You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs

SlugTrail

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Thats a big part of it - the players Brighton has after some years in the Prem are worse than what Leeds came up with. 

There are a few Leeds players who could contribute for us - maybe Bissouma from Brighton could imo.

Brighton were "better" with Murray upfront.

Yep agreed, if Brighton had Bamford they would’ve finished in the top half.

13 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Come on Barry you’re better than that. I know you are.

Possession is one thing but they created quality chances in that if they had good finishers they would’ve finished much higher than they did. The expected points metric tells you that. It tells you very little about possession so I’m not sure sure why you keep banging that drum. I’m more than happy for you to put Steve Bruce name forward for the role but give me your reasons. I personally don’t think he’s half as talented as Graham Potter. He sets his team up a lot more negatively than Potter, yet his team managed to concede 16 more goals last season. 

I'm not getting into the bamford stuff. 

I know you enjoy Brighton and Potter. Their lack of ability to score is firmly at the door of their manager imo. You want to see it otherwise and that's ok. Our points of view are different. All the points you have made I was aware of before you made them. They didn't alter my view then and you reiterating them hasn't now. I'm pretty sure my point of view that theyre still boring but in a whole new way and just as ineffective in the only aims of football, scoring goals and winning games, isn't going to alter your point of view because you think the lack of goals isn't on the manager and you clearly don't think they're boring. 

I'm really happy to accept in this situation the discussion can't go any further. We need to agree to disagree. 

I think Potter is a better manager than Nuno but Nuno has the benefit of having his big agent buddy which gives his club advantages in the transfer market. Brighton play better football than Wolves while having shit strikers. 

Spurs will probably recruit well with Nuno at manager. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

I think Potter is a better manager than Nuno but Nuno has the benefit of having his big agent buddy. Brighton play better football than Wolves while having shit strikers. 

Does Potter not take the blame for the shit strikers ? Been there for two years and signed last season Danny Welbeck to solve the issue he has with goals!! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mark M said:

Does Potter not take the blame for the shit strikers ? Been there for two years and signed last season Danny Welbeck to solve the issue he has with goals!! 

Managers don't all have the power to sign players. I don't know what level of authority he has there. 

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Managers don't all have the power to sign players. I don't know what level of authority he has there. 

Hes a much better manager than I thought if its the owners giving him these shit strikers to work with.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

There are loads of clubs where managers simply work with a Director of Football and they just coach the team. 

So its the Director of footballs fault for the shit strikers. Ok thanks for clearing up. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Potter got an awful lot of praise for the players he brought in in his 1st summer. I think he has a pretty decent influence. 

I haven't seen that praise. 

To me, Potter, Howe, Dyche are all more impressive than someone like Nuno, but Nuno will get the Spurs job and bigger jobs because he has connections, notably with Mendes. Managers like Howe, Dyche and Potter's influence is sort of blurry. You don't know if they're responsible for the not that great transfers they make or not. They don't come in a package with anybody. So you're making more of a leap when hiring those 3 than you would someone like Nuno. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

It could be. Don't know why you're acting cocky about this. You don't know either. 

Not being cocky at all. Just pulled you up on your original post that Potter is better than Nuno even though he's got shit strikers to work with as you said. He's got to take some blame on that surely after two seasons. So maybe he's not as good a manager as you think ?

4 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Not being cocky at all. Just pulled you up on your original post that Potter is better than Nuno even though he's got shit strikers to work with as you said. He's got to take some blame on that surely after two seasons. So maybe he's not as good a manager as you think ?

Yes, and I said maybe he's not responsible. You know, a bit like how these days managers aren't responsible for some signings because this isn't the 90's when managers signed every player. 

Or he could be responsible for signing Welbeck, I don't know, that's not really out in the public.

But with Nuno, you know he does fuck all of that because it's mostly Jorge Mendes that brings players to clubs, and that's a safer and better proposition if you're someone like Daniel Levy. 

My opinion is based on the fact, Nuno plays crap football and Potter doesn't. Potter is also not helped by one of the most powerful agents in football. 

3 minutes ago, Mark M said:

I bet you put leftover KFC gravy on a roast dinner.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I haven't seen that praise. 

To me, Potter, Howe, Dyche are all more impressive than someone like Nuno, but Nuno will get the Spurs job and bigger jobs because he has connections, notably with Mendes. Managers like Howe, Dyche and Potter's influence is sort of blurry. You don't know if they're responsible for the not that great transfers they make or not. They don't come in a package with anybody. So you're making more of a leap when hiring those 3 than you would someone like Nuno. 

I used to have a client who's a Brighton fan. He would send me article after article praising potter, especially around that first half a season. 

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

But with Nuno, you know he does fuck all of that because it's mostly Jorge Mendes that brings players to clubs, and that's a safer and better proposition if you're someone like Daniel Levy. 

My opinion is based on the fact, Nuno plays crap football and Potter doesn't. Potter is also not helped by one of the most powerful agents in football. 

You have no idea who does what at Wolves - the same at Brighton. Neither do I.

On Mendes - at first I assumed you meant club (Wolves), but then he does have world class players at other sides right - so it is hardly an exclusive. Nuno has a very long relationship with Mendes (back to the mid 90's ). Those kind of relationships run throughout world football. It has always been a big part of the game - who has influence to bring in players. My guess is Nuno - read Wolves - had very few options from that stable of talent but have chosen wisely. Plus I am not sure all of the Portuguese contingent are Mendes' lads. Moutinho probably played with Nuno.

Patricio was a steal. Nuno brought Neves with him - there is no doubt they all know each other but Mendes is not giving shit away.

Nuno with Wolves in the first year is more impressive than this last season with Bielsa/Leeds. They got in to Europe - if Jimenez doesn't get wrecked they probably would have again.

Both are better managers than that trio and that will show in the opportunities going forward.

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You have no idea who does what at Wolves - the same at Brighton. Neither do I.

On Mendes - at first I assumed you meant club (Wolves), but then he does have world class players at other sides right - so it is hardly an exclusive. Nuno has a very long relationship with Mendes (back to the mid 90's ). Those kind of relationships run throughout world football. It has always been a big part of the game - who has influence to bring in players. My guess is Nuno - read Wolves - had very few options from that stable of talent but have chosen wisely. Plus I am not sure all of the Portuguese contingent are Mendes' lads. Moutinho probably played with Nuno.

Patricio was a steal. Nuno brought Neves with him - there is no doubt they all know each other but Mendes is not giving shit away.

Nuno with Wolves in the first year is more impressive than this last season with Bielsa/Leeds. They got in to Europe - if Jimenez doesn't get wrecked they probably would have again.

Both are better managers than that trio and that will show in the opportunities going forward.

That's fine. I just don’t think what he did at Wolves is impressive given the fact he had the ressources to get Diogo Jota and Neves in the fucking Championship.

He was playing 5 at the back, counter attack with a talented group. I'm just not gonna find that impressive, sorry.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He was playing 5 at the back, counter attack with a talented group. I'm just not gonna find that impressive, sorry.

What - in the Championship? They scored at will and racked up the points.

Then they came up and were immediately a formidable side playing 5 at the back and counter attacking with talent. Fuckin hell, that is the recipe for second tier sides., and it is not easy.

Jota/Neves -- they were 19-20 year old kids. Porto is full of those. Good eye to pick them.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

What - in the Championship? They scored at will and racked up the points.

Then they came up and were immediately a formidable side playing 5 at the back and counter attacking with talent. Fuckin hell, that is the recipe for second tier sides., and it is not easy.

In the Premier League. I think his football at Wolves stunk.