned.

It is a reminder that the debris of Hicks and Gillett’s tenure has not yet been shifted.

In 2007, shareholders were urged by the board, led by former chairman David Moores, to accept a £218.9 million takeover from Hicks and Gillett which offered £500 more a share than an earlier, rival bid of £156.7 million by Dubai International Capital.

Part of the attraction – as well as valuing each share at £5000 pounds rather than £4500 – was the retention of these much-sought-after priority tickets when the club reached major finals.

The sales document read: “Liverpool Shareholders who validly accept the offer in respect of the Liverpool shares which they held as at the Priority Tickets Relevant Time, will receive lifetime priority ticket purchasing rights, giving them priority rights to purchase tickets for home cup matches and cup finals.”

Despite the subsequent change of regime and their objection to terms agreed before they moved to Anfield, FSG must abide by that fateful agreement.

In the immediate aftermath of the 2007 takeover, this promise ensured shareholders could attend the Champions League final in Athens, when again Uefa’s choice of venue was criticised. On that occasion only 37,000 tickets in the 63,000 capacity stadium were shared between Liverpool and AC Milan supporters.

Once the Hicks and Gillett regime began to unravel, there was criticism directed at the former board and ex-shareholders for the speed with which they took the Americans’ promises at face value.

Liverpool reaching their first European final in nine years has brought these issues back to the surface, not least because Europa League ticketing is even worse than for the Champions League.

Uefa selected the venue because they try to ensure all member countries get a chance to host a final. The Champions League final is reserved for higher-capacity stadiums, but the Europa League is an opportunity for smaller countries to be hosts.

Basel’s stadium is the biggest in Switzerland, albeit one of the smallest to host a final of such magnitude.

Previous Europa League finals have also failed to sell-out, as was the case when Sevilla met Benfica two years ago. Had Uefa foresaw Liverpool getting so far, they would have played in a bigger venue. Going forward, with so many Champions League-calibre sides now in the tournament, there is likely to be a review of stadium plans.

Jurgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, says it is futile to appeal to Uefa to make a change at such short notice.

There is a possibility Liverpool’s allocation will increase should the Spanish side fail to sell all their tickets. It is understood to be a possibility because Sevilla fans are focusing their travel plans on the Copa Del Rey final versus Barcelona a week later.

Klopp is taking a pragmatic view. “What I learned in life is what I can’t change I don’t think about,” he said.

“It’s a wonderful opportunity and we can’t change the stadium. It’s a wonderful stadium and wonderful city. It’s worth going even if you don’t have a ticket to enjoy the city. We can’t think about the size of the stadium. You will find 30 million who want to see the game. It’s like this.”

Despite Klopp urging fans to travel, Uefa are pleading with Liverpool fans not to head to Switzerland without a ticket.

Worth my while booking my train tickets from geneva to basel, or just get them when i land, mate?

cheers. 

I have been to several places from Zurich on the train and just got my tickets from the station office but i recall having to queue 10/15 minutes on a couple of occasions, The trains are every 30 minutes so that's not an issue but personally i would try and book them online  for this given there maybe quite a scrum . Basel is quite nice I recall although I was there on some boring conference about 15 years ago and didn't get to see much of it

There are worse places to go and watch Liverpool play in a big final and have few days break,

• Upvote 1

I went to the Dortmund, Istanbul & Athens European finals, the cost of them 3 i reckon, cost me around 3k. There & back pretty much the same day. As well as the finance, the journey back from the latter 2 was horrendous. As well as having to take 3 days holiday from work. Can't be arsed with all that shit no more, older & wiser, save the money, have a party in the house or go to town. Hopefully, get the barbie on & make a day of it in the house for me. For the price It'd cost, get myself a fucking good 50/60 inch L.E.D to watch it on.

• Upvote 1

I totally disagree. There's nothing quite like being there and feeling a part of it. I had a week in Istanbul and Athens and spent 4 or 5 days n Dusseldorf and Dortmund. Boss times. Athens was my least favourite, as I didn't have a ticket for the match and wasted far too much time trying to obtain one. I ended up watching it on a shit outdoor screen somewhere. There was far too many poorly behaved, wannabe scals in Athens, too.

I went to the Dortmund, Istanbul & Athens European finals, the cost of them 3 i reckon, cost me around 3k. There & back pretty much the same day. As well as the finance, the journey back from the latter 2 was horrendous. As well as having to take 3 days holiday from work. Can't be arsed with all that shit no more, older & wiser, save the money, have a party in the house or go to town. Hopefully, get the barbie on & make a day of it in the house for me. For the price It'd cost, get myself a fucking good 50/60 inch L.E.D to watch it on.

Let's hope for passion like this in the final.

I totally disagree. There's nothing quite like being there and feeling a part of it. I had a week in Istanbul and Athens and spent 4 or 5 days n Dusseldorf and Dortmund. Boss times. Athens was my least favourite, as I didn't have a ticket for the match and wasted far too much time trying to obtain one. I ended up watching it on a shit outdoor screen somewhere. There was far too many poorly behaved, wannabe scals in Athens, too.

Everyone else just walked in the stadium and Tony Moanero didn't lower himself to the level of the scallywags.

I think the problem in Athens was because it was a couple of years after Istanbul everyone wanted to jump on the bandwagon. Instead of it being your normal football crowd loads of lids decided to leave their usual street corners and come out from under their ticks and head to Athens.

• Downvote 1

Having to hunt for a ticket definitely wastes a lot of time. And with such a small stadium as this time there will probably be less tickets for sale.

In Athens there were a lot of fake tickets going around. Many with these got in to the ground, leading to other fans with genuine tickets being denied entry to the stadium.

• Upvote 1

From memory, mates who went to the game reported a bit more than people just walking into the stadium. I did a recce of the ground 2 or 3 days before the game and realised that there was likely to be trouble. I had my wife with me and didn't want her anywhere near that, so we watched the match elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Having to hunt for a ticket definitely wastes a lot of time. And with such a small stadium as this time there will probably be less tickets for sale.

In Athens there were a lot of fake tickets going around. Many with these got in to the ground, leading to other fans with genuine tickets being denied entry to the stadium.

Captain knows.

In any case, I wasn't prepared to try and gain access to the stadium without tickets. A stadium can only hold so many people and if you try to get in without a ticket, as Captain has pointed out was the case, someone with a ticket will likely miss out. That's not right.

• Upvote 2

Let's hope for passion like this in the final.

You're a bit of a prick aren't you? Because I've stopped going the game at all costs, for reasons I don't have to explain, you superfan cunt. I can assure you, the passion will still be there, even without me. And if your going it will be even better, because you're ace. Arsehole.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In any case, I wasn't prepared to try and gain access to the stadium without tickets. A stadium can only hold so many people and if you try to get in without a ticket, as Captain has pointed out was the case, someone with a ticket will likely miss out. That's not right.

It was really sad to see Liverpool fans deciding to try to bluff their way into the Olympic Stadium, holding up fake tickets and boarding cards. Most of them were really young, but I refuse to believe they'd never heard of Hillsborough.

I wanted to speak up, but as a Norwegian I decided to keep my counsel.

• Upvote 2