You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs

SlugTrail

Possession is bang overrated for most teams in this league. Most teams don't want  the  ball and want to sit deep and plsy on the counter. Brighton are middle of the table for it aswell, think its about 51%. There's only 2/3% separating most of the league anyway. He's done a good there but they are no better than Southampton. Whst Rodgers did with Swansea who had just got Promoted was far better

Possession 

Brighton 50.7

Swan 54.4

Shots 

Bri 12.8

Swan 13.3

Pass acc

Bri 81.3

Swan 84.4

Goals for

Bri 40

Swan 47

Against

Bri 46

Swan 51

Thats with a team just promoted bot a team in its 4th year of top flight. 

25 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Graham Potter took over at a Swedish fourth division club with a small budget, got them as high as fifth in the top division, won them the Cup, and brought them to the knockout stages of the Europa League.

Whatever else you might say about him at Brighton (where I personally think he's done well), that's a brilliant achievement.

Interesting 

On 17 April 2018, club chairman (also the director of football) Daniel Kindberg was taken into custody by the Swedish Economic Crime Authority, suspected on probable cause of serious fraud and for assisting in serious gross accounting violations.[12]Together with two other people, Kindberg is suspected of submitting false invoices in several companies, according to the prosecutor.[13] Several of these companies have strong ties to Östersunds FK and the club's sponsorship deals.[14][15] Several years before, in 2014, Kindberg was subject to criticism when Östersundshem, the municipal housing company where he was the CEO, became a big sponsor of Östersunds FK.[16][17]

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Possession is bang overrated for most teams in this league. Most teams don't want  the  ball and want to sit deep and plsy on the counter. Brighton are middle of the table for it aswell, think its about 51%. There's only 2/3% separating most of the league anyway. He's done a good there but they are no better than Southampton. Whst Rodgers did with Swansea who had just got Promoted was far better

Possession 

Brighton 50.7

Swan 54.4

Shots 

Bri 12.8

Swan 13.3

Pass acc

Bri 81.3

Swan 84.4

Goals for

Bri 40

Swan 47

Against

Bri 46

Swan 51

Thats with a team just promoted bot a team in its 4th year of top flight. 

Rodgers is a good manager. I’m not arguing against that. He was a bit green in his time with us, but he’s proven himself now, with his achievements at Celtic, also over the last couple of years by finishing ahead of a number of big clubs. As I said earlier though, Spurs sans Kane would be a step down from where he currently is, no?

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

It is an interesting story. If only richer and more prominent clubs in other countries were held to the same standards...

25 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Rodgers is a good manager. I’m not arguing against that. He was a bit green in his time with us, but he’s proven himself now, with his achievements at Celtic, also over the last couple of years by finishing ahead of a number of big clubs. As I said earlier though, Spurs sans Kane would be a step down from where he currently is, no?

Spurs have been utterly fucked by the new stadium/covid combo.

Which is nice.

6 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Graham Potter took over at a Swedish fourth division club with a small budget, got them as high as fifth in the top division, won them the Cup, and brought them to the knockout stages of the Europa League.

Whatever else you might say about him at Brighton (where I personally think he's done well), that's a brilliant achievement.

Would those methods transfer to Malmo or Neuchatel Xamax though?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

You can of course on paper, but no other team in the bottom half of the table dominates the ball like Brighton, but that’s kind of besides the point, as a team they created good quality chances and all they needed was a better finisher than a run-of-the-mill Championship striker. I’m not not sure Newcastle is the best example to bring in, Brighton had much stronger defence, conceding 16 goals less than Newcastle. When you’re looking for a manager and you don’t have limitless cash, you’d really want the people making the calls to look beyond the league table. In Potter’s Brighton you have a team who plays good football, creates good quality chances and is very difficult to score against. If you were a Spurs fan then you’d hope Levy wouldn’t dismiss all of that just because they finished 16th, especially when the expected points metric tells you they’re they were desperately unlucky to finish that low. 

As I said several posts back, we'll have to agree to disagree. I can't get excited by teams (and "styles" of manager) who's aim is to bore the shite out of everyone so they can claim they won possession, even though they can't score. It's just a nonsense and you won't convince me anything special is happening at Brighton that warrants Potter getting a job with one of the top 10 budgets in world football and a bigger budget than juventus. 

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

They still owe something like £800 million on the stadium then took £175 million loan from the government to cover Covid losses.  

I think they've refinanced it all now. Both them and arsenal settled their government debts recently I believe. They've both just taken that as it was effectively free money. 

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

I agree Bielsa would be great for them. Big fan of his football. Not sure he’d want to move to Spurs though.

I was talking to my Leeds supporting mate about Bielsa. I think he is a great manager but pointed out he never seems to be linked with anyone.

After sitting through 10 minutes of "he gets us" "he is 100% Leeds through and through" I drew my own conclusion that he is too much of a liability. Everywhere else he has been he has walked out. I think Leeds suites him as he has them by the balls, he doesn't have to tie himself down to anything more than 1 year at a time and doesn't really have to answer to anyone. Not sure there are many other clubs that would give a manager that much leeway.

20 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

After sitting through 10 minutes of "he gets us" "he is 100% Leeds through and through"

You did well to get through ten minutes.

Your mate did well to keep it to ten minutes.

Jeez - I hope that Beilsa bubble bursts soon. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think they've refinanced it all now. Both them and arsenal settled their government debts recently I believe. They've both just taken that as it was effectively free money. 

Oh aye? So they basically just had 12 months or whatever of reduced interest on their existing debt? Makes sense.

They still must owe the best part of a billion quid though.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

As I said several posts back, we'll have to agree to disagree. I can't get excited by teams (and "styles" of manager) who's aim is to bore the shite out of everyone so they can claim they won possession, even though they can't score. It's just a nonsense and you won't convince me anything special is happening at Brighton that warrants Potter getting a job with one of the top 10 budgets in world football and a bigger budget than juventus. 

I suppose what I’m trying to say is judging them by their position alone lacks nuance. If Watzke took the same approach as you they wouldn’t have gone anywhere near Jurgen Klopp. Who would you go for if you were Daniel Levy apart from Steve Bruce?

52 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I suppose what I’m trying to say is judging them by their position alone lacks nuance. If Watzke took the same approach as you they wouldn’t have gone anywhere near Jurgen Klopp. Who would you go for if you were Daniel Levy apart from Steve Bruce?

Results matter. You can be as nuanced as you want, but they matter. It's not like potter has been there 5 minutes, he's had 2 seasons, most of which have been played in sterile environments. I see nothing in his body of work at Brighton that suggests he's any more suited for the spurs job than he was 2 years ago when he started there. I really do understand you think he's great. I just disagree. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Oh aye? So they basically just had 12 months or whatever of reduced interest on their existing debt? Makes sense.

They still must owe the best part of a billion quid though.

Yeah. I think they could officially only use the previous loan for certain things or there were certain restrictions. So it was better for them to take a regular deal at a market rate. 

Edit... I've just had a quick look for a news story around it. I can't see anything but I picked it up off the Price of Football podcast. 

Edit, edit .... Here you go. https://www-tottenhamhotspur-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2021/june/club-announcement-finance-update-ccff-repaid-short-term-debt-replaced-with-long-term/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&gamp=true&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_ct=1624620660185&amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16246206179194&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tottenhamhotspur.com%2Fnews%2F2021%2Fjune%2Fclub-announcement-finance-update-ccff-repaid-short-term-debt-replaced-with-long-term%2F

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Results matter. You can be as nuanced as you want, but they matter. It's not like potter has been there 5 minutes, he's had 2 seasons, most of which have been played in sterile environments. I see nothing in his body of work at Brighton that suggests he's any more suited for the spurs job than he was 2 years ago when he started there. I really do understand you think he's great. I just disagree. 

His latest project Baz. Doing it to death as usual. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Aye, to go with Patrick Bamford who I could make a sarcastic comment about, but it'll only start a similar exchange to this one! 

Thats a big part of it - the players Brighton has after some years in the Prem are worse than what Leeds came up with. 

There are a few Leeds players who could contribute for us - maybe Bissouma from Brighton could imo.

Brighton were "better" with Murray upfront.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Aye, to go with Patrick Bamford who I could make a sarcastic comment about, but it'll only start a similar exchange to this one! 

Come on Barry you’re better than that. I know you are.

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Possession is one thing but they created quality chances in that if they had good finishers they would’ve finished much higher than they did. The expected points metric tells you that. It tells you very little about possession so I’m not sure sure why you keep banging that drum. I’m more than happy for you to put Steve Bruce name forward for the role but give me your reasons. I personally don’t think he’s half as talented as Graham Potter. He sets his team up a lot more negatively than Potter, yet his team managed to concede 16 more goals last season.