You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prince

Mendoza

Which bit is ridiculous? The fact that they're old farts who rate themselves or the fact that he blows them off the stage?

I'm not even a fan of the old blokes in the clip and I thought it was a ridiculous post, bringing his skin colour into it was ridiculous, the fact you seem to think that people believe Tom Petty or Jeff Lynne are better guitarists than Prince is ridiculous and you seem to have missed the whole point of the music, where people get together and enjoy themselves playing or listening to a song, which is also a bit ridiculous.

It was a half decent version of a great song where Prince played a nice guitar solo at the end with some Ed Hazel licks, it wasn't a race riot, or a best guitarist competition.

• Upvote 7

I'm not even a fan of the old blokes in the clip and I thought it was a ridiculous post, bringing his skin colour into it was ridiculous, the fact you seem to think that people believe Tom Petty or Jeff Lynne are better guitarists than Prince is ridiculous and you seem to have missed the whole point of the music, where people get together and enjoy themselves playing or listening to a song, which is also a bit ridiculous.

It was a half decent version of a great song where Prince played a nice guitar solo at the end with some Ed Hazel licks, it wasn't a race riot, or a best guitarist competition.

Yep.

The skin colour reference is because rock and roll originated through from the Blues via black artists (Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc) but is no longer seen as such. I just thought it was ironic that Prince was taking those blokes to school in a genre they see as their own and (bar Harrison junior) they all had faces liked smacked arses on them. I thought musicianship of that level deserved a bit more respect/joy. I wasn't implying any racism on their part, though.

However, if you have a problem with an oblique reference to race, ignore that bit (even though Prince was black and it remains unusual to see black artists playing rock standards); Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne just looked intimidated by his talent to me and seemed reserved/churlish in their reactions to him. Dhanni (sp?) Harrison reacted in the way I think a performance like that merits: he was just buzzing off him.

• Upvote 3

You're inferring all sorts of nonsense that wasn't implied. However, if you think music exists outside the real world, where do you think it comes from?

What's all this took them to school nonsense? It was a performance they were all part of, I'm sure it was rehearsed, well done though for being able to read the minds of Lynne and Petty , not only do you know they were intimidated you also seem to know they consider the genre belongs to them. I think you're the one seeing things that aren't there. Bringing skin colour into it can only imply that Lynne and Petty have a problem with it, there is no other explanation.

• Upvote 1

They look pissed off/miffed as they are trying to end the song and he's continuing to solo his arse off.

I don't think it's anything other than that really.

Prince knows, you can see the mischief in his eyes.

Nothing more to it than that, for me. Funny to watch though.

They look pissed off/miffed as they are trying to end the song and he's continuing to solo his arse off. I don't think it's anything other than that really. Prince knows, you can see the mischief in his eyes. Nothing more to it than that, for me. Funny to watch though.

He could have kept that solo going for an hour and I'd be OK with it.

• Upvote 2

News breaking that he was suffering badly from AIDS. Still an awful disease even though you don't hear about it as much as you used to.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/79384924/prince-dead-prince-died-of-aids--reports

I wouldn't be shocked if that was true simply becase his sexual appetite was apparently as voracious as his public persona suggested and running around like a dog with two dicks back in the early 80s would have put him right in the frame for it.  Having said that, the bit I saw about it in the papers said that it originated from the National Enquirer (the story not AIDS, although nothing would shock me where the Enquirer is concerned) so I'm not sure it can be taken as gospel yet.

Anyway here's another little-known musician doing a tribute to him at a gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9aHGxf3nOk

• Upvote 2

Sign O The Times is my joint favourite live recording of all time along with Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads. Great songs, great musicianship and a great show.

Prince's guitar playing on Sign o' the times (live) is simply phenomenal.  It's up there with Jendrix's 'Driving South' (off the JHE BBC sessions) as the ultimate in expression through an electric guitar.

I was never a huge fan of Prince's music, especially after his output dipped considerably after his late '80's heyday. Probably due to a lack of quality control that comes with unimpeachable stardom and the desire to perpetuate a certain mythology around him. However, for me, Prince as a guitarist is/was arguably the only worthy successor to Hendrix in recent times. He was the perfect bluesman in that he could convey so much in so few beautifully chosen and executed notes it's almost unreal. 

• Upvote 2