You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs

SlugTrail

"Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is facing a difficult summer of trying to control his wage bill, with Spurs players and agents likely to demand pay rises for finishing in the top four in the Premier League"

what with their new stadium to pay for, could this be a major problem for them keeping their better players. are they about to go through what Arsenal did when building the Emirates stadium, every year having to sell one or 2 players, namely their best players because they cant afford to pay them the wages that others will.

Each PL place is worth £850k, CL qualification should net them at least £35m and they have the new TV deal windfall, Spurs will manage fine.

With construction costs low as oil and steel prices have fallen, interests rates low, and new TV monies coming in, this is the ideal time for clubs to make major stadium investment which pays back over fifty years.

I expect Spurs to become more of a force in the coming years.

This table of PL wages may help the debate:http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

NO# CLUB 2013-14 2014-15 2015-16

3 Chelsea £190m £192.7m £215.6m

1 Manchester United £187m £215.8m £203 m

2 Manchester City £216m £205m £193.8m

4 Arsenal £166.4m £180.4m £192m

5 Liverpool £140m £144m £152m

6 Tottenham £112m £100.4m £110.5m

7 Newcastle United £68m £78.3m £75.8m

8 Everton £66m £69.3m £74.7m

This table of PL wages may help the debate:http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

NO# CLUB 2013-14 2014-15 2015-16

3 Chelsea £190m £192.7m £215.6m

1 Manchester United £187m £215.8m £203 m

2 Manchester City £216m £205m £193.8m

4 Arsenal £166.4m £180.4m £192m

5 Liverpool £140m £144m £152m

6 Tottenham £112m £100.4m £110.5m

7 Newcastle United £68m £78.3m £75.8m

8 Everton £66m £69.3m £74.7m

which looks great for them then, but if every first team player starts knocking on their door asking for a min £20k pw rise in line with the new tv deal and finishing 1st or 2nd then they will see that extra income flow back out the door very quickly.

once you taste success, those players that achieve that then want to be rewarded (well their agents want them rewarded). also you can only get away with paying your best players 80k a week when you are not winning things.

Kane is apparently now on £70k a week for a deal signed in January, this summer the big boys will be most likly offering his agent £200k a week to either temp him away, or put pressure on spurs to double his salary again.

we saw it with raheem last summer.

Spurs players have performance based contracts that provide a bonus dependent on league position, so I am inclined to think this is rubbish.

Plus they are owned by a billionaire, they'll get CL revenue and they'll get NFL revenue in the future.

Having said that they aren't in the same pay grade as City or Chelsea, but they don't have to be.

Spurs players have performance based contracts that provide a bonus dependent on league position, so I am inclined to think this is rubbish.

Plus they are owned by a billionaire, they'll get CL revenue and they'll get NFL revenue in the future.

Having said that they aren't in the same pay grade as City or Chelsea, but they don't have to be.

nor do they pay the same as arsenal, utd, or us, and we pay performance related contracts too. their wage bill will increase significantly they will be paying for a stadium that they will not be in for a couple of years, they will then have to become tennants at another ground for a few years, this will seriously affect their profits for the next few years.

how much of his own money has DL put into spurs, i would guess at none apart from the purchase.

nor do they pay the same as arsenal, utd, or us, and we pay performance related contracts too. their wage bill will increase significantly they will be paying for a stadium that they will not be in for a couple of years, they will then have to become tennants at another ground for a few years, this will seriously affect their profits for the next few years.

how much of his own money has DL put into spurs, i would guess at none apart from the purchase.

As stringvest says, DL isn't the owner. They are owned by a Joe Lewis and friends.

All clubs pay some degree of performance based bonus, but Spurs have always had this as central to their pay structure whereas we don't. A lot of their staff even have the same.

They'll either be at Wembley or Milton Keynes for a season which will affect their income for that season yes, but it will be more than covered by income from TV.

They will never be in a position to compete with City, Chelsea or Man U financially, but they aren't doing too badly at the moment.

The NFL element will be interesting - I wonder how much they will get from that.

The biggest question is how will all Premiership teams prevent rising wages now that we are at a new level of TV income. All teams are going to have players demanding more.

Guest Pistonbroke

Each PL place is worth £850k, CL qualification should net them at least £35m and they have the new TV deal windfall, Spurs will manage fine.

With construction costs low as oil and steel prices have fallen, interests rates low, and new TV monies coming in, this is the ideal time for clubs to make major stadium investment which pays back over fifty years.

I expect Spurs to become more of a force in the coming years.

I don't, they always cash in on their prize assets. Fuck the cockney cunts. 

Guest Pistonbroke

A 61k stadium will lift them above us in stadium revenue. Their days of fire sales are coming to an end.

You reckon? That stadium has to be paid for as have all the higher wages Spurs don't pay atm to CL players wanting more. That doesn't come over night. They'll sell as they always do and will continue to be a club knocking on the door and waiting to get in. The minute a manager has a bad patch they panic, sack and pay a fucking fortune to the outgoing staff and the incoming. Other teams will also strengthen and have a more solid base to start with. 

Spurs will have a few issues to navigate but I think they will be fine. They have a good manager and a good young squad. They have finished above us in most recent seasons, so it's not as if this season is a Leicester type flash in the pan.

Their biggest danger will be keeping hold of Pochettino. I could see Man Utd going for him. Beyond that the biggest danger is in keeping hold of their players, especially Kane and Alli. But I think they will be OK. Kane is Spurs through and through so he will sit tight, even if someone else offers him £200k per week. But Spurs will have to pay more, probably around £125k per week. With all the new TV money their wage structure will be revised upwards for their better players, and Kane will likely sit on the top of the pile.

Guest Pistonbroke

Spurs will have a few issues to navigate but I think they will be fine. They have a good manager and a good young squad. They have finished above us in most recent seasons, so it's not as if this season is a Leicester type flash in the pan.

Their biggest danger will be keeping hold of Pochettino. I could see Man Utd going for him. Beyond that the biggest danger is in keeping hold of their players, especially Kane and Alli. But I think they will be OK. Kane is Spurs through and through so he will sit tight, even if someone else offers him £200k per week. But Spurs will have to pay more, probably around £125k per week. With all the new TV money their wage structure will be revised upwards for their better players, and Kane will likely sit on the top of the pile.

Not so sure about Kane mate, he strikes me as the sort to jump ship for 200k wages. 

Not so sure about Kane mate, he strikes me as the sort to jump ship for 200k wages.

I hope he does, but I think it will be like Stevie with us when Chelsea came sniffing. He could get more elsewhere, but he will stay with his home team. The home team will still pay handsomely for the privilege, mind, as I can't see him staying on the money he's on now.

I could be wrong though. Maybe he will be off, ala Sterling, when someone else waves more money at him. I think the manager is key to keeping it all together for them.

Guest Pistonbroke

I hope he does, but I think it will be like Stevie with us when Chelsea came sniffing. He could get more elsewhere, but he will stay with his home team. The home team will still pay handsomely for the privilege, mind, as I can't see him staying on the money he's on now.

I could be wrong though. Maybe he will be off, ala Sterling, when someone else waves more money at him. I think the manager is key to keeping it all together for them.

We are both guessing at the end of the day mate, I just think players like SG, Giggs etc are hard to come by, especially these days. Maybe he'll stay next season as Spurs are in the CL, but if they aren't (or he has such a good EC in the summer) he'll be off to a club that offers the most. Spurs also don't try hard to keep their top players when big offers are placed.