You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Picking at the relegation carcass

2 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

We absolutely can it’s just that we’re hampered by *COVID/lack of champions league football/need to bring the wage bill down first/ need to sell a top player first/our own burgeoning sense of overwhelming cleverness/can’t block pathways*

*delete where applicable.

Yeah, I guess. You wonder whether they just would have made excuses not to spend the money even in normal circumstances. Last week when they leaked to Melissa Reddy they were gonna sign a generational talent, but for Covid, most of us probably rolled our eyes and said "yeah right."

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yeah, I guess. You wonder whether they just would have made excuses not to spend the money even in normal circumstances. Last week when they leaked to Melissa Reddy they were gonna sign a generational talent, but for Covid, most of us probably rolled our eyes and said "yeah right."

Of coarse we wouldn’t have signed a ‘generational talent’. We’re not in the business of signing superstars, we make them if we’re lucky but never sign them.

Jayden Bogle from Sheffield United - Decent young right-back who has made 100+ senior appearances in his young career to date. Not bad for a 20-year-old.

Seen him more when he was at Derby when Wilson was there on loan. Good pace and liked to get forward. Defending needed work then and probably will still need work now.

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

That Andersen lad at Fulham looked a tidy player whenever I’ve seen him. Well at least he’s played more games this season than Konate has the past two seasons.

Andersen was terrible at Lyon but given players like Tielemans and Raphinha have been good in England when they were average in France, maybe he's actually good. Just shows the quality of Ligue 1.

• 8 months later...
28 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Maybe a bit early to start this, but already it's looking like any three from four (or, if we wish really hard, five). 

Is there anyone at 

Burnley

Watford

Norwich

Newcastle

Everton

who would add to what we've already got?

The Sarr ship has sailed. Saint-Maximin is the other stand-out option, but Newcastle won't go down and we don't need him, anyway.

I don't think there's anyone else worth considering. 

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

Max Aarons from Norwich, can gcover both full back positions and he's English for the homegrown quota. Would probably cost around £15m

Sarr may have been on the clubs radar prior to us signing Diaz but he seems to have lots of games where he doesn't turn up at all so I doubt we would even pursue him. 

Aarons is a decent shout. We do lack cover at RB but Klopp may well be happy to have Gomez and a youth player (Bradley?) there. 

looking at our squad we just need better midfield options or ones that stay fit for a start.

There's going to be some juggling of home grown players as well to get the squad up to the required number.

Start of the season we had 7 home grown players in the squad and had to name a reduced 24 man squad as a result of not being able to name the full 8, this was reduced further to 23 because of Phillips going out on loan in January.

Next season we'll probably lose Phillips and Milner to take us down to 5 but Neco Williams and Curtis Jones will qualify to take there place and bring us back to 7 with a max squad of 24.

Neco Williams future is up in the air and if he does well at Fulham I can see a permanent move if/when they're promoted which will take us to 6 HGP's and a 23 man squad. Joe Gomez's future will also complicate the issue if he pushes for a move.

We have a full quota of 17 non-HGP players at the moment so will need to move out the likes of Karius, Divock, Adrian and Minamino.

Any of those clubs have a competent home grown keeper or promising prospect in the 21-22 year old range?

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Any of those clubs have a competent home grown keeper or promising prospect in the 21-22 year old range?

My Leeds supporting friends would have you believe their U23’s are better than the Brazil 1970 side. From this we can conclude they have nobody worth considering. 

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Gelhardt and Hjelde are supposed to be decent aren't they?

I’ve had a few discussions about Gelhardt. They think he’s the second coming. Looks to have talent but I question why he was never picked up by either of the two clubs in the City of his birth. 

Looks at though he’ll have a career, but at the very top level? We’ll see.

Haven't seen that much of Hjelde. Could be good but they do have a habit of overhyping their young players, the fans do anyway. 

Archie Gray played against us the other night. He’s the grandson of Frank Gray, related to Eddie Gray and his dad, Andy, was also a pro. At just fifteen, playing for the U23’s is some achievement so he might be worth keeping an eye on. At that age it could go either way though. I remember Jordan Rossiter being called the next Stevie G. at a similar age. 

I like Dwight McNeil at Burnley. I think he could easily be turned into a Milner type utility player to add depth to the squad. I reckon he can kick on from his current level at Burnley and develop into a reliable squad player for a top 4/6 side.

Young and homegrown too, so that's an obvious tick. Over 100 Premier League appearances, so good experience of the league despite only being 22.

2 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

I like Dwight McNeil at Burnley. I think he could easily be turned into a Milner type utility player to add depth to the squad. I reckon he can kick on from his current level at Burnley and develop into a reliable squad player for a top 4/6 side.

Young and homegrown too, so that's an obvious tick. Over 100 Premier League appearances, so good experience of the league despite only being 22.

Have been impressed also by Cornet , and we could give him the 99 shirt.

• Upvote 1