You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Picking at the relegation carcass

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This might be hyperbole, but I've rarely seen a British/Irish midfielder, or whatever he is, have such composure on the ball, be so good technically in tight spaces and have such perfect weight of pass.

You’re obviously too young to remember that three week period when Jack Wilshere was the best player in the world. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

You’re obviously too young to remember that three week period when Jack Wilshere was the best player in the world. 

Yeah, I liked Jacky Wilsh too. But he came across as a short guy who is angry all the time because he's short and he didn't have the mentality to be great. Jacky G has more moxy. He's gonna be a top, top, top player.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Wilshere and Grealish are the same size no?

Jacky G has really only played a handful of games in the big league

Plus we don't really need to be picking at anything - if I was going to single out a young English midfielder for us it would be Maddison

Hot take alert: I think Grealish is better than Maddison. Not a lot of people have the guts to say it, but I do.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hot take alert: I think Grealish is better than Maddison. Not a lot of people have the guts to say it, but I do.

I agree, Grealish is excellent and the better player.

I talk to a Villa supporting mate regularly about Jack and the game in general and the one thing that will likely stop him from excelling at the very top is stamina.

Even at 24 he's a 70 minutes a game footballer, but when he is on the pitch, I think he would be excellent for us.

He's settled down and matured now and is a leader in that Villa side. In a club with a very good squad where rotation is more likely, the stamina issue may not be such a problem.

I've watched Grealish and Maddison closely for a couple of seasons now and Jack is the better player, by a small distance.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I agree, Grealish is excellent and the better player.

I talk to a Villa supporting mate regularly about Jack and the game in general and the one thing that will likely stop him from excelling at the very top is stamina.

Even at 24 he's a 70 minutes a game footballer, but when he is on the pitch, I think he would be excellent for us.

He's settled down and matured now and is a leader in that Villa side. In a club with a very good squad where rotation is more likely, the stamina issue may not be such a problem.

I've watched Grealish and Maddison closely for a couple of seasons now and Jack is the better player, by a small distance.

I don’t know. Maddison had better end product in the PL last year than Grealish did in the Championship. Moreover, Grealish’s only started scoring this season when played at FWL, a position he’d never ever play here. If we were to go for either player, Maddison would be the safer bet. 

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I don’t know. Maddison had better end product in the PL last year than Grealish did in the Championship. Grealish’s only started scoring this year when played at FWL, a position he’d never play here. If we were to go for either player, Maddison would be the safer bet. 

Maddison has shown more in the final third, but I think Grealish is the more complete player. To me, he has shown more ability to play further back in midfield than Maddison. Better ball retention ability, doesn't hide, always wants the ball, creates chances starting from deep.

Also, they have very similar chance creations stats even though Grealish plays in a worse team. But I don't think you could go wrong with getting either, although I doubt we would go for either.

I prefer Grealish to Maddison. The latter has been excellent in a very good team surrounded by good players. Grealish on the other hand IS Aston Villa and they'd still be in the Championship without him. Goes without saying I hope we can get him, I reckon he'd become a world beater under Klopp.

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Agreed.

The next Steven Ireland.

A blast from the past. He was some player. If he clearly wasn't such a dickhead, he could have been excellent.

On Grealish, I agree about his talent. He seems like a bit of a twat, but looks like he backs himself big time. That confidence might help him make the move to a trophy chasing club.

Guest Pistonbroke

Grealish will end up at Chelsea imo, the pull of London and would fit in with what Lampard is trying to do there now. Plus they are going to have a ton of cash spare when their transfer ban ends.