You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Picking at the relegation carcass

5 minutes ago, Boss said:

He plays on the other side. I can see it happening if the contract negotiations with Mo don't get sorted by the summer.

Yeah I know he plays on the other side it just seems like a big outlay on the attack while everything is still up in the air. There was talk at the end of January of Matheus Cunha as well so if there's truth in any of these reports it'd suggest a rip up of the front three rather than evolution.

I think the club want to keep Salah and would let Firmino/Mane leave if the right offers came in so Raphinha would make less sense than someone like Jarrod Bowen in that instance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Yeah I know he plays on the other side it just seems like a big outlay on the attack while everything is still up in the air. There was talk at the end of January of Matheus Cunha as well so if there's truth in any of these reports it'd suggest a rip up of the front three rather than evolution.

I'm only speculating here, but I think the initial plan was to sell one of Firmino, Mane and Salah when their price was high and re-invest. Covid put an end to that. It all depends on whether Mo accepts the lower wage offer because I can't see us conceding to his demands. If not, then Raphinha and Bellingham would make sense if Mo is leaving. The succession planning for Firmino and Mane has already taken place.

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

I think the club want to keep Salah and would let Firmino/Mane leave if the right offers came in so Raphinha would make less sense than someone like Jarrod Bowen in that instance.

Bowen and Raphinha are both left-footers playing on the right.

If we're concerned about the homegrown aspect of the squad we might be better off paying the English tax for Bowen, although I think Raphinha is probably the slightly better player.

Said it in another thread when he signed, but statswise Diaz profiles as a Mo replacement, just playing off the other wing.

5 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Bowen and Raphinha are both left-footers playing on the right.

If we're concerned about the homegrown aspect of the squad we might be better off paying the English tax for Bowen, although I think Raphinha is probably the slightly better player.

Said it in another thread when he signed, but statswise Diaz profiles as a Mo replacement, just playing off the other wing.

Think Raphinha is the better player as well but if we keep Salah then Bowen's versatility will be more of a benefit, Raphinha has played (almost) exclusively on the right for Leeds (doesn't mean he can't play elsewhere of course) whereas Bowen has been used in a few positions for West Ham and there's the opportunity to play him upfront if we need to as back up to Jota in the event both Mane and Firmino left.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not one for us, but been impressed by McNeil now he's moved over to the right, showing how good he is turning infield as well. Still think Klopp could have turned him into a quality midfielder in our system, but probably a bit late for that now.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

That Cornet from Burnley looks lively. Whenever I watch them he's involved in goals, winning pens etc. 

Lots of 99er jokes as well. 

Has a release clause of £17.5 million if they go down.

Can't really see him fitting in here though?

3 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

That Cornet from Burnley looks lively. Whenever I watch them he's involved in goals, winning pens etc. 

Lots of 99er jokes as well. 

Flakey at best.

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Not necessarily all suited to us but Kalvin Phillips, Raphina, Joe Gelhardt and Leo Hjelde.

My Leeds mates are not that all in on Kelvin Phillips. A good premier league player, not a great one. One reckons Villa are about his level if they go down and he leaves. That might be a bit harsh but he’s not good enough for us, particularly at the money he would cost. 

Raphina is obviously a talent, probably heading to Barcelona. His attitude has been a bit questionable of late as well.

Gelhardt is one of those who seems to have obtained mythical status as a player, mostly on the basis of not getting selected. Certainly has talent but I doubt we’d go anywhere near. 

Early days for Leo Hjelde but the noises are very promising. Definitely one to keep an eye on. 

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Raphina is brilliant, Leeds would be down a long time ago without him. Klopp would have him in Balon'dor contention by 2024.

Been bang average every time I’ve watched him.  Then again, Leeds have been shit and conceding bucket loads all season, looking like it’ll lead to their relegation.  Didn’t stop folks telling me how great they were.

Raphinha is a bit like Tielemans for me. Wasn't all that in France, then comes to England and is better but still not that great. 

I think he's good and has a lot of talent, but I would question whether he's an actual goal scorer or someone who just scores pens, freekicks and long shots from time to time. He is relatively creative, so there's that at least. I would also question his effort in the second part of this season, where maybe saying he's quit on Leeds is harsh, but he's not looked like he's tried very hard either. 

If he does have a low release clause with relegation, then he's a potentially a good opportunity, but we also have little space for someone like him unless we have a big departure. 

I didn't used to want Raphinha at all, but I've mellowed a bit on that since we got Diaz, who is a bit more similar of a profile to him. It depends on fitting the style of play, not on the quality of the player. We could use another left footer as well. But it depends on departures anyway. 

4 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

My Leeds mates are not that all in on Kelvin Phillips. A good premier league player, not a great one. One reckons Villa are about his level if they go down and he leaves. That might be a bit harsh but he’s not good enough for us, particularly at the money he would cost. 

Raphina is obviously a talent, probably heading to Barcelona. His attitude has been a bit questionable of late as well.

Gelhardt is one of those who seems to have obtained mythical status as a player, mostly on the basis of not getting selected. Certainly has talent but I doubt we’d go anywhere near. 

Early days for Leo Hjelde but the noises are very promising. Definitely one to keep an eye on. 

I'm with you on Phillips, at the time he was being touted to all the big clubs for 50 mill + I wouldn't have gone anywhere near him because, for the cost, he doesn't bring enough to the team that we don't already have in the other midfielders. If he had a stupid release clause however he'd add decent depth to the midfield even for a season or two before we flipped him for cash (though it'd be dependent on who leaves).

Raphina - at 25 mill it'd be daft not to consider it.

Gelhardt - Pure punt at the right price, no real opinion on him.

Hjelde - punt for the future.

• Upvote 1