You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs

SlugTrail

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

The smart move would be to give Graham Potter a go. He’s talented coach. Brighton’s squad bar a couple of players have no business being in the Premier League, and he has made them tough to beat and they play good football.

Loads of people seem to say that. I don't see how they're any different to when Hughton was the manager except they fuck about with it a bit more with the defenders. They were a boring team that rarely scored but survived on some decent team structure. And they're about the same now. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Loads of people seem to say that. I don't see how they're any different to when Hughton was the manager except they fuck about with it a bit more with the defenders. They were a boring team that rarely scored but survived on some decent team structure. And they're about the same now. 

They’re much better on the ball now. They outplayed us twice last year for example, probably deserved more than the four points they showed for it.

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

They’re much better on the ball now. They outplayed us twice last year for example, probably deserved more than the four points they showed for it.

Everton outplayed bus last year. I'm not that's a measure of anything. And it took a corrupt pen for them to equalise at their place and they beat us at anfield in our worst run of home form in the entire history of the club. As I said in my previous post, they fuck about at the back more. I don't see how that's altered anything about them other than they fuck about at the back. They've not even become the new Bournemouth. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Everton outplayed bus last year. I'm not that's a measure of anything. And it took a corrupt pen for them to equalise at their place and they beat us at anfield in our worst run of home form in the entire history of the club. As I said in my previous post, they fuck about at the back more. I don't see how that's altered anything about them other than they fuck about at the back. They've not even become the new Bournemouth. 

Everton’s squad is probably several levels above Brighton for one. Everton didn’t outplay us at Goodison Park. Brighton outplayed us both home and away, and should’ve really had 6 points to show for their effort, and their squad is probably mid-table championship level. I mean if you want to take a reductionist approach, I suppose “they fuck about at the back more” works. You could probably describe Pep’s impact on City the same way.

9 hours ago, aRdja said:

Everton’s squad is probably several levels above Brighton for one. Everton didn’t outplay us at Goodison Park. Brighton outplayed us both home and away, and should’ve really had 6 points to show for their effort, and their squad is probably mid-table championship level. I mean if you want to take a reductionist approach, I suppose “they fuck about at the back more” works. You could probably describe Pep’s impact on City the same way.

But city's results have improved under pep. And they're more successful. Brighton are still a team who can't score or keep themselves away from a relegation fight. The had worse players when Hughton was in charge and they were litterally championship players then as they were the players who came up. Brighton have added to the squad under potter, so it's no longer a championship squad, yet results seem the same. And they're still fucking boring to watch, just a whole different type of boring. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But city's results have improved under pep. And they're more successful. Brighton are still a team who can't score or keep themselves away from a relegation fight. The had worse players when Hughton was in charge and they were litterally championship players then as they were the players who came up. Brighton have added to the squad under potter, so it's no longer a championship squad, yet results seem the same. And they're still fucking boring to watch, just a whole different type of boring. 

You could argue Pep hasn’t won any trophy worth more than both Mancini and Pellegrini, despite adding £1bn worth of players. Anws, Potter spent his money on Championship players really, and made them play very nice football on a regular basis outplaying the defending champions twice last season. If you look at their expected points alone they would’ve finished fifth last season. If I was in charge of Spurs, I wouldn’t waste my time looking to bring in Jurgen Klopp the CL and PL winner, I’d be looking for a Jurgen Klopp from his Mainz days, and Graham Potter is the closest you can find to that profile. 

• Downvote 1

Brighton didn't outplay us at Anfield. They had a gameplan - a gameplan we've seen hundreds of times - and they executed it well but outplayed us? We've beaten that type of system dozens of times when we're at 50% of our best or more. We happened to be at about 3% of our best at that time so it worked.

Doesn't mean I don't think Potter isn't a decent manager - he is, and Spurs could do a lot worse in their current situation. But claiming he came up with some daring, never-tried-before strategy to beat us and then played us off the park is a fallacy.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Manny said:

Brighton didn't outplay us at Anfield. They had a gameplan - a gameplan we've seen hundreds of times - and they executed it well but outplayed us? We've beaten that type of system dozens of times when we're at 50% of our best or more. We happened to be at about 3% of our best at that time so it worked.

Doesn't mean I don't think Potter isn't a decent manager - he is, and Spurs could do a lot worse in their current situation. But claiming he came up with some daring, never-tried-before strategy to beat us and then played us off the park is a fallacy.

They had more both shots on goal and more shots on target than us in that game. They fully deserved the three points. The scoreline flattered us.

• Downvote 1

Timing and luck are so important when it comes to clubs getting decent managers. Spurs seem to have fuck all choice at the moment and they look like they are scrambling around with no plan as to who to appoint.

I'm really not looking forward to the summer we have to replace Klopp and just hope we've lined up a decent replacement 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mark M said:

Timing and luck are so important when it comes to clubs getting decent managers. Spurs seem to have fuck all choice at the moment and they look like they are scrambling around with no plan as to who to appoint.

I'm really not looking forward to the summer we have to replace Klopp and just hope we've lined up a decent replacement 

I'm looking forward to the echo reports saying there are no plans to replace Klopp. Ljinders is all FSG need

22 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

hahahahaha needed a laugh , Potter is like Klopp fuckin hell 

He probably won’t ever reach Klopp’s level, but if you’re looking for a promising up and coming manager, e.g., someone with a similar profile to Klopp back when he was at Mainz, then there aren’t many better options than him. Who would you go for?

30 minutes ago, Mark M said:

So you're saying we should get Potter now before Spurs do?

34 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Spurs were daft to sack Mourinho without a replacement lined up. We can argue whether they were daft to appoint him in the first place and whether he was the right man but, Levy has royally fucked up and believes the hype in himself too much.

I dont think anyone looks forward to Jurgen calling time but it will come one day.

33 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I'm looking forward to the echo reports saying there are no plans to replace Klopp. Ljinders is all FSG need

Apart from the shits and giggles factor, I couldnt give a fuck what the Echo reports and dont understand why people are really bothered about a paper that's part of the Mirror group.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

You could argue Pep hasn’t won any trophy worth more than both Mancini and Pellegrini, despite adding £1bn worth of players. Anws, Potter spent his money on Championship players really, and made them play very nice football on a regular basis outplaying the defending champions twice last season. If you look at their expected points alone they would’ve finished fifth last season. If I was in charge of Spurs, I wouldn’t waste my time looking to bring in Jurgen Klopp the CL and PL winner, I’d be looking for a Jurgen Klopp from his Mainz days, and Graham Potter is the closest you can find to that profile. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If you think potter can make an excuse that he's got championship players because he bought them whilst at a premier League club, that's fine. I think it's a cop out. 

As for the pep hasn't done better than Mancini stuff, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that too. The bloke has twice won the league with the most points ever. If you can't see that's different, good for you. We clearly value different things. 

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If you think potter can make an excuse that he's got championship players because he bought them whilst at a premier League club, that's fine. I think it's a cop out. 

As for the pep hasn't done better than Mancini stuff, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that too. The bloke has twice won the league with the most points ever. If you can't see that's different, good for you. We clearly value different things. 

What are their options? Allegri’s gone back to Juve. Maybe Rodgers but Spurs sans Kane would probably be a step down from Leicester?

I don’t think Potter needs me to make excuses for him. Stats aren’t everything, but there’s something to be said about Brighton having the fifth highest expected points last season with Championship level squad, especially when the same metric predicted the make-up of the top four teams spot on. Putting stats aside, if you watched them play last season, the amount of games they dominated, and then lost because their forwards couldn’t score was ridiculous.