You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs

SlugTrail

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

What are their options? Allegri’s gone back to Juve. Maybe Rodgers but Spurs sans Kane would probably be a step down from Leicester?

I don’t think Potter needs me to make an excuse for him. Stats aren’t everything, but there’s something to be said about Brighton having the fifth highest expected points last season, especially when the same metric predicted the make-up of the top four teams spot on. Putting stats aside, if you watched them play last season, the amount of games they dominated, and then lost because their forwards couldn’t score were ridiculous.

As I said, we won't agree. If you think the measure of a team and their manager is expected points, again that's fine. Personally I would suggest the teams they were playing knew you could let them have the ball, drag them out, they won't hurt you and you'll get your chances. It's why their expected position is not touching the same reality of their actual poisuton. Their points and goals for would suggest they're pretty easy to play against. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, aRdja said:

What are their options? Allegri’s gone back to Juve. Maybe Rodgers but Spurs sans Kane would probably be a step down from Leicester?

I don’t think Potter needs me to make excuses for him. Stats aren’t everything, but there’s something to be said about Brighton having the fifth highest expected points last season with Championship level squad, especially when the same metric predicted the make-up of the top four teams spot on. Putting stats aside, if you watched them play last season, the amount of games they dominated, and then lost because their forwards couldn’t score was ridiculous.

You don’t score you don’t win. That was us a few year back and earlier this year.

26 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

This. Why would he want to go there. Leicester are better.

Rodgers is lining himself up for the City job after Pep. That's the noise's I've heard from a few journalists. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

As I said, we won't agree. If you think the measure of a team and their manager is expected points, again that's fine. Personally I would suggest the teams they were playing knew you could let them have the ball, drag them out, they won't hurt you and you'll get your chances. It's why their expected position is not touching the same reality of their actual poisuton. Their points and goals for would suggest they're pretty easy to play against. 

I think we are closer than you think Barry. I am in agreement with you that they struggled to punish teams. What I’m trying to help you understand is that it wasn’t because they didn’t create good quality chances, it’s because they didn’t have good finishers. The Expected Points metric helps illustrate that. If they had Harry Kane or Aguero leading their line, chances are they’d be playing midweek football next season.

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I think we are closer than you think Barry. I am in agreement with you that they struggled to punish teams. What I’m trying to make you understand is that it wasn’t because they didn’t create good quality chances, it’s because they didn’t have good finishers. The Expected Points metric helps illustrate that. If they had Harry Kane or Aguero leading their line, chances are they’d be playing midweek football next season.

Horlicks!

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

I think we are closer than you think Barry. I am in agreement with you that they struggled to punish teams. What I’m trying to help you understand is that it wasn’t because they didn’t create good quality chances, it’s because they didn’t have good finishers. The Expected Points metric helps illustrate that. If they had Harry Kane or Aguero leading their line, chances are they’d be playing midweek football next season.

When you're 5th from bottom or whatever, you can have lads who help your midfield, help you dominate the games. But they won't be the same lads who score. Buy yourself a real goalscorer, then you'd almost be sure to lose in the build up. Football is a fine balancing act. I just think Brighton may play a different style of football than before, but they're every bit as flawed as under Hughton. I think that other fat headed cunt at Newcastle proves that - they choose to do it the other way, they defensively control games, have few chances but they're pretty good at taking them when they come along. 

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

When you're 5th from bottom or whatever, you can have lads who help your midfield, help you dominate the games. But they won't be the same lads who score. Buy yourself a real goalscorer, then you'd almost be sure to lose in the build up. Football is a fine balancing act. I just think Brighton may play a different style of football than before, but they're every bit as flawed as under Hughton. I think that other fat headed cunt at Newcastle proves that - they choose to do it the other way, they defensively control games, have few chances but they're pretty good at taking them when they come along. 

You can of course on paper, but no other team in the bottom half of the table dominates the ball like Brighton, but that’s kind of besides the point, as a team they created good quality chances and all they needed was a better finisher than a run-of-the-mill Championship striker. I’m not not sure Newcastle is the best example to bring in, Brighton had much stronger defence, conceding 16 goals less than Newcastle. When you’re looking for a manager and you don’t have limitless cash, you’d really want the people making the calls to look beyond the league table. In Potter’s Brighton you have a team who plays good football, creates good quality chances and is very difficult to score against. If you were a Spurs fan then you’d hope Levy wouldn’t dismiss all of that just because they finished 16th, especially when the expected points metric tells you they’re they were desperately unlucky to finish that low. 

• Downvote 1

Graham Potter took over at a Swedish fourth division club with a small budget, got them as high as fifth in the top division, won them the Cup, and brought them to the knockout stages of the Europa League.

Whatever else you might say about him at Brighton (where I personally think he's done well), that's a brilliant achievement.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Leeds - better players, better style, better manager, better results. Straight up from the Championship. They will be looking to get into Europe - Brighton will be looking to not get relegated.

I agree Bielsa would be great for them. Big fan of his football. Not sure he’d want to move to Spurs though.