You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Picking at the relegation carcass

Worth a punt.

Charlie Austin was supposed to be in January, fixing our striker issues.

£4m. 80k a week. 1 goal.

He scored on his debut at Old Toilet and every journo and pundit was howling about how every other club had made a huge mistake in not snapping him up. Somehow, I don't think we'll be hearing any admissions of wrongness on their part.

• 11 months later...

Looks like Moyeseys boys are already gone so it's any 2 out of Boro, Swansea and Hull

Don't think I'd go near any of Sunderlands players with the exception of Defoe who I reckon would score double figures even as an impact sub here.  People going on about their keeper but when you face as many shots as he does you're bound to save a few

Swansea

Sigurddson obviously, he's too good for them

Alfie Mawson looks a prospect and has played over 120 games as a 23yo centre half on loan  and a decent amount at Swansea

Llorente has done well but don't think he'd suit our style

Boro

No-one springs to mind 

Hull

Again don't see anything there I think would add to our team

In the unlikely event of a Bournemouth collapse Joshua King would top my list, looks handy. 

Looking at their squads and there's just nothing there.

Sigurdsson is the best player, but we don't really need him. I think he'll end up at Everton.

Adama Troare was the only player i can remember us double marking all season, so there's obvious talent there but he seems like a headless chicken. He doesn't seem to have any awareness of what's going on around him either.

Traore is a player made for youtube. Full of dribbles and tricks, but you don't get to see the complete lack of end product and the fact that, after every run, he is utterly fucked for the following 10mins.

Traore is 21 years old and plays for one of the worst attacking teams the Premier League has ever seen. His lack of end product is obvious but he'd have to be superman to get numbers with the kind of football Boro play. 

For a decent attacking side, he'd be a really good low risk/high reward transfer, Imo. 

I was pretty certain I'd already posted the following on this thread at some point so I've gone and found it. In my opinion, the below will never not ring true as there's just too much historical evidence to back it up:

Further to my previous point, if your squad is stacked with players well versed in competing for titles and trophies and that is something your team routinely does, it's not a problem to add a player or two from bottom-of-the-table clubs who are not familiar with such things. If the players have the talent and the hunger, they can add a valuable extra to your squad. Hopefully they'll also see what it takes to compete for things at the top level by training and playing alongside those who already do that for you and slowly become experienced winners with knowhow themselves. And the cycle continues.

The problem is when you routinely shop at that end of the market and end up with a squad full of talented players but little knowhow as to how to get the job done at the highest level. Especially for a team like Liverpool where they are always expected to do so. The pressure is high but the knowhow and reassurance that they're doing things the right way is not there. There is always that element of doubt and it will show in the performances and results.

Don't understand why we would focus specifically on relegated teams. Don't seem to get any money knocked off anyway.

Laughed this morning at Burnley saying that if they don't get megabucks for Keane this summer they will force him to stay & let him run his contract down over the last 14 months.

Of course you will.

Andrew Robertson as a left back would be a good signing.

Think Llorente could be a decent option as he's definitely leaving Swansea and knows where the back of the net is.

That's it really. This year is not like last year when Newcastle had a few good players but were just badly managed. The teams this year are genuinely crap. 

• Upvote 1